Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a pair of diamond doves, now when they are together in there cage, they are loving eachother well actually the male (romeo) is loving my female (julia) and he"ll be so nice to her wanting to mate and all and pecking her softly, he"ll be like that for a couple of weeks then all of a sudden he'll just peck her bald and it'll be so bad that her skin will be all red and even the orange around her eye will be all red from him pecking at her. I feel so bad cause she is so tiny. and she just trys to run from him.. why does he do this? I dont understand first he can be so nice then become so mean, si what I do is I have an extra cage that I put him in and keep him in there until I feel and see that he will be okay with her again.... can someone tell me why is he doing this?

·
Registered
9,868 Posts
I have a mated female pigeon and a male dove. They have been togehter for years now. In the beginning the pigeon used to peck the dove constantly. At one time poor Ringo dove was pecked so badly and I separated him from her for three months hoping that she would find a pigeon mate and forget about him. She didn't, but when I put him back in the bird room they reunited and she hasn't pecked on him ever since.
So, maybe a separation would do him some good. It's worth a try.

Reti

·
Registered
208 Posts
Give Lovebirds "bully bands" a try. If she can run away from him and all he can do is trip on his own feet ....might teach him some respect. PM Lovebirds and ask for her method with the "bullybands".

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Give Lovebirds "bully bands" a try. If she can run away from him and all he can do is trip on his own feet ....might teach him some respect. PM Lovebirds and ask for her method with the "bullybands".
How would you do that to a little Diamond Dove? They are so delicate. I would separate them for a week and give him time to calm down. It might be that keeping them in separate cages would be the solution so they can see but not touch.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Does the dove ever lay eggs? Sounds like to me, he's "driving" her. The males will do that.....at least I assume Doves do the same as pigeons? After a couple of weeks of "lovin"....he's expecting a reward for being nice. EGGS!.....I don't know that I would do the bullyband thing either. Seems kind of drastic. There's a reason he's acting the way he is. Separation would be first on things to do too.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi everyone and thank you for replying, but yes, I do seperate them all the time, I would not leave him in there to continue to peck her of course not!!! and what are BULLY BANDS, I never heard of those can you send a link (pic) of what they look like if you have one.. also, I think what Love bird said is right he wants his reward "EGGS". so I guess the best thing to do is just keep them seperated as what I've been doing already... thank you all.....

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Hi everyone and thank you for replying, but yes, I do seperate them all the time, I would not leave him in there to continue to peck her of course not!!! and what are BULLY BANDS, I never heard of those can you send a link (pic) of what they look like if you have one.. also, I think what Love bird said is right he wants his reward "EGGS". so I guess the best thing to do is just keep them seperated as what I've been doing already... thank you all.....
Carolyn...Bully bands are not appropriate for these kinds of birds. They are way too delicate.

·
Registered
15,536 Posts

I, as well as others, have used this set up to hobble a bossy cock bird that wants to make every other pigeons life miserable in the loft. Just 24 hours or so, and it usually calms them down when they see that they can't fight anymore.
Here's the thread:
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/showthread.php?t=18850

Another thing you might try..........give this pair a nest and some dummy eggs. They just might sit on them and calm down some.

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
http://www.diamonddove.info/bird01_Diamonds.htm

Carolyn, Maybe the above link will be helpful to you.
Diamond Doves are the smallest Dove and my recollection is that they are closer in size to a House Sparrow.

Could it be you have 2 males?

·
Registered
13,045 Posts
Another question would be, are you giving them calcilum supliment?

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
http://www.diamonddove.info/bird01_Diamonds.htm

Carolyn, Maybe the above link will be helpful to you.
Diamond Doves are the smallest Dove and my recollection is that they are closer in size to a House Sparrow.

Could it be you have 2 males?
I had no idea that diamond doves were so tiny!!! DEFINTELY NO BULLY BANDS!!! Heck....you could almost put the band around thier neck!! :eek: they're so little.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have D.Doves and I have found the easiest thing to do it have a 2-3 hens in with a male, this way he won't target one hen.
This is how I kept my diamond doves as well, as recommended by the rescuer I got them from years ago (I don't have any now). I did that with the diamonds as well as the button quail, and it made a big difference.

You can also probably make or buy tiny little fake eggs and see if that would help him calm down, if he could lay on the nest for awhile. May be worth a try. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have D.Doves and I have found the easiest thing to do it have a 2-3 hens in with a male, this way he won't target one hen.
I love the saying that you have on the bottom about it will change the world for that one animal..
well that is so true....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no they arent males, they
laid a few egss before.. and .yes they are very tiny. my female is very small

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another question would be, are you giving them calcilum supliment?
no, I havent given them any, but I've did buy a multivitamin because my my females tail & wings keep breaking off.. so someone told me to start giving her vitamins..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
that is what I was wondering...has she ever laid any eggs?
Yes, she has laid eggs a few times and they were infertile, up until october 1st she finally had a baby it would of been two but since dad gets nest happy he made her crack the other egg. and the baby lasted for only a day.. I had pics but everything deleted off my pc, he/she was so adorable. but like I said he was to nest happy and always wanted to be on that nest with mom and noone was feeding the baby..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts