Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went out to my loft today I found a squab on the floor. I think he must have fallen out of the nest. I'm not sure how old he is, he's still mostly bald with prickly little feathers all over. His crop feels full, but I'm not sure if that's because he's only been down there for a day.
I've been keeping an eye on him all day and I didn't see the adults feed him or sit on him all day. The adults were all sleeping up on the roost and they just left him all alone down there. I was worried because I had some babies once that they decided not to sit on one night for some reason and they froze to death overnight.
I brought him inside, he's in my closet in a small animal cage with a heat lamp and some towels. Is it normal for them to leave a baby his age alone overnight? Would they have taken care of him? I really wanted him to stay with his parents, but I was worried he would have been dead in the morning if I left him in there. :(
How do I take care of him now? I'm going to get some baby bird formula in the morning if I can't leave him in there.

~Luna

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Pigeon parents begin to leave the babies alone when the babies are about 10 days old.
If he's out of the nest, they will leave him be. If you can get him back to the nest that would be the best thing. Of course you would need to know which nest he came from because if you put him back in a nest that isn't his, he won't be recognized and will be killed.
If you can't get him back to his very own nest, you will need to hand feed him. Please don't put him back in the loft but keep him inside with you for the duration of the hand feeding.
Do you know how to hand feed?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I'm pretty sure I know which nest is his. I'll see if I can get him back up tomorrow.
I've been reading how to hand feed online, but I've never done it before. How often does he need to be fed?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Every time the crop empties. If you do need to feed the baby, perhaps you can post a picture so we can tell you how much to feed each time. From you description, it sounds like about 10-15 cc's.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put him back in the nest I thought was his, but to my suprise there was another baby in there! The other baby had slightly more feathers. Could they be siblings or something or did I put him in the wrong nest? He started squealing for food as soon as I put him up there. I'll check on him later to see if he's been fed yet.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I put him back in the nest I thought was his, but to my suprise there was another baby in there! The other baby had slightly more feathers. Could they be siblings or something or did I put him in the wrong nest? He started squealing for food as soon as I put him up there. I'll check on him later to see if he's been fed yet.
If he's in the wrong nest, there's a good chance that when the parents find it, they'll peck it pretty good.......could even kill it. I'd go check NOW and watch to see what happens. Wouldn't take long for them to do a LOT of damage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't think they've fed him, and it seems like the other squab isn't too happy about him. Also, it looked like he was trying to scoot over the edge of the nest again. It doesn't look like this is going too well... I'll bring him in and try to hand feed him.
EDIT:I picked him up to bring him in and his crop was really full. I put him back. If they fed him does that mean he's in the right nest?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I would say so. Just keep an eye out and monitor what's going on.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything was going fine for a few days, but today when I went out there he was on the floor again, and had climbed into the cage I had been using to transport him. Should I put him back up again? I'm worried they pushed him out. The other one is still up there.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
How far is this baby falling? If he keeps this up, you'll have broken bones to contend with on top of trying to raise and feed him. How old is this baby? If I was you, I'd give up and take the poor thing inside. Something isn't right. Either he's being kicked out or the nest is in a dangerous spot and he's having trouble staying put. They do get pretty excited sometimes when they get fed so I don't know if he's falling accidently or actually being kicked out of the nest.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He's falling about 4 or 5 feet. I'm not sure how old he is but his eyes are open and he has little feather prickles. What should I feed him? I checked 2 farm stores a grocery store and a vet and none of them had bird formula. The nearest pet store is about 2 hours away.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
He's falling about 4 or 5 feet. I'm not sure how old he is but his eyes are open and he has little feather prickles. What should I feed him? I checked 2 farm stores a grocery store and a vet and none of them had bird formula. The nearest pet store is about 2 hours away.
you need hand rearing formula, exact by kaytee, they sell at some petstores, like petco or petsmart...you may have to get in the car and go get some. maybe someone will have a homemade feeding formula that would work...

corrected that!...lol...

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
you need hand rearing formula, exact or kaytee, they sell at some petstores, like petco or petsmart...you may have to get in the car and go get some. maybe someone will have a homemade feeding formula that would work...
Kaytee IS Exact.........LOL
Luna........can you post a picture of the bird? It would help to know what the age is. Got any way to smush up some seeds and make a brew out of it? It SOUNDS like the baby is about 10 days old maybe........are the adult birds feeding it when it stays IN the nest? 5 feet is a pretty good drop for a baby this age. They don't flap their wings yet, and even if they did, it wouldn't do any good. I'm surprised the baby hasn't gotten injured.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
I bought some formula. Do I just prepare it with the directions on the back?
I took a picture, but my camera's making me upload all 850 of the pictures on it for some reason so it's gonna be a while!
I think they feed him when he's in the nest, I haven't seen them but his crop fills up.
EDIT: I fed him. I filled up the syringe to about 10 ccs but he got about half of it all over his face.
EDIT2: The picture uploaded. http://img191.imageshack.us/i/850.jpg/

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I bought some formula. Do I just prepare it with the directions on the back?
I took a picture, but my camera's making me upload all 850 of the pictures on it for some reason so it's gonna be a while!
I think they feed him when he's in the nest, I haven't seen them but his crop fills up.
EDIT: I fed him. I filled up the syringe to about 10 ccs but he got about half of it all over his face.
EDIT2: The picture uploaded. http://img191.imageshack.us/i/850.jpg/
Well, sure is a cute little guy. Yes, just follow the package direction. I guess it's up to you whether you try putting him back or raise him yourself. I know what I would do......;)

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
That is one of the cutest babies I have ever seen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you for the help! He's doing good now. I have a few more questions.
How long before I should start offering seeds and water?
Do I have to wait until his crop is completely empty before feeding him, or is it ok if there's still a little food left in there?
How warm should I keep his cage?
Thanks
~Luna

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
How long before I should start offering seeds and water?

In about a week or so.

Do I have to wait until his crop is completely empty before feeding him, or is it ok if there's still a little food left in there?

It would be best if the crop is empty.

How warm should I keep his cage?

Heating pad underneath set no higher than low until the baby is feathered and then the baby won't need it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts