Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this pigeon outside my house an hour ago. It is wobbly, uncoordinated and lethargic. I couldn't find any obvious broken bones or injuries. Eyes and pupils seem normal when they are open, but it is spending a lot of time with eyes closed resting/sleeping. Some unusual head movements. When it tries to walk it is very wobbly and slow, taking a few seconds for each step and falling down often. Refusing water, electrolytes and food. It is resting now in a warm, dark box. I have attached a picture of the bird and its poop.

Location is New Zealand.

Grey Comfort Dog breed Carnivore Felidae
Wood Flooring Grass Beige Pattern

·
Registered
6,171 Posts
Can you take a flashlight and check inside the beak and back of the throat for any unusual white or yellow growths? You can hydrate him by dipping the tip of the beak (not over the nostrils) in a small bowl of water. Do this until he drinks. Easier if you have him on your lap.

·
Banned
179 Posts
I found this pigeon outside my house an hour ago. It is wobbly, uncoordinated and lethargic. I couldn't find any obvious broken bones or injuries. Eyes and pupils seem normal when they are open, but it is spending a lot of time with eyes closed resting/sleeping. Some unusual head movements. When it tries to walk it is very wobbly and slow, taking a few seconds for each step and falling down often. Refusing water, electrolytes and food. It is resting now in a warm, dark box. I have attached a picture of the bird and its poop.

Location is New Zealand.

View attachment 99549 View attachment 99551
Could be PMV.
Bird looks rather healthy .
Except for head position.
His sight and judgement of distance will be greatly affected.As well as balance.Youll have to hand feed the bird if his having trouble locating food.
Try putting 5ml of apple cider vinegar to a litre of water.use a small bowl that won't tip over.And try and get the bird to drink it.after the bird drinks remove the bowl and replace with fresh water.
Just wet the tip of his beak and guide it to drink from the bowl.same for food.dont leave the food and water alone with the bird it will make a mess of things.
Its worked for me in the past.
Also don't let the bird bath in this state he could drown.
Good luck.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hello, How is your bird doing? To me this bird looks very sick,
if he's not improving I would get him to a vet.

Good Luck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts