Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only pair of pigeons had two eggs. One egg hatched. I noticed early AM at feeding. I peeked in close to see the little guy. Soon after peeking in I noticed the baby laying out of the nest in the entry. I found it to be cold so I warmed it, tried to give it back to mother after coming back to life but she rejected it again. I warmed it again and tried to feed it, but it eventually died after 3 hrs. She sat on the remaining eggs for that day and at nite fall I notice she had abandoned the egg. She is a new mother. She did not really build a nest even though she had ample small twiggs and short grasses and other things she could have used. Could I have done anything?? Is sand a poor nesting material base? the egg hatched in 16 days. Is abandonment common among new mothers?? And you know I did not see the father help with setting. The nest area was a simple plank with short side walls and no bowl. I hope she tries again and I would really like to help this couple. any suggestions??

·
Registered
68 Posts
That's what happened to my first pair as well. Im sure Something happened that made the parents not want the egg. Twigs and hay are the best material and if you can get tobacco stems its the best.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
you can try to use a nest bowl next time, if the baby for any reason gets out from under the parent bird, sometimes they just do not see it as theirs and can even peck it thinking it is a foreign object. A nest bowl would keep them in under the hen. her being a young bird can be another reason too. sand in the bottom of the nest bowl is fine as far as I know and she and her mate may get better at nest building on top of the sand as time goes on.. birds under a year old sometimes do not make the best of parents, kind of like a young teenager.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She just seemed unsure about what to do. She would hold the same twig around for days in her mouth when setting on the eggs before the hatch. I used beach grass cut to ~ 6 inch length. She also had pine needles available. I will try some hay for the next round.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
She just seemed unsure about what to do. She would hold the same twig around for days in her mouth when setting on the eggs before the hatch. I used beach grass cut to ~ 6 inch length. She also had pine needles available. I will try some hay for the next round.
sand and hay in a nest bowl would be a good thing for the next round.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Thats ok Mickey, many first time parents do fail a couple of times, picking up eventually. Like good flyers, there are good parents too. One way around is to mate an inexperienced to an experienced pigeon to compensate

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for your input. Also for correcting my post title. This is such a great site!
The father did not seem interested physically ; But He cooed ecitedly when she would leave the nest to eat, bathe, forage around the pen. My translation of this was that he wanted her get back on the eggs. My son told me that he watched him set on the eggs once, although I did not observe this. My observation was that he never actually sat on the eggs. These are young parents and my first/only birds. I will try a nest bowl for the next round. I admit I need to improve the nest area/bird house. I hope to do some improvements before the next eggs. I have found excelent plans on this forum. I am thankful I found this site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the male is about 1.5 yrs, The female is probably close to 6 or + a few months. So I may be without full grown babies this year?? any estimate on how long before her next eggs?? I am feeding wild bird feed plus spit peas, cracked beans and oats. I am going to add cracked peanuts. They also like pieces of pancakes. Some times I grate some carrot/ cheese and they seem to like that too. I should add something to help her build up some as I can tell she is somewhat stressed. She seems to be looking for her babies/ eggs ?? not sure but something is different.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I think the male is about 1.5 yrs, The female is probably close to 6 or + a few months. So I may be without full grown babies this year?? any estimate on how long before her next eggs?? I am feeding wild bird feed plus spit peas, cracked beans and oats. I am going to add cracked peanuts. They also like pieces of pancakes. Some times I grate some carrot/ cheese and they seem to like that too. I should add something to help her build up some as I can tell she is somewhat stressed. She seems to be looking for her babies/ eggs ?? not sure but something is different.
you probably would want to set up a nest bowl now, they may lay sooner than you think. If you see them mating the eggs usually come in about 8 to 10 days after that alot of the time. make sure you have a calcium source for the hen esp. and they need alot of calcium to raise babies as well. you can get it at the feed store, crushed oyster shell and put it in a crock to offer it to them. also red grit. if you can find a pigeon grain mix that would be better than the wild bird feed. the other things you add sound fine. you can let young birds have fake eggs at first untill they sit them well and build good nests, then they may be ready to let hatch their real eggs.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank you all for the great advice
Although I have not been able to get back online for awhile,, nice to know you are all still here.
I am also reading and learning from other posts so keep the forum going
Nice to know there are great places like this available through the internet

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Spirit
You are right she is already trying to build another nest so I need to get things ready for her!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts