Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,
I have no experience with doves but I do love all animals and wildlife and have rescued many cats, dogs, rats, mice, voles, squirrels, etc.
I have recently been made aware of someone who could no longer care for her 150 ring neck doves she obviously allowed to breed. She said she found homes on craigslist for all but 30 or so. She could not stand seeing all the carnage every morning after the racoons got to them in her apparent sub-standard cages, bunny hutches and decided to just release them into the wild. That was on or about Father's Day of this year. We have sightings on a few and one that is willing to climb into a wire dog crate as of this afternoon.
We are 3 people who want to help recapture these beautiful birds and get them safe and secure. I'm not sure what we'll do then but I cannot just sit back doing nothing and letting them become part of the food chain.
I've been reading up on these sweet birds and I am interested in any support, connections to foster families or help you can provide. Right now I have an outdoor cage that is used for squirrel rehabilitation release. It is vacant at this time and I could use it temporarily. It is 8'tall x 4' wide and 12' long all regulation grade materials per Fish and Game standards. Predator proof, 1/2" wire mesh all around. Shelving around the entire perimeter at the top and large trees branches secured and fastened for climbing. Obviously I would need to make some alterations to the interior decor for the doves. How many can I fit in here temporarily? I've read 4 and somewhere else said 10. We know of possibly 4 that are still living and around this neighborhood but are considering talking the owner into feeding any that may be hanging around her house and capturing them as well.
How can we catch them safely? I also live at 3800' where we get snow so some other arrangements will need to be made before then. I do have 350 sf. of indoor space with a concrete floor, lots of windows and central heat and air. An unfinished sunroom. If I needed to bring them in for the winter, what kind of cages would I need to purchase so they were happy and healthy? We want to gather at least one up tomorrow, Friday since she is walking into a dog kennel with one of the rescuers that has bonded with her. She has been seen with another one. Should we take them as we can or should we wait for her/his mate to come at the same time. Already the hawk was eyeing it in the tree today and caused it to come up onto the wisteria covered porch.
Any advice, referrals to foster families etc would be most helpful.
Thank you!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello. I hope that you know these birds coo morning and at night sometimes.
I was referred to this forum from the Mickacoo Foundation as being a very helpful place to come for advice on helping the doves. I'm hoping that someone can share some information related to my post

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thank you so much for wanting to assist these doves. They will not survive for long on their own.

Your 8x4x12 enclosure should work OK for up to 20-24 doves. If you are fortunate enough to capture all 30 of them then things would be a bit cozy but could work temporarily until additional space could be provided for them. Because you already have shelving and branches in the enclosure that gives the birds more room by being able to get up off the floor and not having to crowd all 30 birds on the floor.

I would go ahead and catch as many as possible and as soon as possible to lessen the chance of them being taken by predators. "Luring" them into carriers will probably work for some and the rest will probably have to be caught using long handled nets. If you know where they go to roost at night then catching them at night should be far easier than trying to get them during the day as they will be more hesitant to fly.

Here's a link with some cage size info for when you need to move them inside: http://www.thatpetplace.com/ringneck-dove-article . Cages can be the inexpensive rectangular light duty cages and certainly do not need to be (and should not be) parrot type cages.

Aside from catching them all, your biggest challenge is going to be finding fosters or homes for them all. Posting here in the Adoption forum may garner some homes for them, but you will probably need to be prepared to be looking for homes on other sites/forums too.

I wish you success with rescuing all these birds, and bless you for trying.

Terry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you Terry for your helpful post.

Someone spoke to the previous owner to see if there were any still hanging around her home. When she found out what we were trying to do to save the ones she released, she flipped out. She has been feeding them and says some are even nesting in the trees near her home. She's had them for 30 years? She's happy that they are free outside the cages and enjoying their lives. She loves hearing them coo in the trees and being free. Not sure how to handle this situation. Knowing they won't be very happy when the leaves fall from the trees and the snow and rain come in. This woman seems like she has a hoarder mentality. Little by little the doves are going to die and she doesn't care. She thinks it better than having them killed in there crappy cages she's had them in for so many years. She want's them to be free.
We had one captured today but she became so upset I didn't know if it would be cruel to seperate her from her mate and friends. The gal let her go and she showed up this afternoon again so she will continue to feed it until we get more information from experienced dove owners.
Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for wanting to assist these doves. They will not survive for long on their own.

Your 8x4x12 enclosure should work OK for up to 20-24 doves. If you are fortunate enough to capture all 30 of them then things would be a bit cozy but could work temporarily until additional space could be provided for them. Because you already have shelving and branches in the enclosure that gives the birds more room by being able to get up off the floor and not having to crowd all 30 birds on the floor.

I would go ahead and catch as many as possible and as soon as possible to lessen the chance of them being taken by predators. "Luring" them into carriers will probably work for some and the rest will probably have to be caught using long handled nets. If you know where they go to roost at night then catching them at night should be far easier than trying to get them during the day as they will be more hesitant to fly.

Here's a link with some cage size info for when you need to move them inside: http://www.thatpetplace.com/ringneck-dove-article . Cages can be the inexpensive rectangular light duty cages and certainly do not need to be (and should not be) parrot type cages.

Aside from catching them all, your biggest challenge is going to be finding fosters or homes for them all. Posting here in the Adoption forum may garner some homes for them, but you will probably need to be prepared to be looking for homes on other sites/forums too.

I wish you success with rescuing all these birds, and bless you for trying.

Terry
What kind of nets do you use? I'll check with my feed stores to see what's available.
I'm shocked that I could actually house that many doves together. Although she had them crammed in hutches 150 of them. They were walking all over each other. Filthy conditions.
What temperatures can they be outside in?
Do they need veternarian exams, wormed or any special ongoing medical care? Someone mentioned to me that some may be agressive an "Peck" at others. What then?
Just trying to know what I need to be prepared for.
Thanks for any and all suggestions and help. We really want to do what is right for these birds.
I'm hoping this woman comes to her senses and realizes that he selfishness is going to kill them. Short life but a happy life is better than being caged and unhappy in her mind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found Ringed neck Dove

Your last post was over a year ago but I wonder if you are somewhere in CA. I found a dove or should I say, it found me in my garden, thirsty and hungry. It was easy to catch and seemed used to being handled. The tag on its leg is from 2005. The NPA Office said that they do not have records that far back. If you are near L.A. and are interested in taking the dove please write to my e-mail. It is a beautiful cream colored dove with a think black ring around its neck.
Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts