Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im adopting this bird named jasper,the ad for her has photo.im not sure what kind of pigeon she is.i think i can provide a better home then she has now.iv been reading this forum for months now and i feel ready to care for a pidgy.Any first timers advice?the owner now has her on just dove food no grit,so i need to get grit? how much does it cost for you guys? Anything else i need before she come home? i have a large 2ft by 3 ft cage for her.
http://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/pet/1506976429.html

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
she will do well with the kaytee high cal grit, not sure what she is, but her pattern is called a "saddle". she looks a bit like a figurita that is saddle marked, but don't think that is a pattern for them...so she may just be mixed breed if the last owner did not tell you what she was. if she is a hen you may need fake eggs which are a must with a laying hen.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Just curious, how do fake eggs help a hen that does not have access to a cock?
well if she thinks her human is her mate she will lay eggs for them, and it is a good idea to use the fake just so nothing gets broken as it is a mess and sometimes eggs can go bad and smell and if they crack....yuck....lol.. so it is just easier to use the non breakable fake ones. my dove hens do not have a male in with them so sometimes I will leave their real eggs for a few days untill I get around to exchanging them...have had some get broken and it is a mess on the feathers.

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Welcome, Kailey lane! Thank you so much for adopting this pigeon. I, also, am not sure what breed s/he is. Please post us more pictures, and someone will know. It's possible the bird is a mixed breed, but that doesn't really matter when you are taking in a pigeon as a pet .. they all are loved regardless!

Terry

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHES HOME! so i got jasper yesterday:) shes an angel.i got a few new pics.she has grey tear drop markings under her eyes and ruffled /curly feather on her chest just in front.i dont care what she is! i will always love her just the same.heres my baby

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
btw, any name ideas??? i dont dig the name jasper for a girl.If she was being used as a breeder at the state fair less then 3 months ago,does this mean they had her vet checked?she is banded also.Does it mean she was vaccninated if she was used for breeding?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
one more of my girl,will get better qiulity photos when i get my new camera,also the cage set up is not done yet,i just have the basics for her to be comfy till i get my check.any ideas for perches would be great! i thinks she much better off then she was living with cardboard perches.

Attachments

·
Registered
820 Posts
Kailey,
CONGRATS on yr first pij. :D. She's adorable, luv the snappy grey saddle. Unless you know for sure the dates[of vaccination], I'ld get her cheaked if possible.can't say the type but might be mixed with some fantail ;from the ruffled chest feathers. Good looking bird,hope ya have good times with her. Peace :)

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
If she was used as a breeder and at the state fair, I'd think she was purebred. Hope someone can identify the breed but she IS a lovely lady and good job on giving her a loving home. Gotta warn you-they're addictive! Thanks for the pics!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
btw, any name ideas??? i dont dig the name jasper for a girl.If she was being used as a breeder at the state fair less then 3 months ago,does this mean they had her vet checked?she is banded also.Does it mean she was vaccninated if she was used for breeding?
did you ask the seller any questions? she still looks like a figurita to me, never seen one saddle marked though...Wish George would have a peek..

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Im in love with her already!and yes im already addicted,these bird will be in my life forever i know that! iv been on this forum for months and wanted a pij so bad:) It just feels right having her here.Do they like any fruits? and what happens when a pij doesn't have grit? becuse the previous owner had her for 3 months with no grit.....will she be ok? will she be ok without grit untilli get paid fri? wasnt planning on getting her till i had all of the supplies but the owner left town and had me take her early, sorry i ask so many questions ...lol this is really the best place to get pet pij info :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I think she is a German Owl. If not maybe an Italian Owl. Pigeons don't eat fruit. She'll be alright if she has been without grit but get her some asap.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Becege you were right! she is a old German owl,the last owner just figured it out for me:) little birdy just had her first bath.....what a joy to watch

·
Guardian Angel
10,523 Posts
Hi Kailey lane!

My gang and I are flyin' in to say WELCOME!

As for a new name, Jessica was the first name that came to mind.

I name just about anything and everything! However, if Jessica does not sound "quite right," you might just wait and "ask" your new adorable hen what she would like to be called. Sometimes, a "name" will just "come to you" when least expected.

I feed my guys Kaytee Supreme Fortified Daily Blend for Colombes - Doves - Palomas. Comes in a 5 lb bag from Petco. I also buy Oyster Grit either at the pet store or the bird store down the street.

We loooove answering questions, so ask away! There is someone for just about any and every question! :D

Look forward to seeing more pictures and hearing tales of adventure!

Love, Hugs and Scritches

Shi/Mr. Squeaks/Dom/Gimie/WoeBeGone :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Th 2007 indicates that she was banded in that year. The IBP indicates Independent Pigeon Breeder. This means that the owner was not a NPA {National Pigeon Association} member. The initials usually indicate an asssociaton or a pigeon club.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts