Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I've read alot about Apple cider vinegar and garlic .. the general feeling is that it is good for pigeons ... but no one really gives a correct dose .. and if u can mix them together and if u can "over do it" ... help lol

·
Registered
101 Posts
Yes you can mix ACV and garlic together. I generally mince or finely chop 3-4 cloves of garlic and put in a 2 liter jug of jedds AVC. I dont think you can over do it but I'm not sure on that one. I give 2 tbs. of the mixed ACV per gal. of water twice a week. Try it you will see a difference..

Hank

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
1-2 tablespoons per gallon of water with the ACV Monday and Tuesday. 3 cloves of garlic per gallon Wednesday and Thursday. Fresh water the rest of the week. The idea is to help rid of bad bacteria fungus and germs in the digestive system with the ACV and the garlic to help build a good clean digestive system.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Okay I've read alot about Apple cider vinegar and garlic .. the general feeling is that it is good for pigeons ... but no one really gives a correct dose .. and if u can mix them together and if u can "over do it" ... help lol
here is some advice on garlic, I would not give it with the ACV, the ACV has natural enzymes and feeds good bacteria in the gut... here is a link for you to read.

http://www.pigeonbooks.com/index.php?r=14&c=73&l=en

·
Registered
101 Posts
Just because someone doesnt do it themselves doesnt mean dont try it..I was told this little trick of mixing ACV and garlic cloves by a master breeder that always seems to win or place in every show he enters. If he can win reserve grand champion in San Diego it cant be all that bad on your birds. If its good enough for a master breeder its good enough for me..

Hank

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Just because someone doesnt do it themselves doesnt mean dont try it..I was told this little trick of mixing ACV and garlic cloves by a master breeder that always seems to win or place in every show he enters. If he can win reserve grand champion in San Diego it cant be all that bad on your birds. If its good enough for a master breeder its good enough for me..

Hank
guess you did not read the article... the garlic is an antibiotic..so why would you want to give it only to kill the good things that the ACV has..? each has their own use and together may effect what you want it to do to begin with.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes that article had a lot of useful confusing info lol and I think its everyones own way Haha

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Go with what you feel is right and if it isn't then try another option! hehehe.....

I haven't heard anything bad about ACV or Garlic either way....just good things. So I think either approach will do but if you ask which is better then you'll have to find that out for yourself...:)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I see Spirit and I have different views about mixing the 2. And there is nothing wrong with her view or mine. There is no doubt Spirit knows a ton and has a lot of respect from myself and most people on this forum. All I'm saying is I have been mixing for quite a while, the birds look great! I just followed advice from a breeder that also knows his stuff. I must add however I have a regime that I follow that includes probiotics twice a week, pigeon tea, or Natural Antwerp Naturaline 15 twice a week as well. All I can say if you feel comfortable with trying it then try it I can assure you there will be no ill effects..

Regards
Hank

·
Guardian Angel
4,163 Posts
Well I mix Garlic Juice, Braggs ACV, and Braggs Amino Acids. One or Two tbs of each,I give this for the first 2 days of the week Monday /Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday they get Friendly Bacteria on Thursday vitamins, Saturday and Sunday just water nothing added. This is the system that I used while I was racing, now I use the same system with my show birds.It has worked for me for well over 20 years. GEORGE;)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I don't care what anyone wants to do...lol.. each thing you put in the water does something... just not sure if mixing changes that, I know that if I gave a probiotic I sure would not mix it with an antibiotic..lol.. I don't even give garlic..and have had the same "good results"..whatever that may be.. I guess healthy pigeons..lol..

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
I don't care what anyone wants to do...lol.. each thing you put in the water does something... just not sure if mixing changes that, I know that if I gave a probiotic I sure would not mix it with an antibiotic..lol.. I don't even give garlic..and have had the same "good results"..whatever that may be.. I guess healthy pigeons..lol..
Ample FRESH CLEAN water will go along way. But then you won't have a package arriving in the mail.:(

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Art Hees,one of the BEST racing pigeon men in the USA says.....
ACV + GARLIC + ONIONS + LEMON = healthy pigeons....All given at the same time.....WE must remember the old saying of (Too much of anything is no good)...For humans or pigeons....I think if you give the above mixture,one day a week,your OK......I think if you give ACV one day,and Garlic another day,your OK....Just don`t OVERDUE anything,including FEEDING....or TRAINING...or MEDICATING etc etc etc........Alamo

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Art Hees,one of the BEST racing pigeon men in the USA says.....
ACV + GARLIC + ONIONS + LEMON = healthy pigeons....All given at the same time.....WE must remember the old saying of (Too much of anything is no good)...For humans or pigeons....I think if you give the above mixture,one day a week,your OK......I think if you give ACV one day,and Garlic another day,your OK....Just don`t OVERDUE anything,including FEEDING....or TRAINING...or MEDICATING etc etc etc........Alamo
oh Lordy!... onion is listed as number 4 on the top 10 toxic foods for birds.. people will believe anything if they think it will give their birds an edge...you can spend bundles on "stuff" to put in water on food .. in a pill etc...:rolleyes:

just to let folks know... quote;

"4. Onions
While the use of limited amounts of onion or garlic powders as flavorings is generally regarded as acceptable, excessive consumption of onions causes vomiting, diarrhea, and a host of other digestive problems. It has been found that prolonged exposure can lead to a blood condition called hemolytic anemia, which is followed by respiratory distress and eventual death."

"

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Sorry folks...I stand corrected on the Art Hees suggested items to be given....I have refreshed my memory(Boy is that hard to do when you are over 65).....The items I mentioned above ARE CORRECT.....The re-memory part is,he would only give this mixture in the water if he though the birds were a little off racing....He didn`t explain what a "little off" was,and how many days it was given...But I would take it as not more then a day or two...This is MY thought on the mix of items above......Alamo

PS: I have given my YB`s this mix a few times....They didn`t win and they didn`t die....And they are on my OB race team NOW.....

1 - 20 of 37 Posts