Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a solo rescued wild pigeon who is completely blind in one eye and who could not fly when I found him, but can now. He is in an outdoor coop and I plan to finish a large aviary tomorrow for him. I have had him for 2 years now, but have always thought he would like company, yet do not want a bird that will pick on him because he is disabled. The mspca has had a pigeon for a while now... Begging for me to inquire... So I did. I would love to give him a chance, but what should I know? If they are both males (unsure but guessing), will they be ok with a lot of space? The one at the mspca was a stray and had mites, but they said he has been all cleared and checked by their vet. Would I keep the new one in a separate cage to see how they react first and make sure he is healthy? Could I do a meet and greet at the adoption center, or would that be too stressful (Mo is still not the friendliest, and neither is the one they have)? They said I could bring him back if it didnt work out, but I would really hate to do that to the bird. Soooo... What should I know/do? Should I go for it?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Tnx for saving this one blind eyed pigeon. If U're sure that both are males thn I'm not feeling good about it. If ur pigeon is a male thn grab a female for him.
Your idea of putting a new bird in a separate cage is a capital one. Any new addition to ur aviary should be quarantined and observed first before introducing it to the aviary.
If u want to bring the pigeon from mspca then giv it a try. Atleast MO's lonliness would be busted. If Mo is not friendly then put new bird in a cage in aviary where both the birds could see eachother. They will get together soon. If it don't work out thn u could return the bird back as u say...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Do you know if Mo is a male for sure? I've kept males together with no problems as long as the cage is big enough and there is no female to fight over. Separate cage in the aviary at first to introduce them is the way to go. How big is your loft/aviary? Pictures would help :) I saw your other thread about your new aviary and ideas for the bottom. Make sure you put wire (1/4 or 1/2 inch hardware mesh) in the ground so predators can't dig inside!
When I built my flight cages (attached to the lofts), I laid out the hardware mesh on the ground, then built the flight cage on top of it, then I curled it up the sides completely 'wrapping' the flight cage so nothing could get inside. I put a couple inches of all purpose sand (fine) on the ground over the wire. To keep the flight cage dry, I put 2 metal roofing panels on each end (for shade) and a clear poly roofing panel in the center to let sun light in thru the top.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f5/outdoor-aviary-69454.html#post748963

There's the link to my other thread for anyone else interested :)

I am not positive that he is a male, and they are not sure the pigeon for adoption is male... So it could be any pairing really. In 2 years Mo has never laid an egg, tends to coo and puff up a bit, and just looks like a boy! *hehe*

They would have a main coop that is hardware cloth with a wooden house that is 3' x 3' x 4' and they would be just in here 50% of the time I'd say (dusk-dawn). Then the aviary is 4' x 4' x 5' tall of all open space. It will have natural perches and natural shade all the time, but they would always be able to get back into the coop. Would it make a difference if they were both feral?

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I would try out the pigeon esp now is a great time because you are building a new space which means it would be new for both birds and Mo would be less interested in protecting it to an "intruder". basically it will be neutral space if you put them both in the same time. I would keep the new one in a cage for a week where mo can see it from where he stays now, then move both in the new aviary.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Here's a very calculated reply by SW. If u r introducing Mo to new space then u should definitely giv adoption a try. And like I said u have the option of returning the adopted bird back if things don't work out.
Only reason I said that I don't feel good about it and get a female bird was that I've come across cases when male pigeons fight each other until one dominates the other. Flghts could turn bloody and injury in the eye could lead to blindness. So that's why I said that if u sure Mo is male thn why not get a healthy female instead of a bird who has record of illness.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.