Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my old german owl cock is losing the plumage around his beak,and some patches on his face.i have treated him and all the others with endecto for mites lice and worms.what could this be?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Hi Teboo, I am sorry that your german owl pigeon is having some issues. I don't have german owls, but am thinking that it may very klikely be canker. Two years ago my white Indian fantail, Uchiwa, had symptoms, but I quickly ruled out the thought of canker because I take care of my birds, and keep them clean and their quarters clean. He did indeed had canker. I treated him, as well as my others, and it cleared up in a bit over a week.

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
CANKER/TRICHOMONAS;
This is a protozoan infection and is very common in pigeons. Adult birds can get it but it strikes mostly the squabs in the next, symptoms of
this canker are lesions in the mouth or throat with a yellowish-white substance.

It seems that the links that I researched for you are either not in existence any longer or have changed.

I am still at work, but will answer back with the product I use, which is very effective.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is nothing wrong inside his mouth? this is feather loss around his beak,and alittle on his head,i can try to post a pic?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
There are many other symptoms besides yellow spots inside the mouth and throat. Feather loss can be a symptom too. Here are some more from an article on canker by Dr. Colin Walker.

Birds with elevated trichomonad levels are said to have 'wet canker'. Signs of infection can be subtle and quite varied. Typical signs that would alert the fancier to its possible presence include:

1. 'Penguin' posture - Associated with proventricular (glandular stomach) and crop pain. Birds will lean back on their tails and gulp. Noticed particularly after eating and drinking.

2. 'Dry feather' - Due to lack of down feather drop and bloom production.

3. 'Leady' feel - Affected birds will not come into condition and feel heavy in the hand.

4. Wet dropping - Inflammation in the digestive tract creates a thirst, leading to elevated water intake and urine production. This produces a clear watery rim around the dropping.

5. Green droppings - Due to digestive tract irritation and in some birds decreased food intake.

6. Inflammation in the throat - Tonsillitis and increased clear to grey bubbly mucus.

7. Interference with crop function - Delayed crop emptying and sometimes vomiting.

8. Increased food consumption by team as a whole

9. Dry yellow canker - In birds of any age, this tells you that many other birds have elevated trichomonad levels, which have not yet passed the threshold for yellow material to form.

10. Indirect signs - Poor loft flying, poor tossing, respiratory problems that respond poorly to medication or quickly relapse, a dramatic improvement in the birds' general vigour in response to anticanker medication are all suggestive.

Definitive diagnosis, however, depends on microscopic examination of a crop flush. Microscopic changes that are suggestive of the problem also develop in the dropping,. These changes are associated with the stress of the disease and include elevated E. coli and yeast levels. These changes, however, do not occur in all birds.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so i need to seperate him from the other birds? and get some meds for him immediently,should i treat my other birds too

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
All your birds should be treated so there is no need to separate them.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
what is endecto?

·
Registered
4,055 Posts
Great post Charis. You shared much good information.

Teboo, start the Trichomonas meds immediately. Do a group treatment with all your pigeons even
if they have different bowls. Change the water every 24-12hours depending
on how hot it is. You can treat with Dimetridazole.

Uchiwa had a spat with canker and I really couldn't see anything when looking down the throat. But I can assure you
that it is most likely canker. It is quite common in pigeons.
Please don't wait to treat! I treated Uchies with Metronidazole
cream on the outside as well, and he has started growing in new feathers within days in
the area since the Canker treatment.

I treat all my pigeons at the start of Summer yearly now as a preventative measure.

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
I can't find any information of feather loss and canker in any of my reference books so I am unable to confirm or disconfirm what I have concluded from my own experience, but when I have seen canker related feather loss (or more often bare patches on youngsters where the feathers have failed to grow) it has occured on the skin directly above the canker nodule, so if there was a canker nodule on the right hand side of a pigeon's mouth then the skin on the outside was be bare, this was usually assymetrical. So if I see a bare patch in the face area I would expect the canker to be visible in the mouth...I think this is because of the effect of the lesion on the feather follicles but, of course, I could be wrong.

Treat him and the other pigeons for canker, it is important to do that if canker is suspected, but don't panic if that doesn't stop or correct the feather loss.

I know it is early in the year, but I wonder if he could be moulting. Our white pigeon Flakey looked a complete mess around his face and beak last year, we thought it was mites but it was the moult. This year he has started the same pattern of feather loss, because he is white it is more visible than it would be on a dark bird. I will try to get a photo for comparison.

Cynthia

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
my old german owl cock is losing the plumage around his beak,and some patches on his face.i have treated him and all the others with endecto for mites lice and worms.what could this be?
I would treat for canker and give the endo/ecto some time to work. It may just be blood sucking mites, but it takes time for results. Since you don't have an actual diagnosis, the canker treatment would be in order, if you can't get the bird to an avian vet.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some of my pigeon moulting the same way i dont think anything wrong with your pigeon
you are correct,i also sent a pic to the man i deal with buying pigeon supplies from,and he said the same thing.he is molting.thanks for all the resonses.:eek:

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
This is a picture of my baby that had canker really bad. Her throat was almost closed, and she had a lump sticking out on her neck. The spartrix didn't help, so I gave her liquid Flagyl from the vet. Her sibling was perfectly feathered. She , thank God, is well now, and her feathers have filled in beautifully.

By the way Charis, that was excellent information. I copied and printed it. Thank you.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the bird is alittle older then a year.i checked his throat,inside his mouth and there is nothing unusual.my birds feathers are not missing as you can see in the photo,actually it looks as if they are growing in?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
He could be moulting. The first time one of mine looked really bad, and I thought she had some horrible disease, it just turned out to be a moult.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts