Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I had two baby pigeons at my window behind a AC unit. I saw their mother coming pretty often until last night.
The last few days were rainy and last night the wind was stronger in my window direction. Probably because of the water they moved from the nest to the front of the AC unit.
This morning they were fine, at least to my knowledge but i worried that they were cold so I put a cardboard box in front of them to protect them them from the rain and wind and i put one of them on a piece of cardboard because the concrete was cold. I also covered him or her with a paper napkin. I left the napkin lose to let the baby move or to be very easily removed by their mother.
When i arrived home from work the baby was dead.
I also want to mention that i user a surgical glove to move the baby to the cardboard and he had the eyes closed.

Now... I don't know if my intervention killed him or he was weak or sick but i very sorry anyway and i want to focus to the living one.

I didn't see the mother for the last couple of hours.
Any advice on how to rescue him?
I'm in Sibiu, Romania.

More photos on Google Drive

And today's situation:
The Baby

The Baby Covered

And the Baby Dead :(

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Poor thing, plse bring him in he does not look well. Warm him up. You can put him on a hotwaterbottle. Your intervention did not kill the other baby, pigeons won't abandon a baby that was handled by humans.

While he is getting warmer (you don't feed a cold baby) google on youtube "how to feed baby pigeon" and get everything ready so long for feeding. Don't know if you can get hold of a handrearing formula for baby birds, otherwise porridge that has no milkproducts or sugar will do.

If the parents come back later, you can try put him back out again.

I hope it's not too late.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I kept inside for the night.
I tried to feed him some cooked and smashed rice and some water but didn't want it.
This morning I put him back outside. I saw his mother there but before I put him out. I hope she'll come back and I hope other bird's won't hurt him.
I saw another pigeon coming and the baby went to her. I suppose the baby don't recognize his mother.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
It will be easier to feed him defrosted peas and thats more nutritious than rice. Keep an eye on him, if it seems like he is neglected, bring him in again.

If you feed him the peas: You have to hold him on your lap, facing to the right (if you are righthanded). Reach with your left hand over his head and body and open the beak with those fingers. Have a pea ready in your righthand and put deep inside his beak. Give him time to swallow and proceed with the next one. If he spits it out, then your are not putting the pea inside his mouth deep enough. Try to feed 30 peas 3 times daily. It will seem difficult at first, but will get easier for both of you.

Let us know how he is doing. Sometimes the feeding by the parents is very quick and you won't always see it happening. If he sits puffed up and the droppings are green and very little, then you know he is not getting fed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts