Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I worry about these birds. They're so used to having people around them feeding them. They're probably confused. Hope they make it. :(

·
Registered
5,738 Posts
I saw on the FB group "Pigeon Angels", the police are feeding hungry pigeons in Kurdistan. Don't know where that is, but good for them.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh good! At least someone in some country cares. :) This disease didn't come from pigeons so they shouldn't be put at fault for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi Garye2, I thought too about wild pigeons...

The situation in Italy is really dramatic, many people are dying.
The government imposed really strict rules: people can't go out (except for some specific reasons like, for example, going to the grocery store, a self-declaration is however needed), all restaurants/coffee shops/not-essential shops must be closed, etc.

This means that birds can't find food around cities: usually people waste a lot of food (bread, brioche, etc); there are leftover after outdoor markets; etc... But not any more...

The pic that you posted shows pigeons in Duomo Square in Milan: tourists are used to feed pigeons and to take photos with them there.

Even French government imposed strict rules similar to the Italian ones (I'm Italian but I'm in France now).

When we will need to go out we will try to leave available some food for wild birds...

I'm glad to hear that Iraqi police is feeding pigeons.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know now is a difficult time for people around the world. Italy in particular. Amazing what this virus can do. I used to read about when they had influenza (they also believed that started in China) and how that spread around the world - even Alaska - but I never thought in my lifetime I'd be experiencing such a thing.

Spain is having problems too.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I wont lie. I am scared for my own life and family and loved ones. My wife and I are both in our late 60s and have lung and breathing problems and diabetic. If we were to catch it I think it might do us in. How are the rest of you dealing with it. We have isolated ourselfs the best way possible but still need to go to doctor visits and grocery store. I try not to think about it but you cant turn on tv or get on the internet without being reminded. How are all of you calming yourselves in this crazy thing. God bless all the people that are still working in the supermarkets and public places and those in the medical field.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My town has blocked us from going to hairdressers/barbers, tattoo parlors, restaurants unless they have takeout, and our state has heavily encouraged us to work from home if possible. (You would not BELIEVE how many companies resist people from working from home even if they can. The USA DOES NOT like people working from home.)

At least 4 in town have contracted the disease - possibly more, they stopped reporting it on their website. But I have neighbors across the street who refuse to practice social distancing and regularly have people coming over to their home to socialize every night for hours. They are the only ones in the neighborhood who keep doing this. I won't go over there.

It's impossible to find toilet paper as I know people are buying it continuously and are hording it. I am now using napkins.

No doubt this is going to hit us hard economically. We're too global now and China practically makes everything.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Here we have new restrictions every day: in the last days the Mayor imposed night-time curfew, has forbidden access to beaches and to the seaside.
As I said earlier we can go out only for some reasons (going to grocery stores, pharmacy in the neighborhood, etc) we have to fill and sign a form, police can check it. People could be fined in case of violation of rules.

All not-essential shops, restaurants, pubs, etc are closed. Parks, swimming pools, gyms, libraries, cinemas, etc are closed too. There is ban on gatherings.

A drone is used by the police around the city.

Even here (and in Italy as well) people are buying a lot of food like pasta, etc... Even toilet paper...

We can enter inside supermarkets a few at a time keeping a safe distance.

About me, I stay at home, I go out only when needed.

I understand your concern Blisters, I hope that you, your family and all your friends will be all fine.
I could suggest you (if possible) to order food online and to ask for home delivery.

Doctors and governments gave hygienic and behavioral rules like often washing hands with water and soap (or use hand sanitizer gel if you are outside), keep at least 1,5 metres away from each other, etc...probably your government and doctors gave you the same rules.

Even here TV just talks about virus.
The situation in Italy is catastrophic.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YOU CAN FIND TOILET PAPER???? Over here I know people are just buying it and hording it. They let the seniors in first - then the rest of us. No matter where you go here, everyone's looking for toilet paper. I may have to order on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Yesterday I went to the supermarket, I found more or less what I needed (except for hand soap...). It depends on the day... Last Monday afternoon I couldn't find anything... No pasta, no meat, no bread, no yogurt, no cheese, no brioche, etc... People were really panicked because we were waiting for the new government measures (which were announced by President Macron in the evening).

About what I know, supermarkets are being taken by storm everywhere around the world...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hi All, today i was in walmart in zepherhills fl i got most of the stuff i always buy jimmy deans breakfest bowls cat food water little debbie cakes, there was no bread no paper products no canned food, fruits and vegtables there was plenty of different things, meat was scarce you had to be in the store when they put it out to get any, walmart has a day for senior's to shop 1 hour be for the store opens i am going on tuesday to check it out. Robert

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Hi Robert, thanks for letting us know
about the situation in your location.

Shopping times reserved for seniors are a good idea, French and Italian supermarkets should adopt it, it's really important to protect seniors and all vulnerable people.

This afternoon I went to the supermarket, I took a few pics, as you can see there were not many things today...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
This morning I read this article:

https://www.hectorkitchen.com/reportage/coronavirus-millions-oiseaux-en-danger

As we said, pigeons are starving because they can't find food around the cities... You can see in the link a video taken in Spain.

The authors of the article suggest to people to help pigeons (respecting the confinement rules, of course) leaving some food available when they have to go out (about us, we do that).

I read that a homeless is feeding the pigeons in Duomo Square in Milan, here you can see the pics.

https://www.tgcom24.mediaset.it/cro...-che-accudisce-i-piccioni_16483474-2020.shtml

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least some people are making an effort. Thanks Colombina! Sometimes the homeless have more heart than other people. :eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You should see our toilet paper aisle. Nothing, I mean nothing, I'm saying NOTHING is there. And this is EVERY day even though I know they stock the shelves with it every day. The seniors get first dibs.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Lol if you want I can send you a package of toilet paper 😁!!!

Yes, that's true, sometimes humble people have more heart than other people..

A friend of mine told me that she is feeding the pigeons in her neighborhood, she has some friends who are feeding them too (respecting the confinement rules, of course!) 😊.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Guess what I found today.

TOILET PAPER.

Can you believe it? I was so happy, I bought the maximum amount allowed - 2 packages! Since they started with restricting the amount a person can buy at a time, the stores are starting to have some when other people go shopping.

I'M JUST SO HAPPY - I COULD CRY!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.