Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advanced for such a long post. But once I got started talking about it, I just HAD to get it out.

So as most of you probably already know...unless you missed my last update....I got married back in October and moved out here to California in December. Soon it'll be a year that I've been here but it certainly doesn't feel like it.

I live on a Marine base so no pigeons allowed. No birds of any kind actually. We are only allowed a dog - just one dog, under 25 pounds. I DO still have pigeons! They are back home in NC with my dad. I have been busy trying to reduce the numbers as much as I can so dad doesn't have so many to take care of. He was a pigeon fancier long before I came around so it's nothing new to him. He will race my homers for me and do all the stuff I normally did until I finally get to move back. No telling when that will be :( Depends on how long Michael wants to be a Marine.

It is very different out here. The people are weird and the water tastes awful. The weather is perfect though - we live close enough to the ocean that there is always a breeze. Not too hot and there is NO humidity! It's like heaven! I thought I was going to die from all the moisture when I went back home to visit. At home you could stand outside, just stand there....in the shade....and sweat. Another thing, I live in a housing development. In a little apartment building thingy, like 8 two story houses squished together in one building. So no yard, just a patio. Well....we do have some grass and a flower bed outside our door....and some shade trees....but I don't consider that a yard! Totally different from the double-wide and 5.5 (half wooded) acres out in the country I was used to. But being able to walk to the store is pretty neat. Gives me something to do.... Speaking of things to do, there are plenty of those out here! If you have a little spending money. Lots of new places to go and see and things to try and the beach is like 15 minutes away! But we have mountains all around us at the same time. It's so weird!

So yeah, that's what it is like living out here. Now for the real update I came to give you guys. George mentioned in another thread that my dad had gotten into an accident and I went home. Well, here is what happened.
http://www.salisburypost.com/article/20130530/SP01/130539948/0/SEARCH&slId=1

Let me tell you how this all went down. So it happened around 11am EST I believe. I was still asleep of course. Being stuck on my husbands sleep/work schedule, we usually do not get up until around 2pm which was around the time I found out. Keep in mind, that is 6-7 hours AFTER the accident when I found out. I got up, Michael left for work, I got on facebook. A couple family friends had sent me messages asking about my dad. I was confused - why are they asking about him? Two people who don't know each other sent messages to me within 5 minutes of each other. "Let me know about your dad" "Is your dad such-and-such who worked for the town?" Yes....yes....why do you ask? Was he in the paper or something? Ironic I ask. Yes indeed he was. But before anyone could tell me what was going on I was already in panic mode. I just knew something was wrong. Called my mom crying asking where daddy was. He's at work - have you heard from him? - No - Did he take his phone? - No he ran over it and crushed it a few days ago on accident - Have you heard from him?? Is he okay?? I'm worried! Mom was totally confused until my friend finally replied back saying my dad's truck was hit and it was in the newspaper (online).

So I went on the Post.....and then I REALLY freaked out. And called everyone whilst sobbing uncontrollably. Michael couldn't even understand the words I was babbling on the phone but knew it was serious and came home. I got a hold of the hospital and found out he was stable, then called someone to take my mom to the hospital.

Yeah, you have that right. I was the first one to find out - 3 THOUSAND MILES AWAY, 6 HOURS AFTER IT HAPPENED. Actually, they called my brother when they got to the scene, but he was in TN and later on when we asked him why he didn't call us, he said he figured surely they had contacted my mom first before calling him. Anyway, I had my plane ticket and was home the next morning.

Now for what the newspaper didn't tell you. This woman was estimated going over 50MPH in a 25MPH speed zone. My dad had finished mowing a lawn, loaded his mower on the trailer, and was putting the pins in the tailgate when she hit his truck head on, which proceeded to push the large parked truck (with the parking brake on as well), trailer (complete with 800 pound lawn mower), and my dad 20 feet backwards. Not just "a few feet". The support beam on the tailgate went into his forehead, separated the flesh and left scuff marks on his skull. The impact from when he finally hit the asphalt fractured the back of his skull - but the fractures wrapped around the side and basically broke his inner ear on the left side (so permanently deaf in it now). He also broke his collar bone and some ribs and of course had brain bleeds and concussions.

Sounds pretty awful doesn't it? Now try to imagine how awful it must have LOOKED. I didn't recognize him when I first got there from how swollen he was. I'm grateful they took the breathing tube out before I arrive or I probably would have lost it. I was so worried when, if, he woke up from the chemical coma they put him in, he wouldn't remember any of us or not be able to function. But an angel must have been holding on to him when he got hit and stayed with him in the hospital cause he surprised us all. It was only like 5 days maybe? and he was out of ICU. By day 9 he was up walking and had regained enough sense to be released from the hospital altogether with no rehab. We knew he was stubborn and hardheaded, but holy cow! He really DOES have a HARD HEAD! Haha.

