Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Today I went to get some bird supplies at a very large pet store well knowned and I spied this yellow canary laying in a feed cup breathing really heavy and its foot was reddish looking but I figured maybe thats how little birds like this breathe for they are so little and I went back a second time and the finches were bothering him and flying around making all kinds of dust that was flying into his face and he just looked bad to me especially with him fooling with his foot and making it red and there was a feather sticking out of the tiny black band on his foot and I thought well thats what it is but he looked so sick to me--so I went and got the salesperson--and told her that I thought that the bird was sick and do they ever sell sick birds at half price because I want to buy it and she said she can't sell a sick bird and to show her where it is so that they can bring it to their store vet usually on Mondays so I walked her to the cage and she scared the bird to make it move and it took off like a jet engine and I thought that bird fooled me --its not sick and she agreed--just napping...I really am a sucker and went back and looked at the yellow canary again and it was breathing funny to me (what do I know)--never had a canary and don't know much about them either and this one is sure getting my attention. Then I asked her if she ever saw any come back to the store--she was getting uncomfortable with my questioning and she said I guess they do and then sometimes....So I said : "Well since it is not sick I want to buy the birdie" (figuring it would be about 20 dollars) so I paid for my supplies and this bird and brought it home. The bird is sick and I have it in isolation and I cut the black band off of its reddish foot and this made it more comfortable and put some udder balm on the red area and pulled out the bent feather that was growing into the foot. Right now it is on antibiotic Ornacycline in the water (this is for pet birds) for respiratory problems and I made a small nest in the bottom of the cage out of wash cloths wrapped around in a circle with cotton nesting material in the center of it and a heating pad on the side of the cage on low and my gosh how tiny this bird is just taken away from its parents and scared and in a finch cage and I just checked on it---it found the nesting area and is settled in for the night--looks comfortable--and all I could say was: "You better sing" knowing I am a sucker for these birdies with their precious little eyes watching with their wise glances . It is in isolation and I hope it makes it and it has not sounded not one chirp so far maybe I got a no singer...my luck...and it wasn"t just 20 bucks like I thought it was but its worth it seeing those tiny scared little eyes looking at me not saying a word and very comfortable in its little nest..hope it makes it.
c.hert

·
Registered
225 Posts
You're so nice!

Wow, those kind of things always happen to me too!! I am so happy you have such a big heart. Good luck with that poor baby, it really needs you!!

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pigeonlove thats what I need more birds but it is so tiny and so precious and I really hope it makes it for it is real sick and breathing very bad tonight but I snuck it other antibiotics as well I have been using on another birdie--everything is well.c.hert

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You need to take the bird to your vet ASAP. Don't be givng it this and that, mixing drugs without knowing what the problem is.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice Charis---I know it is respiratory and I have the water based one which is Ornacycline and this is for canaries and the dosage level is set but they have to drink the water so I for this night to get through the night give him a minute dose of of another in the mouth for respiratory sickness to kick start this thing off until I can get to my vet which is tomorrow..We just have to see what happens with this little one because without this kick start I don't think he would have a chance for tomorrow.I know those otc drugs like this one Ornacycline are usually very weak and I know the dangers
of this but he is not drinking so I had to do something at this point rather than nothing
and this I admit is a last ditch effort and I am treating for ornithosis and believe you I hate antibiotics when it is not vet recommanded or diagnosed but at this point I have no other choice. Sometimes its a judgement call and it could turn out bad but I have no other choice..so I gave him terramycin (sp). c.hert

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
Thank you for helping out this little guy.
Please let us know what your vet's diagnosis is. Hope all goes well.

Reti

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The yellow canary is still alive and made it through the night and it is a dreary wet raining windy day and I am going back to bed. I have a little squeaker pigeon with no tail who is doing very well and it windy raining wet and cold and we are all going back to bed...Just an update....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I could not sleep last night kept thinking about a movie that I think had a name of :The Death of A Canary ---funny how thoughts go through you head---and I got up and check this bird by peeking into the cage secretly just to see if it was still looking alive and it is so tiny hard to see in secret without a light and to see how it was breathing. I also have a squeaker pigeon with no tail feathers who is doing well and eating on its own like a little pig and it flys about 3 or 4 feet up high and he is a patient to check too and he has been having breakfast with me each morning..Things are well here so far...and it is rainy cold and wet and dreary as I get ready for this day...Everything is well...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This little canary is going to be more of a problem then I can handle and the little thing is on a perch now and its breathing does look better but if I bother it at all it does this open mouth thing and then it takes about 30 to 40 minutes after laying on the bottom of the cage to come out of it---its like a heart attack or something---so I have backed off and I have it very quiet and fresh food and water as long as it is going in the right direction I am giving strickly peace and quiet and actually as sick as it is I am very afraid to take it to the vet because these attacks seem really bad--it gets so scared---and this makes me scared especially since it takes such a long time to come about again. Right now it is on a perch and I have completely backed off and I put some antibiotics in its water and to tell you the truth I am going to just leave it be and see what happens. I have a call into the vet and I hope he calls back real soon and I will keep you posted--I am afraid to bring it to the vet because of this stress factor--it does look a little better--if I leave it be for now...I think that I would rather treat pigeons instead of this canary.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Considering you got this canary from a pet shop,..... and unless its legband had a date on it, ..... you probably can only guess at its age.
I would consider its breathing problem to be--- air sac mites----
If so, one DROP of Ivermectin directly in the mouth will probably clear the mites,
and if not completely clear... one more drop a week later. If mites are not the
problem, the ivermectin will do no harm. I am referring to Ivermectin 1% liquid.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you so much Sesamestick for that information and I really think it might be a avenue to investigate and I never thought of that and will bring it up when the tech call me back from the vets office for I can not bring it to them. Now it has decided it doesn't like the little nest I made for it and is resting beside the nest and since I am not experienced at all with canarys I am doing some internet searching as well just to get more information that might help and your information is more than welcome. I can bring this bird back within 13 days if it should pass but last night I made a decision to cut the little black band off its leg and as far as I could figure the numbers it was born in 2010 about Jan or Feb but I can't read the tiny numbers and I cannot return it to the store if it should die but I knew that when I cut the band off.. It's calm and if I have to drive a long way in the rain to get it medicine from the vet I will and I am waiting for them to call me back----Thank you so much for your information and it sounds sound to me. c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I did manage to get a little more terramycin in it this morning as it had its major stress attack afterwards for 30 to 40 minutes and I am just not going to fool with this bird any more so I put some in the water and I do have a happy note here----that bird is eating---for I put seed down in the bottom of the cage so it can get it easier and what did it do it flew up to the top of the cage to eat and thats what it is doing right now---eating---but not a chirp out of it as of yet and I have never seened it drink as of yet and I have water in the bottom and the top of this cage and I am just going to leave it alone and wait for the vet tech or vet to call me back and its improving a little bit and at least its moving forward in the right direction--I think---c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well the vet called me asked a series of questions and I told him how I treated the bird with the terramycine (sp) so that he would know and between the two of us we boiled it down to possibly air sack mites and allergic reactions to the dust from where I retrieve it out of a finch cage with about 30 finches in it so this is the first attempt to get this bird well. He told me to use my scatt that I had on hand and follow the directions on the bottle one drop between the birds wings He also told me to buy some childrens" benadrill (spelling here) and when I give it the scatt them give the canary some benadryle as well and I asked him the dosage and he told me the first hash mark on my syringe. This will make the bird a little sleepy but will help with allergic reactions that the bird might be having as well. Now the next step in this process is if the bird does not improve in a few days then I am to start it on Baytril one dose every 24 hours and this dose would be 0.02 ml by mouth in the liquid form that I got from him and have some left over and it is just a matter of observation at this point to see if we have some kind of improvement with its breathing. Off to the store I go to get some childrens benadryille (sp) and then I am going to grab this bird and put that drop of scatt between its wings and I dread this end of it because the bird will go into a distress again and be on the bottom of the cage as I am wondering if I killed it... Sesamestick: your advice so far seems very well founded and given---so we will all see how this goes.....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I did everything that was necessary to do put some scatt between its shoulders--one drop and gave it some Benadryl for children--the first or second hash mark (small ones) on the medicine dropper. The bird right now is having its stress reaction at the bottom of the cage and who knows how long it will continue that but the area is darken and I secretly peek into it once in awhile and I tried to be as fast and gentle as I could for I got everything ready ahead of time...After all this I took a swig of the cherry flavor benadryl thinking it might help my allergy eyes and we will see how we all progress and thankyou for your imputs and good wishes and the doctor told me any drastic change for the worse start that Baytril (liquid) and call the office so thats good and now I know what to look for so keeping bird fingers crossed for now..,and I did buy the little canary a mirrow for later when it gets well....c.hert

·
Registered
86 Posts
I do not disagree with your vet that SCATT will kill the mites, BUT,.... scatt could take up to 6 weeks to see results. If this were my bird.... I would use the Ivermectin... as it has been my experience that the condition clears in a couple weeks or less. The way this little guy ''faints'' on you after handling indicates he has a very advanced case of mites. He faints from lack of oxygen because he is stressed and the mites take up too much of the sacs to let him get sufficient oxygen.
If this little tyke survives.... we can discuss why you do not give a mirror to a canary you want to sing. I'm praying for him.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree with you sesamestick but the problem arrived when I can't drive in this rain in my pick up truck and thats the only thing I had on hand and it is a long distance and I am not a good driver and I called up six friends to get the Ivermectin from the vets office but they can't take me when they are open so I am checking other resources to try to get some so that I can give that medicine and he agreed to it but since I had scatt on hand he told me to start that at least for now..There are major storms in this area and I am afraid to drive because my pick up truck is really light and slides terrible and I am working on the Ivermectin and watching the bird carefully and it is really quiet right now and I had never heard a chirp out of it since I had it--two days now...Keep praying for this little one because at night time it gets really bad and I also have the Baytril on hand just in case it seems worse--right now it is really perched on the bottom of the cage real close to the heating pad on low and thats all I can do right now...c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have also pm sesamestick with this question but I will also ask it on here and I hope someone can help me with this:: The directions on the bottle of Scatt says: Apply one drop to birds under 30 grams place drops on the unfeathered skin between the wing and this is what I did but I was checking on the internet web and one of the entries had these directions--place bird in hand and turn over and pull wing out and place drop between the wing and body where you see skin. I did not do it this way and do you think I should chance it again by doing it this way....help.....c.hert

1 - 20 of 67 Posts