Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, i love to see how this platform is for pigeon and people really love these birds. I'm sherry and i love birds specially chickens and parrots, i have many of them and i know how to deal with these two's problem either it's illness or any other problem, so luckily i have 2 pigeon i got them from a guy who wanted to sell them, how can i know that these 2 are hen and cock, secondly I'm a bit confused because yesterday one of my pigeon wasn't leaving his nest that i made so i kinda tried to push her to see if she's okay that's when i saw an egg underneath her, it's obvious that she is a hen who's sitting on her egg but tonight i saw my second pigeon sitting on it and my female was outside her nest i got worried because I've never seen a pair of bird sitting on an egg(idk still that they're pair or not I just assumed they are because why would some other peigon sit on someone's egg). I checked google and found out that female pigeon also lay egg without mating just like chicken and it can't be hatched. So please tell me how i know that they are pair of male and female and is it possible that both are female and sitting on egg is normal for both female because they are in same cage, my second concern is if an egg is hatched and there are lil peigon can i leave my male or female pigeon out of cage without a fear of any one of them flying away and leaving their kids behind? Btw there is only one egg.

Please enlighten me with some of your knowledge so i can take care of my peigon like i take care of my other birds ❤

· Registered
866 Posts
Hi, i love to see how this platform is for pigeon and people really love these birds. I'm sherry and i love birds specially chickens and parrots, i have many of them and i know how to deal with these two's problem either it's illness or any other problem, so luckily i have 2 pigeon i got them from a guy who wanted to sell them, how can i know that these 2 are hen and cock, secondly I'm a bit confused because yesterday one of my pigeon wasn't leaving his nest that i made so i kinda tried to push her to see if she's okay that's when i saw an egg underneath her, it's obvious that she is a hen who's sitting on her egg but tonight i saw my second pigeon sitting on it and my female was outside her nest i got worried because I've never seen a pair of bird sitting on an egg(idk still that they're pair or not I just assumed they are because why would some other peigon sit on someone's egg). I checked google and found out that female pigeon also lay egg without mating just like chicken and it can't be hatched. So please tell me how i know that they are pair of male and female and is it possible that both are female and sitting on egg is normal for both female because they are in same cage, my second concern is if an egg is hatched and there are lil peigon can i leave my male or female pigeon out of cage without a fear of any one of them flying away and leaving their kids behind? Btw there is only one egg.

Please enlighten me with some of your knowledge so i can take care of my peigon like i take care of my other birds ❤
Most of the questions have been answered on your other thread.

Good Luck 🙂

· Registered
I have some American fantails, indian fantails, 1 Portuguese tumbler, 1 old English owl, and 3 mixed
28 Posts

Hi. If the birds are taking turns sitting on the egg it means they are a mated pair.male and female. 2 hens would never take turns to sit on a egg as far as I know .
As for your 2nd question. Pigeons have a strong homing instinct but if they are new birds from another location, it's best not to release them for outdoor flying untill after they stayed at your place for a minimum of 1 month. I have releaesed birds before 1 month, they usually return but in a few cases they don't come back. If they have eggs or youngsters it greatly increases the likelihood that they will return.
One thing to keep in mind is that now ,( from october- April,; the winter months is a very dangerous time to fly pigeons outside because hawks are alot more numerous, aggressive and hungry at this time and there's a very big chance the hawks will kill your birds if you release them outside

1 - 3 of 3 Posts