Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all --
Since my post yesterday, I have adopted 2 pigeons. They are a mated pair, about one year old.

I have taken care of many feral pigeons, but this is my first adopted pair, and I have some questions about their behavior from experienced pigeon owners.

Having not owned them for more than 24 hours yet, there's no doubt that these two aren't fond of me! I am gentle with them, got them a nice comfy bed and living/exercise space, and they're docile enough to pick up and hold. However, they shiver a lot when I'm at their cage, or will turn their backs on me as I approach. Does this behavior subside over time, or can pigeons be irreversibly afraid of people?

Also, the male occasionally crouches down and begins puffing his chest out and purring. Sounds like the same gutteral growl I heard my feral pigeons do when they were calling out for one another. However, as his mate is right next to him, what do you suppose the purring might mean?

I certainly hope they're comfortable and warm up to me soon. I'll be perusing this forum extensively to look for additional tips on how to bond with these beautiful birds.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply! I take them out to pet them, feed and water them, and let them out on my covered patio to get some exercise. Do you think it's okay that I'm petting them so early into meeting them? Or is it better to leave them alone and not bond with them until they're more comfortable seeing me?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Pigeons don't normally like being petted. They need to learn to trust you, and then they prefer to be able to fly to you when they want to. You need to give them time to know and trust you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts