Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have acquired a homing pigeon. I am wondering if this bird is a social animal and happier with other pigions. How does one introduce another pigeon? I think that this one is a male and would it be better to have a female? Where do you find homing pigeons to buy? I thank you in advance for the answers.

Mozart

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
That's not easy to answer, is it a pet or does it live outside? yes they are VERY social. ask around and you should be able to find a hen for the bird you have, if it is a male. As far as introducing goes, put both birds together, if there is any signs of fighting separate them, and reintroduce each in a cage next to each other. Do this until they get to know each other. If they do not get along, it is most likely two Male birds. JMHO Dave

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons are social, and are always better off with other pigeons around. Even just having a mate would make him a happier pigeon. Why do you think it is a male? How did you acquire your bird? There are lots of people on here that can help you as to where to find them. Also, many pigeons out there to adopt. I'm sure someone will be in to help you with that.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Before you admit this bird to your loft, please make sure it is healthy. (assuming you have other birds already.) If I am bringing in another bird to my loft, and I have quarantined it I start by placing the bird in a small cage next to the larger fly pen.
The birds get a chance to see and hear each other before they actually begin the physical introduction. There will always be some kind of fighting between them, to establish who is dominant (I have had female pigeons try to establish dominance over males, so much for the role model, generic stereotypes.)
You can not stop nature from taking her course, they will fight, but not hurt each other. They will get along fine once they are together.
Put an ad on craigslist if you do not get a response from here about obtaining another pigeon. Best of luck.

PS - Where are you located.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.