I stayed home for a couple months to help take care of him and the birds. I left to come back to Cali Aug. 4th. He is basically back to normal now. Really his only problems are his vertigo/motion sickness due to being deaf in one ear and the occasional "I feel like I'm floating all over the room". My dad is a work, work, work all the time kinda guy and hates to stay down and recover so it was hard to get him to stay in one place. But somehow we managed. It was still pretty hard on him emotionally not being able to do things he used to as easily as he used to. He had some pretty depressing days and felt like he was never going to get better. But all is good now :) He still has a way to go before he is 100% (other than the ear of course) but he's getting there. He's gotten to where he can drive again if he takes it slow and plans to start training the birds soon.

This whole thing was very........just very. Let's leave it at that cause whenever I think about what happened, it is hard to believe. Something like that happening in such a small town to my dad out of all people. It's surreal.
If I had any doubts that miracles could happen, they are gone now!

And now for a happy update!! I have started online school for pharmacy technician! :) I'm so excited! A subject I am interested in and lots of job opportunities no matter where we go. There are tons of pharmacies out there and at least one is bound to need a tech :p

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So now you know a few of the reasons I haven't been around here lately. I do get on facebook like every day but I haven't visited many other sites very often. I've been busy doing artist trading cards and trading with people from all over. And of course my school stuff and the other random things I do to pass the time while Michael is at work. I'm also always stressing over my birds. It is pretty difficult managing a flock from the other side of the country. If anyone needs some breeders, let me know. I could always stand to let go of a few to make it easier on dad. I've basically been giving them away since no one is willing to pay for anything this time of year -sigh-. I think I've gotten down to the nitty gritty in my breeder loft but I do have a few bandless YBs that would make fine breeders for someone.

Also, worth mentioning some ways to get a hold of me if I disappear for a while again....

On facebook https://www.facebook.com/CaptainKristine
On youtube http://www.youtube.com/MaryOfExeter249
By email [email protected]

My inbox here at Pigeon-Talk is usually full or almost full so emails usually get to me more easily.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Oh Becky... I am so sorry to hear about your dad's accident... it sounds horrific and I cannot imagine how you must have felt!!

I am glad however that your dad is well now. Angels must have loved him! The accident sounds really awful... what a nightmare it must have been for your family to find out that way.

You have such a strong family. Take care ok. Thank you for letting us know how you're doing.

HUGS! Hope you dad continues to recover and stay strong!!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Wow, just saw your thread Becky, I can't believe that happened to your Dad, it must of been horrible, but, you still have him thank The Lord!. Glad you checked in, I know your missed, ESP the genetics junkies!..lol.. Stay safe and enjoy your adventure in "Cali". :)

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I am very glad to hear your dad is doing so well. We have wondered where you have been and it's really sad that it had to be so horrific. I thought you had gone to California and...started a family.

I am also glad that things are turning around to put you in a happier place. Let your hubby know that I appreciate his service, and yours for supporting him. Are you ready to be a lifer's wife, if that's what he decides to do?

Good luck with your tech training. I'm sure you'll be as good at that as you have been as a pigeon fancier.

Good luck to your dad, and to you and hubby. Thanks for updating us!

Dave

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone :) Yes I'm at Pendleton. I agree, the weather is great, the people not so much lol. Although on base people seem to be more "normal" haha.

Almondman, I'm prepared although I won't enjoy it much :p I'm like my birds - I like to be home. But it's whatever. At least this gives me the opportunity to go new places and see new things. A few years ago if someone said I'd be living in California, or even visit California for that matter, I'd say they were crazy!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mary, Im sure you don't remember me for I am fairly new as compared to you. I always respected and looked at your posts. Now if only Smith family lofts would show up again. Welcome back!:)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't know who you are, really, but I'm so sorry for your dad and glad the doctors were able to save him :) sorry about his ear, though.

I hope it all works out, I don't know what I'd do without being to see,hear and touch my birds.

Thank you to your husband for his service (has he been deploye? Thanking anyways, lol). My dad retires in a few months - 20 years :eek:
Well maybe you'll be able to be re-located to where you can keep pigeons (do Marines re-locate? Lol, my dads in the army, not marines, so I have no idea how marines work)

I hope there are better days ahead for you :eek:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Thanks everyone :) Yes I'm at Pendleton. I agree, the weather is great, the people not so much lol. Although on base people seem to be more "normal" haha.

Almondman, I'm prepared although I won't enjoy it much :p I'm like my birds - I like to be home. But it's whatever. At least this gives me the opportunity to go new places and see new things. A few years ago if someone said I'd be living in California, or even visit California for that matter, I'd say they were crazy!
Well - it will be what it will be. You have to live where you are today, to fully appreciate where you lived before. Make the most of what you have, and who knows, maybe hubby's next post will be somewhere really exotic. :D
Take care.

·
Registered
505 Posts
becky, i'm so glad your dad is doing so well, i'm an intensive care nurse and it would blow your mind of all the people I've terminally extubated because of brain bleeds and traumas, he truly had someone watching over him, we've seen a big increase with the cell phone use, they don't belong in a vehicle, glad you're doing ok, probably very lonely on the other side of the country without your family and pigeons, get your schooling done while you can, good luck and before you know it you'll be racing again, glad to hear from ya

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't know who you are, really, but I'm so sorry for your dad and glad the doctors were able to save him sorry about his ear, though.

I hope it all works out, I don't know what I'd do without being to see,hear and touch my birds.

Thank you to your husband for his service (has he been deploye? Thanking anyways, lol). My dad retires in a few months - 20 years :eek:
Well maybe you'll be able to be re-located to where you can keep pigeons (do Marines re-locate? Lol, my dads in the army, not marines, so I have no idea how marines work)

I hope there are better days ahead for you
Thank you :) And tell your dad I appreciate his service as well. That's a long time! Congrats to him on the retirement! ;)

Yes we'll be moving every few years. This is his first enlistment so it is a bit longer. If we ever decide to move off base, a small portable loft would be awesome. I have a whole plan on what I'd do. But for now, I'm just hanging out pigeon-less lol. I know a lot of fanciers out here thankfully so whenever I get too deprived I can always go hang out at their loft. I'm really hoping next time around we go to one of the bases in NC/SC/VA/GA so we could just drive home every once in a while for visits! Anyhoo no he hasn't deployed yet, thank goodness. Although he wants to. Not necessarily anywhere "dangerous" per se, he just wants to get out of the country. He really wants to go to Japan :rolleyes: They are a little too close to N. Korea for my liking LOL

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
becky, i'm so glad your dad is doing so well, i'm an intensive care nurse and it would blow your mind of all the people I've terminally extubated because of brain bleeds and traumas, he truly had someone watching over him, we've seen a big increase with the cell phone use, they don't belong in a vehicle, glad you're doing ok, probably very lonely on the other side of the country without your family and pigeons, get your schooling done while you can, good luck and before you know it you'll be racing again, glad to hear from ya
Oh man that sounds like one very stressful job! Especially with how combative people with head injuries can get. When he came to enough to realize he was in a hospital, he of course didn't realize what had happened or how bad it was. Had to keep telling him no, we can't leave. No, you can't get out of your bed/chair. He got pretty frustrated and it was so sad :( But I did think it was funny when they had him sitting in the chair beside the bed with his "seatbelt" on.....secured behind the recliner so he "couldn't get out of it". But he was smart enough to slide it around where he could get to the Velcro and undo it LOL. Oh and the things he said :p He can't believe it when we tell him how crazy he sounded/acted while he was there haha.

Oh and when we first got him home, it wasn't but a few days before he was trying to sneak out on us. You know they want you to pretty much stay right beside/behind them at first until they get to walking normal. Well he would wake up before us and sneak out on the porch.....usually the farthest he would go on his own was maybe to the garden and back, for a while anyway. But then as he got better he got more brave. One morning my mom woke me up - "Becky, go get your daddy he's on the backhoe knocking over some trees!" :eek: Yep, decided he couldn't wait to knock over those dead cherry trees and just had to get it done. :rolleyes: Or "Becky he's across the creek on the lawn mower" and his excuse was "Well the grass was too high and I wanted to get the mosquitos down" ahaha. I managed to get where I'd wake up if I heard him get up so there were plenty of early mornings I supervised while he'd do his daily job to make him feel like he accomplished something. He's such a goober!

·
Registered
258 Posts
Gosh, Becky! I am SO glad your Dad is going to be all right! People just don't seem to realize that vehicles are downright dangerous and can become a tool of destruction very easily. One moment of inattention and you can kill yourself or someone else. makes you want to never drive a car again! Anyway, I'm happy for you that he's all right, and happy for your new career opportunity!

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh, that reminds me. She was under the influence of something, not alcohol but we are waiting on the test results. She wasn't hurt :p

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Becky,

Briefly, glad to read everything is going better, for you, and your dad. Nice to read about your interest in pharmacy technician work.

I always like to make a (usually black humor) joke or remark when someone has a crisis, or something bad happeens. A weird way to make someone laugh, then they think twice and say, that wasn't funny. Then, a minute later, they think, actually, there's no humor at all in that comment!

You can tell your dad that, before his accident, he didn't have the ability to turn a deaf ear to someone, but now he has.

He's lost something, but also gained something.

(When I illustrate my bad jokes with a cartoon and send the card to a relative, I put on the back of the card "Better Never Than Ever Cards".

Actually, being deaf in one ear can be a real aggravation. I lost my hearing in one ear for about a week due to an antibiotic treatment in 1994 or so (not long enough to know how the long-term effect would have been). It was confusing and annoying. Distracting. Maybe one analogy to use for those who haven't experienced it would be to say that it was like someone shining a small but strong light into your eyes, intermittently, distracting you, sometimes painfully, sometimes just annoyingly, but always in an unwelcome manner. You would have trouble occasionally placing the source of a sound. You wouldn't always know if someone was talking to you (if they were talking in a low voice) or to someone else, or if it was a distant buzzing made by some unidentified object. Most of the times it was irritating, nothing more.

I was relieved when my hearing returned to bilaterally "normal."

Anyways, enough blather, and I wish you and yours all the best. And hopefully the driver "under the influence" crawls out from under her burdens and has a different and better "impact" on others in the future. Maybe she should also do some community service scooping pigeon poop at your lofts. LOL.

Larry.

I'm 66 today. Getting fuzzy-brained. So please excuse the ramblings always enjoy reading your posts (although I don't always manage to "tune in" to PT every single day).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts