Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a few questions about my young bird training. Of the 8 birds I have 2 are older and are returning to the trap and trapping as soon as I ring the dinner bell. Rather than fly, both have been content to hang out on my roof or the loft roof. I want to encourage them to get up in the air and do a few laps before we go any further from home, however I don't want to scare them up fearing they may not want to come home and trap as readily. Of my remaining 6 birds 3 are trapping quickly and don't fear the bobs while the others are still a bit timid. Should I break up my training of the birds into 3 groups or should I try to get them all at the same level, and training proceedures? I'm gonna need a lot of help, and welcome any ideas....thanks

Jason

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and another
I've been feeding once a day, but wouldn't feeding 2x a day allow me twice the opportunity to work the "feed bell"

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon talk Jason!

How old are your birds? It seems that they are still a bit young and are still getting familiar with their surroundings. At about 2 1/2 to 3 months you wont be able keep a healthy youngbird from flying for no less than 30 minutes. I would suggest to stay the course with your training and they will soon all catch up to one another.

Glad to have you as a member!

Henry

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Oh and another
I've been feeding once a day, but wouldn't feeding 2x a day allow me twice the opportunity to work the "feed bell"
That is correct. A common mistake is that people tend to give too much feed for each feeding and the birds become fat and lazy. I feed about an ounce per bird when they are on regular feed. If there is still food in the feeder after 10 mintues and they are not paying attention to it then you're over feeding them. You have to find a balance with your flock. For me an ounce per bird is just right and it's a good place to start.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Welcome to Pigeon talk Jason!

How old are your birds? It seems that they are still a bit young and are still getting familiar with their surroundings. At about 2 1/2 to 3 months you wont be able keep a healthy youngbird from flying for no less than 30 minutes. I would suggest to stay the course with your training and they will soon all catch up to one another.

Glad to have you as a member!

Henry
I agree with Henry! Give them time one thing you need to learn in this hobby is to be patient. Your birds are just getting to learn the sorrounding once their ready they will eventually fly. About a week or two you will see them flying it is very important that they all out the sametime everyday. Don't call them until you're ready to let them in and feed them. Remember they need to know that whatever call you do is associated with food. Don't confuse them, sometimes I lock my birds out that way they get to really overcome some fear. Most of the time if you let them out they go in right away because of fear so they need to get over the fear and be able to learn the outside. Do you have a settling cage or aviary for them to go in and out when you're not around, this is very important to teach the young birds built their confidence.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The two that I have been liberating were born Jan1st...I had them first so they got a bit more attention, both are tame and have no problems bieng handled.

I do have a settling cage, all the birds have been in/out at thier liesure.

My youngers sets were born Jan17th and Jan 21st

I appreciate the direction and advice. I'm a atv mx racer so patience is not a virtue I've had to practice, when I get frustrated or behind I just grab a bit more throttle till I'm up front or on my head. However I have more respect for my animals so I'll take my time w them

·
Registered
503 Posts
I have birds that hatch January and I still have some that are due to hatch. The trick is not to let them get too old and strong in the wing. Make it a rule that the younger birds you have are let out before they loss their squeeker voice. Because they will not fly right away and their wing are not that strong yet. Wean your young birds 25 to 28 days after hatching, or if the feathering under the wings are all out and once they are responding to your command and know how to go in and out of the loft then you can start loft breaking them.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I've also found that some of the birds are a bit sketchy compared to the others, should I pay any attention to this matter or just atribute it to personality and traits of the bird.
I love the analogies

·
Registered
39 Posts
I appreciate the direction and advice. I'm a atv mx racer so patience is not a virtue I've had to practice, when I get frustrated or behind I just grab a bit more throttle till I'm up front or on my head. However I have more respect for my animals so I'll take my time w them
Its just like setting up that guy that rolls the entire track and rides that wide bike, you have to be patient, follow his lines one lap, next lap try squaring some corners, next lap you when he tries to ride wide into the corner you block pass him and pull away with confidence.

I am just learning this hobby and also Race (Motocross/Supercross not ATV's). I used to raise birds when I was a little tike, and now I built a makeshift loft that some ferals have actually made home. I am looking to raise a few youngsters.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread, but you being a noobie and racing Atv's caught my attention. So far from what I have seen the people here are great and very helpful. It is really cool that you have 8 birds, I hope to be there next year letting them fly the open skys' on their way back to my loft in record time (wishful thinking for a guy with some unhomed ferals, lol.)

Best Wishes

·
Registered
814 Posts
SMMWEST: Welcome to PT :)

Atvracinjason: Welcome to PT :) Just wanted to drop a bit of stuff I've garnered over the years, just opinions, so hope it helps. 1st of all, feeding on a twice a day, regular same time schedual is imperative [I think]. Your birds have to get used to your loft, give them time, cause I think they still a bit young, but it's a good time to imprint on their minds as you the feeder. The 'older' birds you have, are in actuality quiet young, but it's good since they already know the ropes a bit, they will be able to guide the younger 1's home later. Rattling the food can and having them chase/follow it around has always helped me with young [your 'older'] birds. At this stage/age it's alot about patience,not what u wanna hear ;) but true. you got to give them time to grow up. As for the different personalities, learn the traits, each is an individual, treat and love it like that, and you/they will bond that will supercede any training method. Good luck, with both the pigeons n racing, and keep us posted, peace :) YaSin.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the help and support everyone
-what are some of the superstitions that flyers have?
-do flyers/racers namer thier birds when young or only once they have been proven as worthy?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I've got some mystery birds...the product of a falcon stricken bird and a homer who decided to hang out with my bosses rollers...so far so good these suckers are the most attentive and trap at sound of the dinner bell FAST!
My others(younger) are descendants of Clausing/Benson birds, as well as some others fomr Flyhome and Continental Breeding station
I was VERY concerned about getting ripped off for birds through the mail and then having to catch a flight to "open a can" on a dirtbag in another state, luckily a 2 1/2 hour drive in the rain got me to Palmdale and I met with Tim Ross, who gave me guidance and a great jump start. I was so excited to have the input and see a large loft set-up(cleaner than some hospitals I've been in).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts