Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,
Apologies if theres a thread on these boards already requesting the same info, this is my first time on the forums so please bear with me :). I've always loved watching pigeons and I'm particularly fascinated by the tumbler varieties ; I love the way they move and roll and the general look that some of them have - i like my pigeons cute and chubby LOL.
Whats the recommended minimum number of birds i can keep and what sort of basic set-up would they require? Also are there any books for the novice with no experience of keeping pigeons which can be recommended?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks friends.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
welcome to PT, you sound already smittin..lol.. as far as how many it just depends on how much room you have and where you will be keeping them..do you own a house or live in a flat? where would you fly them? are there alot of feral pigeons around you? also hopefully someone in the UK will chime in to help you as keeping pigeons there may be diff than here in the US.. here is a link with some info that may help you on your way of how to take care of them.

http://www.ukanimalproducts.com/Products.aspx?cat=12

·
Registered
851 Posts
Look for a local club or someone who can mentor you as well. This has been critical for us. We were able to get into lofts and "work" with birds before we actually had our own. That helped us decide what we liked and didn't like in loft design, nest box design, nest fronts, feeders and feeding methods, waterers, and even scrapers. Not only that, but when we did get our own birds, there was no timidity in handling them as we had other folks teach us with their "valuable" birds.

BTW, you realize that this is like an addiction? Once you are hooked you will need your daily dose of bird time or you will go through withdrawal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey thanks guys thats good advice, much appreciated.
I live in a house behind quite a large woodland area and there used to be lots of wild pigeons in the garden but as of late they have all but disappeared, now its just lots of ravens and crows for some reason, my gardens not that big, about 150sq ft.
I have quite an addictive personality to start with so yes, I can see myself spending quite a sizeable part of my life with these wonderful creatures :)

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I live in a house behind quite a large woodland area and there used to be lots of wild pigeons in the garden but as of late they have all but disappeared, now its just lots of ravens and crows for some reason, my gardens not that big, about 150sq ft.
I have quite an addictive personality to start with so yes, I can see myself spending quite a sizeable part of my life with these wonderful creatures :)
sounds perfect...:)

·
Registered
137 Posts
H
Whats the recommended minimum number of birds i can keep and what sort of basic set-up would they require?
1 is the minimum :D

Pigeons are social, so you'll probably want to get at least 2, but it's not required (so much depends on what your goals and objectives are).

Do a little research on lofts and start thinking about what size you'd be most comfortable with. You can always start small and modify as your interests grow.

·
Registered
503 Posts
How I started

Tom Domanski of Domanski Lofts turned me onto some books he finds to be "must haves". Some are out of print but you can find them.
1-Rotondo On Racing Pigeons by Joseph Rotondo
2-A Veterinary Approach to Pigeon Health by Dr David Marx
3-Pigeon Lore by A. Neilson Hutton
4-Pigeon Racing by Herbert R. Axelrod
5-Intensive Line-Breeding by M.H. "Dad" Paget.
I hope these are some help to you. They were to me just starting out. I would also check out Tom Domanski's site for more information. https://sites.google.com/site/racingpigeonssite/Home

·
Registered
503 Posts
The crows are not a bad thing to have around. If you have crows around I have found that they help keep the hawks in check. When a hawk comes into the area the crows go after the hawks and mess with them. The good thing is if your pigeons are out flying it gives them a chance to stay clear of the hawk.:cool:

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
If I may make a suggestion, Bunnyrabbit (or at least raise a thought to be considered):
In you eventual acquisition of Pigeons for your loft, consider/leave room for some rescued Ferals. There are sooooo many UK members on this Forum, and there are always sooooo many Ferals which are rescued and healed but then unreleasable due to their original injury or illness (i.e. unable to regain full flight, missing a foot or leg, blind in one eye, etc). Rehabbed Ferals make wonderful companions and aviary birds, and you would be doing them a great favor as there are far too many unreleasables which cannot be placed.

Just something to mull over....

Welcome to the Forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for all your advice people, I'm heading off to the library after work to grab some of those books, then hopefully start on my loft at the weekend - will prolly make a further pain of myself these next coming months picking all of your brains LOL. This forum and its members are brilliant, so much info here :D Thank-you all for making me feel welcome!

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
let the fun begin! to me picking out how you want your loft is so fun!... let us know if you need opinions or even advice..:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts