Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just when I thought I was all settled and everyone was healthy and housed in comfy accomodations... in comes another rehab.

This one's a baby -- maybe 3 weeks old if that -- and he or she is the victim of a predator attack :( Crow maybe, or hawk...? Somehow the baby ended up in our upstairs neighbors' apartment -- their windows weren't open so it is likely that she crawled in through the duct work from the roof.

She has a number of minor lacerations, and two deep puncture wounds under her wing -- and she was absolutely starving and emaciated when the neighbors found her. I am not sure when the attack happened, but think the baby could have been in the roof for a couple of days given the level of starvation.

Anyhow -- I got her warm, got her wounds flushed out and sterilized, and got her on Baytril -- hydrated with a tube syringe, and then started her on dilute formula. She's voraciously going for solids as well as formula now.

Two days later she is much on the mend -- bright and curious, and no signs of illness/systemic infection at all --- but a LOT of swelling between the puncture wounds -- like a big, fluid filled sack. I am assuming that is simply her body's normal response to the trauma, as she's seeming to be healing well all around.

It doesn't seem to cause any discomfort for her if I touch it gently -- it is soft and filled with fluid, not hard or warm, so I am fairly sure it isn't infected. Breathing is fine, poops are fine, demeanor/energy is good, no signs of canker (I'll treat for it anyways -- always do) -- so I'm thinking we are good to go.

I'll keep her on the Baytril for the full ten days, obviously -- and keep cleaning the wound, and keep her warm and relatively immobile in her carrier until she's healed up more, though she is happy as can be, hunkered up on my shoulder post-feeding right now, peeping and rattling her wings.

Has anyone seen a predator wound behave this way? I'm thinking I'll just keep an eye on it for now, and that the swelling is just her body healing.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Yes, pics would help. Has the sac become harder at all in the past few days ?

It can be a few things...sometimes an impact injury can create what is commonly (but not accurately) called a "blood blister". These begin by looking really nasty...and lancing them does get some liquid out but does not reduce their size. Over a few days, however, the 'blister' starts to harden as internal fluids recede and it eventually becomes a hard, charcoal-like appendage which can be shaved off bit by bit with a sharp matte knife...or will eventually fall of itself (this takes about 2-3 weeks, though).

It could also be a sign of internal bleeding, so this is why a pic would help. Wanna figure out how large it is and what it looks like.

BTW...if you were surprised that in the past you rescued some Pigeon friends and thought, OK - that was that, time to move on - ....get real.:p

I have always observed that once you rescue one Feral...the word gets out in their world and you will be crossing paths with others, forever. I believe this instance to be a prime example.

Your new friend, in need of help and wanting to live... came looking for you.....no ?

·
Registered
762 Posts
BTW...if you were surprised that in the past you rescued some Pigeon friends and thought, OK - that was that, time to move on - ....get real.:p

I have always observed that once you rescue one Feral...the word gets out in their world and you will be crossing paths with others, forever. I believe this instance to be a prime example.

Your new friend, in need of help and wanting to live... came looking for you.....no ?
I Lol'd quite a bit at this post :p :D

Just posting wishing her well :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will post pics tonight -- the sac is much bigger today -- doesn't appear to be filled with blood -- more likely lymph fluid. It's definitely not pus, nor is the sac warm or showing any other signs of being an infection.

I can see through her translucent skin -- it's clear fluid inside. It isn't hard -- more like a huge blister -- very soft.

It is about the size of a pigeon egg -- no joke -- right under the wing between the punctures. On her teeny body, it is giant!

My worry is that, being a squirmy baby all full of mischief, she may break it open. I'm wondering if this is something that should be aspirated, or is it better left alone? It seems like the body's cushioning response at work, and assuming she doesn't break it open, my gut instinct is to leave it be.

She's hungry and in good peeping spirits this morning -- obviously feeling better by the day -- so whatever is going on doesn't appear to be a systemic infection -- and I am praying that we escaped pasturella (I have no idea how long she was injured before I got her and put her on antibiotics.)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jaye --

LOL about the pigeons seeking me out -- it's the truth :) Word is definitely out on the streets that housing, medical care, and room service are available here!

I shouldn't be surprised by this anymore -- but it tends to happen in the oddest of ways. It isn't as if I go looking for injured pigeons -- they just seem to turn up.

In any event, I can always make room in my heart for one more -- and in my home, too, apparently. Looks like I need to build another hutch -- I have no where to put this one once she's out of the carrier ....

·
Registered
13,045 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After doing some research, I think this is an air sac rupture -- that would make a lot of sense given the location of the puncture wounds. . A few sites recommend waiting, while others suggest using a sterile needle to release the air. If that is what it is, it isn't serious in most cases.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After puncturing and releasing pressure

Here is how it looks after puncturing with a sterile needle -- she didn't seem to even feel it, and I am sure it feels much better now!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry the pictures are so huge -- I don't know how to resize them. I'm rather amazed I got them posted at all!

The bubble was already going down in size this evening, and the more I looked at it, the clearer it was to me that it was filled with air (it looked just like the pics I found online) --

I needed to do two needle punctures (tiny ones) to get all the air out, and I've read that it is likely to fill up again a couple of times before it heals completely -- I'm guessing the air sac was ruptured in the predator attack. These photos show the wounds too -- they don't look bad, but they are deep.

Baby is doing well -- she's eating solid food, but still taking formula too -- sitting on my shoulder cuddling as I type. She's energetic, preening, wanting to flap around and explore everything. I'm trying to keep her from too much action for a few more days until her wounds heal up a bit more.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
i would give antibiotics if you have any, i always assume a cat did it unless the attack was witnessed and sometimes people will lie because thier cat did it, and they don't want me to give them hell for it, so i give abs anyways

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
She's on Baytril, and has been since she came into my care -- I will do the full ten day course of it. I hope I started the antibiotics soon enough to prevent Pasturella -- I don't know how long she was injured before our neighbors found her and called me... but so far, so good.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So far, the air sac area looks good -- it hasn't started filling up again. Baby is very peepy and cuddly today -- seems to be feeling better and better :)

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh my goodness, this one's a keeper! She is so bonded to me --just all cuddles and love and wing rattling and peeps. I know that may change, but if I handle her a lot, perhaps she'll stay this tame. I'm thinking this one's a hen because she is so docile, but lord knows I've been wrong before ;)

Right now her favorite place in the world is my left shoulder, sort of smashed up against my face -- which is just fine by me.

She's almost weaned - turning up her nose at formula in favor of seeds, which is great. Injuries notwithstanding, she seems like a healthy little bird -- poops are great (the kind we all wish our birds would have!) , she's growing and putting on weight, no signs of infection, etc.

I've been seriously fortunate with my rehabs this year -- they've all done really well.

·
Registered
4,084 Posts
Cool...sounds like she is doing great. So, I take it you have decided to keep ? Because if you are still entertaining release, you may wanna back off a bit on the affection (I know, it's cold to say...but y'know...;))

1 - 20 of 20 Posts