Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rescue pigeon spends most of his time out of his cage free roaming but occasionally I do need to put him in his cage i.e when I go to bed. He is afraid of hands and won't let me touch him unless he is sitting on me for a while and I only scratch his head. Putting him in his cage is becoming an ordeal and I have to chase him around to catch him, which is awful and stresses him out and is definitely not helping his fear. He's not very food oriented (doesn't like millet, cracked corn, sunflower seeds, or even bread) so I have no clue how to calm him down, get him to trust my hands, or teach him behaviors like 'step up'. How can I get him in his cage stress free? And how can I get him to trust me and my hands? I eventually want to be able to put him in pants and have him get on my hand to put him in his cage without him freaking out.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Pigeons like the highest perch available. If the cage is lower than the top of a bookshelf, or a window sash, or a curtain rod, then the bird would probably prefer to sleep somewhere else. If it is possible to raise the height of the cage, the bird might then actually prefer to sleep in the cage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Pigeons like the highest perch available. If the cage is lower than the top of a bookshelf, or a window sash, or a curtain rod, then the bird would probably prefer to sleep somewhere else. If it is possible to raise the height of the cage, the bird might then actually prefer to sleep in the cage.
The cage is pretty high already- a little taller than me. There are some bookcases etc that are even taller but I have no clue how I would raise cage to be higher than that. He likes to sit on the top of his cage but never goes inside it even to eat or drink unless I put him in there and shut the door

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And to catch him, could you try a hand-held perch? I had to do that with my doves before they were confident enough to come to my hand.
I will try this but not super hopeful it will work.. as soon as he sees the cage and sees he's being placed inside he immediately tries to fly away

1 - 5 of 5 Posts