Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When should I step in to help baby pigeon abandoned on my window sill. Mother hasnt been there for 1 day. It may be possible that she is coming, but every time I look she is not there. She made the nest and layed the eggs, only one egg made it. The mother was taking care of the baby for one week but now she got scared from my cat. The window is closed and I keep my cat out of room and keep light off as much as possible. I just havent seen her now for one day. I had the same thing happen in another window in my house, but that time kids keep looking and mother never came back and baby died. I dont want this to happen again. I dont know when I should try to help and what I should do. I live in Saudi Arabia and there are not any pet stores here and certainly not any dog food. HOw can I care for it with little and few supplies.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
About this age, the parents do leave the babies to go off and build another nest. They only come back to feed them. This is what I think you should do to be sure that is happening. ...pick the baby up and feel right below the throat, which is where the crop is located. The crop is where the food goes when birds eat. If there is food in there it will feel full and squishy rather than flat, which would indicate a crop without food in it. Another way would be to put a towel under the baby and in a few hours count the number of poops.
You may need to intervene but you do need to be sure your intervention is needed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thankyou for responding to my post! I have searched around here on this website and found lots of wonderful information and plenty of people willing to help. I thought I would write my own post, when i began to worry about the possible abandoned baby pigeon and wondered what to do. Thankyou for the quick response and I will check on the little thing in the morning. I will keep updating as to what is going on!!! By the way how long can the 1 week old baby go with out food or water? If and when I try to intervene should I try alittle of the sugar/salt water solution before anything else? Also can I leave it outside on the window sill? It is safe, not alot of breeze, and its warm outside all the time.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You can leave it outside. The parents are probably feeding 3 times a day. If you need to bring it in we will go over feeding and hydrating with you then.
We're here if you need us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
pictures of abandoned baby, how old is he?

I wanted to up load a picture of the baby, possibly abandoned. Can anyone tell how old? Looking at some of the pictures on speed pigeon, I think he might be almost two weeks. If I leave out water and food can he eat on his own. I tried to check him to see if his crop was full or empty and he seemed lively and kept snapping at me.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The baby looks good to me. At this age, it's perfectly normal for it to be left alone.
It is not old enough to know what to do with the water or the seeds. If you left a bit out though, the parents might eat and drink and then feed the baby. You just don't want to attract any other pigeons to the nest. It might be best to just leave well enough alone and let them do what they've been doing. They're obviously finding food somewhere to have such a pretty baby.
I don't think the baby is abandoned. It looks pretty healthy so I think the parents are off building another nest. With the baby this age, it's about time for them to do that.

PS: I think the baby is probably about 12 or 13 days old, so two weeks is close.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hi Jessehab,
Please relax and enjoy seeing this baby grow until big enough to fly away. I had the same experience when I had a pigeon nest on my balcony for the first time. I panicked when the parents started to absent themselves. Me too, like you, thought the babies had been abandoned, that's how I found Pigeon Talk and had things explained to me. Happy watching. Gladys

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for helping

I just wanted to come back update my original post. Since my last visit I have seen the parents back to feed the baby!!!!! I have seen them several times and at different times of the day. I also wantedto thank everyone who responded to my post. When I sent my first message asking for help I was a little worried and didnt know what to do. It took only a few minutes for someone to respond and all responses quickly put me at ease. I have since left well enough alone and let God and nature take it course. The baby is still in my window and is getting almost as big as his parents. Thanks again for the help and lots of wonderful information about pigeons!!!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts