Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had 2 baby pigeons around 5-6 weeks old. One male (Felix) and one female (Cloudy.)

Felix would follow Cloudy wherever she went. The pair seemed to be inseparable it was amusing to watch as they pecked away and cuddled up together. Cloudy showed more signs of tameness in the sense she was so much more laid back. She would happily let you hold and pet her whenever you felt it. Felix on the other hand would let you pet him for a brief while and you could carry him to a sink to wash for example, but nothing more than a few feet before he fought out of your grasp. He was always warier and seemed 'on edge' in comparison to Cloudy. However, the pair was settling in nicely to their new home.

They were living indoors for roughly a week when they began flying I decided to move their nest to my outside balcony where they stayed happily for a few days. Unfortunately, early one morning a stray cat ventured upwards and snatched what I believed at the time to be both birds. Utterly devastated I couldn't help but blame myself. After an entire day of grieving the loss of our new beloved pets, I was surprised yet delighted to find Felix had returned to my home. He was obviously very wary and only came for some water and seed before flying off again. He did this 2-3 times a day for 2 days. He's come into the house (of his own free will) and he flew up high to get away from me. Whenever I tried to handle him he'd slap my hands away with his wings. Deciding he needed time to adjust to his surroundings once again I left him alone. He's now perched on the bathroom door and has been for hours now. He's got better in the sense he'll let me near him and he will feed out of the palm of my hand but whenever I go to touch him he makes a squeaking noise until I move my hand away. Since his return, I've noticed that he has started plucking and biting at his feathers a lot. I understand he may still be in shock at what has happened. He's only 8 weeks old so isn't mated but Is this a sign of grievance he's going through at the loss of Cloudy? Any advice on how I can help him feel more comfortable would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE
After two weeks of grieving, today, I decided to get Felix a friend. He's connected instantly to her and has become territorial towards us whenever we go near her! Eek!
Bird Beak Feather Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Among feral pigeons, fledglings are inseparable for a month or so after leaving the nest, then they go their separate ways. After that they treat one another the same way that they would treat any member of the flock. The circumstances of the separation are no doubt causing stress for the bird, but the timing of him becoming independent is about right. You could add a little bit of chamomile tea to his drinking water to help with the stress.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Among feral pigeons, fledglings are inseparable for a month or so after leaving the nest, then they go their separate ways. After that, they treat one another the same way that they would treat any member of the flock. The circumstances of the separation are no doubt causing stress for the bird, but the timing of him becoming independent is about right. You could add a little bit of chamomile tea to his drinking water to help with the stress.
Thanks for the tip. He's still very wary today. He was perched the same way this morning as he was last night. It doesn't look as though he's relaxed very much all night. However, he did venture out not too long ago for a stroll before returning to his spot on the door. I guess that's some improvement? I'll try the tea. I'm a little worried about letting him back outside straight away. If he's reached independence, does that mean he eventually won't return or is our home essentially his 'new nest'?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If a flying set of razor blades was attacking people outside your home, you'd probably seek a safe hiding place, or a crowd of other people. In the bird's case, your home is the safest place he knows, and you are his flock. He'll calm down in time and the urge to go out and be with other doves will get stronger as he matures.

Normally the bird's father would teach them where to find food, water, and their flock. If there is a nearby flock of ferals, perhaps make a video recording from your door or driveway to their location and play the video for him on a loop. Or if you have a carrier, take the bird with you a couple of times.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Th
I had 2 baby pigeons around 5-6 weeks old. One male (Felix) and one female (Cloudy.)

Felix would follow Cloudy wherever she went. The pair seemed to be inseparable it was amusing to watch as they pecked away and cuddled up together. Cloudy showed more signs of tameness in the sense she was so much more laid back. She would happily let you hold and pet her whenever you felt it. Felix on the other hand would let you pet him for a brief while and you could carry him to a sink to wash for example, but nothing more than a few feet before he fought out of your grasp. He was always warier and seemed 'on edge' in comparison to Cloudy. However, the pair was settling in nicely to their new home.

They were living indoors for roughly a week when they began flying I decided to move their nest to my outside balcony where they stayed happily for a few days. Unfortunately, early one morning a stray cat ventured upwards and snatched what I believed at the time to be both birds. Utterly devastated I couldn't help but blame myself. After an entire day of grieving the loss of our new beloved pets, I was surprised yet delighted to find Felix had returned to my home. He was obviously very wary and only came for some water and seed before flying off again. He did this 2-3 times a day for 2 days. He's come into the house (of his own free will) and he flew up high to get away from me. Whenever I tried to handle him he'd slap my hands away with his wings. Deciding he needed time to adjust to his surroundings once again I left him alone. He's now perched on the bathroom door and has been for hours now. He's got better in the sense he'll let me near him and he will feed out of the palm of my hand but whenever I go to touch him he makes a squeaking noise until I move my hand away. Since his return, I've noticed that he has started plucking and biting at his feathers a lot. I understand he may still be in shock at what has happened. He's only 8 weeks old so isn't mated but Is this a sign of grievance he's going through at the loss of Cloudy? Any advice on how I can help him feel more comfortable would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE
After two weeks of grieving, today, I decided to get Felix a friend. He's connected instantly to her and has become territorial towards us whenever we go near her! Eek! View attachment 101105
That's very good of you for getting him another friend because pigeons and very jealous and don't won't to be alone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts