Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My location is Canada Water/Surrey Quays in London, UK.

A 13 days old baby pigeon was fed by one of his parents yesterday 10:30 GMT (11:30 BST) and has not had any food and water for more than 28 hours. He is lying down in the nest like a dead bird at the moment.

His parents have been feeding him twice a day (morning and late evening) since he was 8 days old. However, they did not come to feed him yesterday evening.

He has been lying in the nest like a dead bird since 8:00 GMT (9:00 BST). Both of his parents came to the nest at 9:30 GMT (10:30 BST) but they left the nest after a brief presence without feeding him and he is still lying down helplessly at the exactly same spot in the nest.

I know they may not be good parents as they started leaving him alone at night since he was 7 days old (I am not sure if it is too early) and every morning he looked like a frozen bird and had to be "warmed up" by one of his parents every morning.

i would like someone who knows how to take care of baby pigeons to hand-raise him as it seems to me that his parents have abandoned him. Even if they had not abandoned him, it may be better for him to be raised by a human being who really cares about pigeons than a pair of pigeons who (which) left him sleep on his own at night when he was 7 days old and let him get frozen the next morning.

The nest is located on my balcony to which I have easy access.

I asked a pigeon rescue organisation to send someone to pick up the baby pigeon almost five hours ago but they still have not arrived.

I would appreciate if someone in London (or other areas in the UK) can save the poor and innocent creature.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
Please gently pick up the baby and follow these basic steps to save its life. The baby will not survive until you can find help, you need to intervene.

Make a small nest out of a soft towel. WARM the baby on heating pad, set on low, with towel between baby and pad. After an hour dribble a little water, slowly on the inside of beak, just inside edge of beak. You will have to open beak. Then follow up with food, check this link for what to feed. A baby formula might be best at this time, since baby is starving.

Here is a link on caring for babies http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/caringforababypigeon.htm

Here is a list of rescue centers: http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/rescuecentres.htm

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
You may be wrong. They may have fed him when you didn't see. You can't possibly watch 24/7. If indeed they are still feeding him, then he is better off with them. When raised by people, he will then probably have to remain in captivity for the rest of his life. I would wait and make double sure before taking him in.

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
Hi

I would suggest going to Facebook group

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PigeonProtection/

as that is a UK pigeon group/network of rescuers who can certainly advise on how to proceed and whether there's anyone in your area who can offer assistance.

There is LWP who are London based, but they may be who you already tried.

(BTW, it's not at all unusual for a youngster to be alone at night after only a few days, as it will have developed its own thermoregulation, or to be left alone for quite long periods between feedings.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts