Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting some homer from a local guy. I've never had pidgeons befor so i really am starting from scratch. I am getting 12 birds that are all 3 to six months old. I dont want to race or anything but I want to have them to take out with the kids and see how fast they get home. Just a family project.
1. at what age do they start to breed.
2. how long is incubation period.
3. the birds have never been flown so could i let the birds out and would they come back to me or go to his house.(we only live about three blocks away from each other) I have been online trying to research but figured it would be easir to just ask.
Thank you for any and all responses
Sean

·
Premium Member
9,476 Posts
Hi Sean

Pigeons should be capable of breeding from around 6 months - some say as early as 4 months - but that doesn't mean it's advisable for them to do so. Eggs are incubated anything between 17 - 20 days generally.

I'm not a racing/homing person, so wouldn't presume to advise on that, but hopefully our homing enthusiasts will pick up on this.

John

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
3. the birds have never been flown so could i let the birds out and would they come back to me or go to his house.(we only live about three blocks away from each other) I have been online trying to research but figured it would be easir to just ask.
Thank you for any and all responses
Sean
There are a few threads in the homing and racing pigeon section, in the pigeon for sport forum. They will give you very good advice on training.

If the birds have never been released, chances are they will return to you-if properly trained, and since you have the option of picking them up from the former owners, you can certainly try it. However, the ideal age for training homing pigeons starts at four to six weeks. They need to be trained within the confines of their coop for 3 to 4 weeks, trained to the sound of a whistle when it is feeding time (never feed them before they are released, always stay with them until they are all inside the coop and close coop from outside world once they are inside). and trained to know how to enter the coop thru the drop trap or other type trap. Be consistent and it will pay off. After the indoor training they can then be released and further trained.

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
I can add that you probably can breed those 6 months pigeons already. It is possible to resettle them, but you may loss some, but fortunately, your neighbor is near so you can work together if they ever try to attempt to go back there. If you want to resettle them make sure they have available aviary or some settling cage on the landing board so that they can observe their surroundings.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
You shouldn't have any troubles training those youngsters to home to your loft. Following what Treesa has mentioned is your best bet. Remember that food is the motivator for all things when it comes to training pigeons.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.