Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One question...

The real pigeon racing sport was it really worth every dime.

I need an honest answer (advice) before I move forward into deeper territory. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
ANY hobby is worth what you spend on it. IF it makes you happy and interested. Look at costs of going to movies, eating out ect The over all pigeon hobby Costs no more. And those that spend more have a little more to spend The hobby is what you afford it.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
I use to have a hobby of getting married ! Now with wife #3, she has convinced me that perhaps I should find something else to occupy my time. So, I took up pigeons. But, if you think about it, getting married and then divorced, can be a pretty expensive "hobby", and if you think about it, not really all that much fun.

·
Banned
2,389 Posts
WHAT????? is the cost of your enjoyments. $1 for a cold Coke/BEER? or maybe putting Gas in you auto just to go and visit a friend?
It is something only you can decide. To me its worth ever Penny. And those Pennies have added up to $1,000's of Dollars over the last 30 years. Looking back -If I did not have Pigeons I could have Retired 5 years eariler. BUT I'd do it all again.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Nothing but blue skies here. Pigeon racing is what you put into it. Just for example, fishing can be as expensive or inexpensive as you want it to be.

Expensive = buy a boat, hundreds of dollars on lures, and take long trips to exclusive spots to catch "the big one".

Inexpensive = buy a $20 dollar fishing pole, a bag of sinkers, a few hooks, a container of worms, and walk down to the local lake with the son, nephew, or grandson and fish for sunnies.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
I use to have a hobby of getting married ! Now with wife #3, she has convinced me that perhaps I should find something else to occupy my time. So, I took up pigeons. But, if you think about it, getting married and then divorced, can be a pretty expensive "hobby", and if you think about it, not really all that much fun.
Sounds like you failed at the hobby a couple of times before you got it right. THATS ok everyone has to learn in there hobby

·
Registered
419 Posts
Look on the bright side Warren, you wern't on the "Widdowhood system"! :0 As far as the origial question, how can you put a price on happiness? You have to decide if they make you happy and what that is worth to you. As far as me, I'm having more fun than a pig in mud! I will REALLY be having fun when one of my Whites proves his worth to a certain someone this year. LOL Jim

·
Registered
4,850 Posts
You come to a site about pigeons, a site that has a lot of people that race pigeons. Of course we like it, if we didn't we would be fishing.
Dave

·
Registered
671 Posts
I think its the most relaxing hobby. Get a six pack. Go to your yard and watch your birds.
Take them for a toss. Join a club put them in a race. After 25 years im back.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Warren...LOL... Divorce is expensive because it's worth it....much in the same way keeping pigeons is worth it.... kinda... maybe?

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Look on the bright side Warren, you wern't on the "Widdowhood system"! :0 As far as the origial question, how can you put a price on happiness? You have to decide if they make you happy and what that is worth to you. As far as me, I'm having more fun than a pig in mud! I will REALLY be having fun when one of my Whites proves his worth to a certain someone this year. LOL Jim
Well....would any of these whites happen to be going to say the Flamingo International Challenge ? You might be a good enough fancier, that you could get a barn pigeon to win a race in your club. How about sending one of those whites to the Flamingo and then if you win the 350 mile event, I will buy you a steak dinner to help you celebrate. I will send some color, any color, other then white, if my non-white bird passes your white bird on the way home from the 350, then you buy me the steak dinner. (Gift certificates will work up here) :p At any rate, you keep thinking BIG !! Manybe someday your dream will come true !!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Wait I have to WIN it with a white to eat steak, but you just have to come in before mine. Are you really saying that my bird has to beat every bird entered and yours just needs to beat one, mine? Hardly seems fair from a man that is convinced whites are no good. You sure you don't want mine to fly it backwards to whole way as well? At those odds you'd be lucky to get a snack at Taco Bell out of me. LOL Let me tell you my idea of fair. First off all I only have three birds in white or mostly white 95%+ that will be ready to send before the entry deadline but I can send one to the Flamingo. Since you got to pick the bird you challenge I should get to pick one bird from the ones you enter at random. Then which ever bird does better at the 350 wins steak. 400 would suit me better but 350 is good. How does that sound? If I really need to win the whole thing with a white, I think you should buy steak for me and Dennis Kuhn, plus you have to take your wife out on the town in style in my whites honor. LOL Jim

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Hobbies are for fun, to keep you happy, to do something meaningful with your time :) When done for the value of money or in other words for monetary benefits, its called business. Some may have hobbies which are succesful business too, with my fancy pigeons, I am not in a loss yet but don't know how it will be on the road ahead...

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Wait I have to WIN it with a white to eat steak, but you just have to come in before mine. Are you really saying that my bird has to beat every bird entered and yours just needs to beat one, mine? Hardly seems fair from a man that is convinced whites are no good. You sure you don't want mine to fly it backwards to whole way as well? At those odds you'd be lucky to get a snack at Taco Bell out of me. LOL Let me tell you my idea of fair. First off all I only have three birds in white or mostly white 95%+ that will be ready to send before the entry deadline but I can send one to the Flamingo. Since you got to pick the bird you challenge I should get to pick one bird from the ones you enter at random. Then which ever bird does better at the 350 wins steak. 400 would suit me better but 350 is good. How does that sound? If I really need to win the whole thing with a white, I think you should buy steak for me and Dennis Kuhn, plus you have to take your wife out on the town in style in my whites honor. LOL Jim
Remind me never to play cards with you ! :p I thought perhaps I was being just a bit to slick. I was thinking perhaps that you would be biting at the bit so bad, that you would jump and say OK with my. ....(slightly ;) ) unfair challenge. You are on my man !!! You will need to pick the band number early, you can't wait until training. I might be giving you too much of a handicap, but we shall see.

Now that I helped take us so far off topic, I will bring us back.....see how fun this can be ? Just wait, I will put my steak eating on a video and upload to You Tube, and put it all on here for everyone to see. Warren eating steak bought and paid for by my friend Jim down in Fla. I can hear and almost taste the sizzle. Now, how can you put a price on such fun ?!

·
Registered
419 Posts
Warren I want you to find the place that sells the most expensive steaks in your area, then read the rest of the menu to see if the sell crow. Thats all you'll be eating my friend, put that on You Tube. LOL I don't think we are so far off topic, bluebird asked if it was worth it and we are answering by example. Trust me bluebird not only are my birds worth everything I have invested, my steak will be worth every cent Warren spends on it! Jim

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Warren I just tried to look up your entries in the Flamingo, you do know you have to enter birds to race don't you? ;) Jim
You are getting ahead of yourself. Take a deep breath. I know the opportunity to outdo a two time Flamingo Winner must have you near peeing your pants....but please consult the Flamingo Rules....and by the way, are your white crows down there yet ?

http://www.flamingoic.com/index.php?SYS_MNU03_00_current_mp=15&View=RaceRules

We will receive birds from February 1st till June 30th.

This is only April 25th. And this is a little OT for this thread. Perhaps you should start a new thread, with a picture of your white crows, that you hope will return from the first race.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
To me, pigeon racing is worth more than I have put into it. It is the greatest sport I have participated in. There have been a lot of them.

My wife likes that I am in it also. That means my hobby is on the property and not in a bar, pool hall, or ________ (insert whatever vice location you want).

I have "pigeon lung disease", and have to take more precautions than most flyers. But it is way beyond "worth it".

To each his or her own and it may not be for some. But if you are asking, then I'm betting you will not regret it.

It costs whatever you let it cost. Five hundred bucks a year is more than adequate and is less than a cartoon of cigarettes or tank of gasoline, (slight exageration, but you get the idea). :)

On a different note. Warren, why do so many "challenge" you? Is it your bubbly personality, or just the normal competitor in us all, to challenge someone considered slightly "above" us in whatever endeavor?

I'm guessing the latter. But it just MIGHT be the bubbly thing. :)

Personally I wouldn't mind kicking your butt on a race or two (that goes for anyone and everyone else here too). But it ain't "personal". Just the competitor in me.

Good luck to all, and may the best pigeons win. Each and every time.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
......On a different note. Warren, why do so many "challenge" you? Is it your bubbly personality, or just the normal competitor in us all, to challenge someone considered slightly "above" us in whatever endeavor?

I'm guessing the latter. But it just MIGHT be the bubbly thing. :)

Personally I wouldn't mind kicking your butt on a race or two (that goes for anyone and everyone else here too). But it ain't "personal". Just the competitor in me.
First of all, I do have a very healthy dose of self confidence, doesn't matter what the game or task at hand, perhaps like the champion boxer Muhammad Ali, people mistook his self confidence as being "cocky" or some might say arrogance. So, I guess I do sort of ask for it. It is my way of keeping myself focused on the task at hand.

In my own mind, I am the best there ever was. If I can't see myself in my own mind as a winner, I would never be able to discipline myself to do all the things that one must do, to really become that winner. So, perhaps other people also see that same star quality....;).... and thus, they figure if they could ever beat one of my bird's then they must be on their way to star power as well.

I will tell you, it is lonely at the top ! Mike Ganus is correct, in that no one like's a winner. If you want lot's of friends on the club or combine level, then learn to be a good loser...week after week. Well, I never learned to like losing. So, of course, I am the one to throw little barbs at. It comes with the territory.

Well, at least that is my story, and I am sticking with it !! :p

And oh gee....this is so OFF Topic....and so this is why this game is so fun. You get to spred a whole bunch of bs...around.....:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts