Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two pigeons have eggs that are soon to hatch and I wonder if there is anything I can do differently to help keep the chicks (and parents) healthy? Such as change feeding habits, add supplements and so on. I very occasionally add avipro to their water, and that is really the only supplement I give them. I don't race or show my pigeons, they are both rescues that I keep in an aviary and are members of the family.

I'm very familiar with hand rearing orphaned chicks, but now that I'm leaving the care to the parents I'm concerned that I don't know what to do or will do something drastically wrong.

And a final question; how old do the chicks need to be before it's okay to worm them? I've had a look at another forum post asking this question and some people said 6 weeks but I just wanted to make sure.

All help is appreciated, thank you!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
From what I've read, no deworming until they are 2 months old. No need to change feeding habits. You can give vitamins and calcium according to instructions. Also apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 litre water) twice a week.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've read, no deworming until they are 2 months old. No need to change feeding habits. You can give vitamins and calcium according to instructions. Also apple cider vinegar (5 ml to 1 litre water) twice a week.
Thank you so much for the advice! What are the benefits of using apple cider vinegar? I haven't come across using it before

1 - 5 of 5 Posts