Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 347 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would open up a thread for updates from those who have what was to be my race team this year. Here is where you can leave word of their accomplishments and failures. I have high hopes for these little champions of the skies and miss them in many ways.

Without these little feathered freinds in my life there is a void I just can't fill. A few days ago I went fishing under a bridge spanning one of the rivers that feeds the great lake Okeechobee. I didn't catch many fish. I think that was because instead of watching my bobber I was watching the resident pigeons living under the bridge. Don't leave me with this aching in my heart, throw the old boy a bone and keep him posted here.

Are the birds settled? Are they all well? Do you have your favorite???

Ace

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Hey Ace

The three pair you sent me are doing great. The younger pair is still not interested in laying. The two older pairs will be hatching next week. They will be flying in ABQ. I might send one with my group I am sending to Grand Junction. I will give the young ones another week and then start trying new things. They look great, just the change I think. Let me know if they raised a round or were sitting. They may just be confused with the cycle. I have another young hen, just now showing interest. May be because I did not have lights and now their internal clock is driving them.

Randy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
The six you sent here are doing just fine. I've been trap training them and just this morning, I put the first and second round together, so now the 45 birds I have, have access to the whole front of the loft. 80 perches and 32 nest boxes. They're loving life. :D
I'm a little behind on getting the birds out of the loft. Between training OB's (we have our first race this coming week end) and spending time down in NC, I just can't get it all done. I try to go visit my grandmother at least once a week and she's so slow getting in and out of cars, stores, etc........instead of being here when we have nice weather, I'm down there and when it rains......I stay at home...........sort of backwards from the way it should work, but what can ya do?
Anyway, that's about it for now. I'll be sure to keep ya updated.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for the updates.

Randy,

Yes, the young pair did raise a round and had just layed before I shipped them to you. The two young are combine auction birds up in Michigan. They will be flying a 345 mile auction race for a good flyer named Lee Scholtz (he won the N section auction race last year).

Renee,

Don't fret non!!
It'll all come together just in time for the season. I have faith in both you and the birds.

Ace

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi Mark
I have 4 of the 5 you sent me :(
When I let all my young birds out for thier first time this weekend one got hit by a car
unfortunately it was one of the ones you sent me :(
the rest are doing great though
healthy... eating good.... and loving the sun that finally has come out for a few days in a row here :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mark
I have 4 of the 5 you sent me :(
When I let all my young birds out for thier first time this weekend one got hit by a car
unfortunately it was one of the ones you sent me :(
the rest are doing great though
healthy... eating good.... and loving the sun that finally has come out for a few days in a row here :)
Sorry to hear that! I even hate to ask but I have to....what is the band # of the bird that got hit?

Ace

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
when all the birds trapped after it happened I went RIGHT in with my two training crates and started gathering birds and writing down numbers that way I knew who it was
I knew it was one of yours before I even did that cause I RAN over to where he got hit and could see the yellow band :(

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ed,

I do not have my records down here with me but am I right in saying 7708 was the dark check? That was out of long distance stock from Top Gun Loft. Southwing has a DCSPLWF who is the nest mate to that bird.

We all know how it feels to loose birds. Usually it's not to a car but anything can and will happen when you let them out to fly. This was just one of many losses in what we hope is many years of flying for you.

Mark

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
StoN3d and Ace, I'm sorry for the loss, I know it comes with having birds but it still suxs!!!

Ace, get settled and the loft biult, you know you need birds in your life.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
hmmm
I coulda sworn it was 7708
Ill recheck my records when I get home from work today
Im on my way there now :(

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
We got babies. Four babies hatched out today the 2nd. They are earmarked to fly with Steve Guzman in Albuquerque with a team of my birds. they will most likely be bonded to fly in the Futurity at the 300 mile station. Steve is a fierce competitor who loves flying young birds. Plans are for these four to go the distance. I will keep you all posted with band numbers and such. The next round will most likely stay with me to test with a small team I will be flying.

As for the third pair they have not laid yet. The cock is going through a tail molt. My thoughts are the change in Latitude put him in a weird place. He still looks good and is healthy, just not interested in the hen. I am going to be gone this weekend, but when I get back I will try separating them again. I am also going to build a box and put in the top corner where he is perching. Maybe this will get him going. If this does not work, I might put him on a new hen and her on a new cock and see what happens. I may also separate them for a week or so and see if this works.

Randy

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hey Randy,

I really hope you can get some young out of that third pair. This is a pairing I am expecting big things from.

The cock is "Super Schellins" A-28046. He is a cross between an imported Schellins and a H.V.R.. If I had not missed clocking out one week last year this bird would have made Ace pigeon.

The hen KONA-254 is a cross between Warren's hen, York 836 a Janssen going back to the President and the Producer. Her sire is from Ken Munson's phenomenal Houben family. She was in the top 10 % three times last year including 4th place at 325 miles.

That would put these young at:

1/4 Schellins
1/4 H.V.R.
1/4 Janssen
1/4 Houben

Of corse we know no strain is pure, but this is what we have to go by.

I did produce one pair of young from them before shipping them to Randy. Those two are Combine auction birds back in Michigan and will be flying that race at 345 miles. The man fying them won that race last year!

Ace

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Mark

Shoot me the ped for the Janssen hen. I also have Charlotte my full Janssen who is also off the Producer. Want to see if it is the same producer. I have had great luck with the young birds off of her.

I would also like to get some young out of the pair. That is my objective when I get back Sunday.

Randy

G

·
just wanted to add that I have two 1/2 ace 1/2 tourniers babys that have been hatched out today :D I dont race but cant wait to see what these babys can do ;) the male of the pair is a male of got from ace and is a kona banded bird

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Mark..........I FINALLY got the birds out of the loft today.......man, what an awful year it's been. I'm usually later than I should be getting my YB's out the first time, but I've NEVER been this late......I was SCARED to death.........however, all in all, it went pretty good. Something, I don't know what, spooked the birds and they scattered. I've got 4 missing right now, but none of them are any you sent me. Thank goodness.........got a few sitting in a tree.......but all of yours are inside the loft.........so, all in all, it wasn't a bad day.......they'll stay in tomorrow....its supposed to rain. Hopefully I can get them out again Tuesday.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Randy..........I FINALLY got the birds out of the loft today.......man, what an awful year it's been. I'm usually later than I should be getting my YB's out the first time, but I've NEVER been this late......I was SCARED to death.........however, all in all, it went pretty good. Something, I don't know what, spooked the birds and they scattered. I've got 4 missing right now, but none of them are any you sent me. Thank goodness.........got a few sitting in a tree.......but all of yours are inside the loft.........so, all in all, it wasn't a bad day.......they'll stay in tomorrow....its supposed to rain. Hopefully I can get them out again Tuesday.
Hey Renee

Mark was the one who sent you the birds. Some of them do have my bloodline though. Hope they do well for you.

Randy

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hey Renee

Mark was the one who sent you the birds. Some of them do have my bloodline though. Hope they do well for you.

Randy
OH CRAP!! Sorry bout that......I KNEW that of course.......LOL.......senior moment?? Can I use that as my excuse?? :eek: I call them "Mark's birds" all the time.........

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hello, Mark all of the Ybs are doing great. I have been letting them fly around the loft. I try to only let a few out at a time. I did open the door on Saturday and let them all out they were having a blast. They are getting stronger, few more week them may be hitting the sky.

Later

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Hi Mark
sorry I missed you call last night
I didnt see that you called until this morning
Ill try to call you when I get a chance to go outside and get cell phone service lol
I FINALLY got to let the young birds out yesterday
they all steered clear of the cars this time :)
wont be able to let them out again today because its supposed to be VERY windy this afternoon :(
this weather is just horrible this year :(

1 - 20 of 347 Posts