Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping I can get some advice. Yesterday while sitting on my back porch I had a pigeon fly onto the porch and land a couple feet away from me. I have two dogs that love to chase birds so I tried to shoo the pigeon away. It would walk a couple steps off and stop. A little bit later my roommate went out and the pigeon ended up on her leg being petted. It stayed in our backyard until almost dark and then showed up again this morning and came and sat on my lap. When I had to get up I carried it to our birdbath so it would be off the ground and away from the dogs. We do feed the wild birds in our yard but I've never had one get this friendly. I'm wondering if it was raised as a pet and what I should do. I really don't want it to get hurt by my dogs but if it's a tame bird I don't think the bird sanctuary I normally take injured birds to would be a good fit. Are there people who will take a pigeon as a pet?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He/she is obviously a pet, and probably lost, or someone released him. This is one reason why we tell people that hand raised birds should not be released. They have no survival skills and don't know how to find food or survive on their own. Can you put down some seed and water on the deck for him? He is probably asking for food and water. Letting him go isn't a good idea as he won't survive, and needs to be rehomed. Can you put him in a cage or pet carrier for now, somewhere safe inside?
Where are you located?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.