Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Like the title says, I am a perfectionist. I will soon have my first ever bird babies as my birds have been flirting for a week and this morning the female was lying in front of the boy saying come and get it. Vibrating her wings and aggressively grooming his face (but nicely and he was grooming her back) then he would rush up to her cooing and bowing and if I didn't have to go to work I probly would have seen them getting it on....(thats breeding behavior right?)

So they like their nest and she is sitting in it right now and I just wanna clean it every day because of a couple poops....but I need you guys to tell me I don't need to b/c a little poop is normal and ok...right?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hi Kim! What News!
Can you describe your loft, nest box(s) Avairy, so everyone , here, can understand the conditions that your pigeons have? :cool:
What kind do you have?

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
LOL...that's breeding behavior alright and a little poop in the nest is ok.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I have a huge parrot cage. I lost my pics when I switched comps but it's like 7 feet high, 4 and a half feet wide. I have 3 birds, an adult female and male and one juvie male.

Their nest is a large cooking pot that is filled with a towel on the bottom and then shredded newspaper (color free), and tissue paper. The girl pigeon already liked the nest a month go and would sleep in it. The girl is a white homer, the boy a black and white lahore.

I clean the cage usually twice a week and give new food every other day and water every day. The female actually likes to chew a cuttle bone which surprised me and they also get grit and vitamins/health care on a regular basis. all 3 pigeons were originally found on the streets at different times, juvie male was a battered baby, white homer female was attacked and has a lame wing and the lahore male was someones lost pet. Was not planning on ever having another bird as honestly I was annoyed with my previous ones (too loud for me) but I love the pigeons to death. :)

Only thing I know I did wrong was not isolate the newest bird which is the male lahore. I only kept him separated 2 days b/c I had no where for him to go and the lady who found him needed a place for him badly because she had no cage and her cats were hungry. I did however take him to the clinic I used to work for who treated birds and they ran his poop and checked him out.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Are you sure you want them to hatch babies Kim ? That would be a lot of pigeons in your house and a lot of pigeons for that cage. Have you thought about investing in wooden eggs? Once they start laying, they will continue to do so about once a month until the hen runs out of eggs. We're talking years.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you sure you want them to hatch babies Kim ? That would be a lot of pigeons in your house and a lot of pigeons for that cage. Have you thought about investing in wooden eggs? Once they start laying, they will continue to do so about once a month until the hen runs out of eggs. We're talking years.
Oh I just want to do it once. Unless i graduate to a real loft I will be replacing all future eggs :) I should expect 2 babies most likely right? I would be cool with 5 birds in the end....

Oh and I also let them out every day for exercise. i said I wouldn't b/c I am a clean freak, but I caved.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
You will need to add an additional. Odd numbers with pigeons is not good. They each will need a comapanion. Soon you are gonna have your own flock too.:eek: :D

Reactions: Kimberly_CA

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You will need to add an additional. Odd numbers with pigeons is not good. They each will need a comapanion. Soon you are gonna have your own flock too.:eek: :D
Well if there are 5 in the end I know someone who will take one of them if it comes to it so there is always a backup, she lives 2 hours from here but ill drive so they are happy..... she races them and has a huge loft, i know the bird would be well taken care of. I think 4 would be better than 6......about companions....must they be male/female or say, could 2 females be ok as companions?

Thank you so much

·
Registered
795 Posts
From what I hear right now, You and your pigeons are going to be just fine! ;)
What can I say!
For me I would always make sure that my pigeons would have enough room, 12 cu ft of space per pigeon. (5x5x5=125 cu ft. / 12= 10.41 pigeons)
Supply perches. (as many as possable)
Nest Boxes should be a mimimum 12"x 18'x 12' tall (or larger) if breeding.
Supply 2 nestboxes, per pair. Put in nest bowels (Base of flower pot)
Or just supply nest bowls and perches, enough so that they can choose.
The alpha male, will not tolorate another male, if he is breeding. ( be careful)
Straw, sticks, tobacco stems, work best for nesting material.
Supply grit, and water at all times. feed once or twice a day.

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Don't forget the oyster shell!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Yes 2 females can be paired together in the same cage. One will be dominant, eventually, so make sure that they get along together.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Oops theres something I didn't know bout (oyster). What is the function of that? I just looked pretty fast and noticed something said oyster or egg shell, is that true? So does it bring something to the table that the grit and cuttle bone are lacking? The grit has gravel, calcium and clay.

Here is my cage, I just remembered I had this pic somewhere else. You can see the female. and the pic makes the cage look smaller than it is. Like I said I was not planning on birds but once I found her (I found her first) I stalked the classifieds and found this cage for $35, extreme luck. I may not have the most perfect situation, I am a poor college student living on my own for the first time and do everything to keep them as happy as possible. :)

Some things have been changed around since this pic for better arrangement of perches and stuff, but you get the idea. and th nest pot is in a corner.

Thank you guys

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you stold that cage for $35.00!
Good find!
Oh yeah it was a complete steal. Totally clean and in perfect shape too, used to house chinchillas. the lady was moving and just needed someone to take it away, it weighed too much for her to move, very very heavy. I could barely believe my luck :D

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
If you are worried about a little pop in there now you may want to think about how much will be there when the babies are here. You will not be able to clean it at all until the babies get older and it can smell pretty bad if in your house.

·
Registered
7,469 Posts
* I have a huge parrot cage. I lost my pics when I switched comps but it's like 7 feet high, 4 and a half feet wide. I have 3 birds, an adult female and male and one juvie male.

** I clean the cage usually twice a week and give new food every other day and water every day.
* How long is the cage, Kimberly?

** We have a 8 ft L x 6 ft W x 6 ft H aviary (plans to enlarge are in the making :) ) that house 7 birds.
It's a must to clean it every day (changes in the weather, molting, mating, etc., can create some pretty unsightly, & less than fragrant, droppings :( ).
I also change the water dishes & providing fresh seeds daily. Depending on the time of year, the water dishes are refilled during the day. The grit dishes are refilled as needed.

As much as I wanted to clean the nest basket Dolly & Dumpling were in, as babies, I did refrain from doing so.

Please keep us posted & we'd love to see some pictures when time permits. :)

Cindy

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I don't mind the poop actually...im more worried about them having to step in it...I feel bad when anything isn't perfectly clean for any of my animals but you guys say it's ok, i will be ok with not cleaning the nest once the babies are here. and it's getting warmer and warmer so I open the window when it's nice out for fresh air. as long s I can still clean the bottom of the cage whenever i want then it will be ok.

and I just posted some pics of the happy couple over in the picture section, my cam sucks, but they are ok.

Thanks all for all the help :D

Oh and the cage i'd guess at 3-4 feet. I haven't really measured. I know wider is better than taller, but this wasn't a planned adventure. The pigeons found me ;)

·
Registered
13,042 Posts
Cindy,
I'm glad you shared your experience as you would know what it's like to have so many pigeons in the house. At one time I had 6 inside and 5 large cages. I would let them all out to free fly infarct 1 pair had their cage door open all the time, unless the dreaded Piggy was out. It was really something when they were in the mating mode and they seemed to all be on the same cycle...chasing..knocking thing over while in persuit...feathers...poop and dust.:eek: It wasn't their fault, they were just doin what pigeons do and frequently! Life really became easier when I moved all but 1 pair out of the house and into the garage aviary.
Kim, you don't know what you are getting yourself in for especially if you like to keep things clean. Good luck and you know we'll all love hearin about what ever happens. We are Great listeners and Master problem solvers. You just might get, I TOLD YOU SO, from me. LOL :D
I'm going to go look at the pictures now.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts