Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Just as I was about to pull out from the parking lot on the way from work, I had the misfortune of witnessing a bird slam into the side of a concrete building. I went and picked up the poor pigeon and put him in a box in my car. I drove him home and he has since been there with a bowl of water and seed.

It's been four days, and he has not eaten a single seed. The problem is, his tail appears to be severely bent downwards and he cannot maintain proper balance without thrashing about the place, knocking over anything I've set up for him. I countered this with sturdier bowls, but he still does not eat, mostly because he can't get to the bowl, but even when I hold him infront of it he will not peck.

He drinks plenty of water, however. I hold the bowl of water up to him and he begins to drink.

It's been four days, and I can feel a very distinct keel bone. I feel as though he is on the way to death, but will not acknowledge. I've tried force feeding, but the seed just sits in his mouth. He's adequately warmed, so I don't believe this is the issue. The droppings are of a greenish hue and semisolid. He seems perfectly cognizant, but will not eat. What can I do?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Can you please post your location so we can see if we know of an experienced rehabber in your area. This bird needs urgent help.
Till then, please keep the bird very warm. a heating pad set on low with a towel over it is best. Make sure the bird can get away from the heat source if it wants to. If you dont have a heating pad a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel will suffice. Dont feed the bird till he is warmed up.
For right now, to feed him; run some warm water over some frozen peas to defrost them till they are warm. Don't use a microwave as this can create uneven temps and the center can burn the bird.
Lightly wrap the bird in a towel so he is easier to handle. very gently open the birds mouth and place a single pea at a time at the very back of it's throat and let the bird close it's mouth to swallow. Make sure it is pushed back far enough and is fully being swallowed as not to block their airway.
It is hard to know with that information if this bird had physical trauma from hitting the wall, or if something wrong with it caused it to hit the wall.
Can you post a picture of the bird and its droppings?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Thanks for saving the bird.
If head trauma is suspected, it is advisable not to put the bird over a heat pad. Please see here under the head 'Concussion':
http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/illnessesandinjuries.htm
I can't imagine why the seeds would not go down, if the bird can drink water, it can swallow. It is natural that it would not be hungry if its head is hurting badly. Giving meloxicam or metacam(painkiller) can help. Dosage is very small...0.2 mg per kilogram of bird I think. It can help ease the pain and get him to eat.
Hope you are able to force-feed him soon...4 days without food is the maximum they can survive on just water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. Below is a link to an image file host for some pictures of the pigeon.

http://imgur.com/a/REyAL

He has started eating! I got home and quietly walked towards my door, and I could hear the pecking sound of a beak on ceramic tile. He seems to be a bit more comfortable, and he has produced a few more droppings. I live in Grand Prairie, Texas. I am of a limited disposable income, and I am not able to pour hundreds of dollars onto this bird, but if there was a reputable free of charge (If those exist)shelter nearby that would be great to know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
959 Posts
That's good news!
If all he has is head trauma, he could make a full recovery in the coming weeks. Once he starts to fly, allow him to fly freely inside the room for a while. Once you are sure he is eating and healthy and flying, you can release him back where you found him.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.