Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am in New Zealand and I have a ringnecked dove that was found on the ground. I suspect hit by a car. The bird has lost its left eye and there is encrusted blood hanging out from the eye. I have been gently trying to get rid of this encrusted blood using a saline solution. It also has a injured beak, top and bottom beak slightly crossed over. It is preening itself with its beak but it is not picking up seed. I am feeding the bird a young bird food mix with breadcrumbs, bit of seed and cooking egg yolk and it is eating a little.
Will this beak correct itself in time?

Any other help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You sound like you are doing very good with him or her and just make sure it is in a secure place--a laundry with a heavy lid and make sure it is warm and well hydrated and if its eyes get blinking a whole lot that means it needs so fluid. At night if it is cold there and the bird is not fully feathered which I think it probley is but one never knows get a heating or a hot water bottle or a heat lamp off to the side to keep the bird warm and it is best to feed this bird when it is warm and you might have to feed this little one by hand----gently because of its beak---you need to post a picture of the dove if you can especially the eye and mouth area so that the rehabilitaion people can see the overall bird judging its age and general situation of this unfortunate little one--but make sure it is in a secure place inside your home so that it stays warm..Since it is eating some seed you could try frozen peas and corn in its mouth but go easy with this because of the mouth condition--try to mix those breadcrumbs with some water and make some balls out of them even if you have to hold it together with egg. People must see the beak and I to tell you if it will be okay and just be really gentle with the beak area and I am sure the bird professionals will come on this post to help you--post a picture if you can for that would be very helpful......c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply. It is in a secure place with a heatpad under it. I have tried peas and corn but not interested and will only eat or drink if I put the food/water on a tiny paintbrush and brush it against its beak.
Will try to put up a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You are doing wonderful do you have a vet in the area to look at that eye for seems very bad and the bird will need some antibiotics--I believe the beak will readjust itself but for now make sure it is hydrated even if you have to very gently hold the side of the beak make it open and drop some water in --small spoond---eye dropper gently --I would try to dip the bird beak into a bowl of water and it should suck it up --hope so--if not you are going to have to hydrate it..c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Do you have other animals in the house hold or something that would bother it in case it took flight for it could get hurt more---get a box with a lid or a laundry basket with a lid or a dog carried or cage something to confine it for safety until this is worked out...Do you have a vet near by or a rehab center for birds--whatever you call them there --wildlife sanctuary...But you must make sure they will not put this bird down and don't let them because the bird can be helped and rehabilitated--this is important--if they suggest it say no because it is a pet bird....c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bird was sent to me from a vet (I do bird rescue for my area). Vet did not administer antiobiotic but gave it a pain killer. I have gently put the beak into water and it is drinking a little but I am making its food very watery and sloppy also. Great about the beak readjusting itself.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Is the bird secure away from house animals and other things and you are keeping it warm this is good and sloppy food is good for awhile and I am so glad that you are a rescuer yourself for thats why you know what to do and there will be other rescue people on this thread that will give you advice about medicine..Can you take a picture of the side of the head with the eye injury---that would be great....c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The area around the eye does not look inflamed or infected ... it is just dried blood that has oozed out of the eye that looks so awful. It is diminishing though with very gently touching it with saline solution, I am getting the blood off a bit. The vet did say that the bird would be blind in this eye and they did want to put it down.... but I said I was prepared to try to help the poor thing. Amazingly enough this is the second dove in a week that has been handed to me. The other dove had a dreadful hole in the top of its head which was terribly infected. I did administer antibiotic to this bird and although it has also lost sight in one eye, it is recovered and in an aviary until I have built it up a bit more.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You doing wonderful and do you have any antibiotic cream for this eye to soften up the hard blood somewhat...c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have some Tricin eye ointment - antiobiotic but I found with the other little dove it seemed to do more harm... do you think I should try this on the blood?
(Thanks so much for your advice and help by the way).

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I know what you mean by these birds just appearing for I have a squeaker that I took out of a cats mouth last night and its a miracle I was able to retrieve it but it got caught in behind a trash can while I was putting out trash and it has about 6 or 7 puncture wounds in the neck and belly area and its tail feathers are gone. I have it on pencillim (sp) right how until I discover something else better and ampicillim (sp) I have too just in case but I am feeding it seed and water and it is warm and it is really perking up and I think it will be fine. I am using triple antibiotic cream on its puncture wounds so I know what you mean GillyJ. Are you in New Zealand because I can pm a excellent person who can give you very good advice...and maybe me as well....c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I will carry on using the saline solution and I have also used colloidal silver on the eye. I am in New Zealand but am in a fairly remote area. This is now day 3 with this bird and it is certainly holding its own and not looking miserable now. I really just hope that the beak will come right and it will be able to feed on its own.

Nothing can get at bird, don't worry... tis in my spare bedroom with door shut :) :)

Hope your little squeaker makes it..... poor wee birds.

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
You doing good and the beak will readjust itself I am sure and if not we can handle that later---I see you address now Belleville, ON....keep the birdie warm and do what you doing just make sure it drinks and feed it about three or four times a day --push its beak into a bowl of water often to keep it hydrated---good luck with your birdie and keep us posted especially if you need assistance....c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Just read the post again and I got the address wrong--you are in New Zealand and I new that but got the address mixed up with someone else..Do what your doing for you are doing good--keep us posted if you need help or futher questions...c.hert

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am finding this site very informative.. especially re holistic remedies which I really prefer to vets sometimes. I have phoned a few vets about my dove today.. they all say to euthanise the bird.. that the bird will never be able to feed for itself etc etc etc....
at present the bird is feeding when I feed it..... however, the haemotoma protruding from its eye does not seem to be diminishing with saline washing... anybody got a better idea?

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi GillyJ,

We have a member who moved to New Zealand last year who I still speak to on Skype. She is totally into Holistic remedies and had some amazing results without traditional meds.
I still consult her and am constantly trying to learn more about natural meds.

I'll email her to see if she can pop on sometime soon and see what advice she may be able to offer.

Keep in touch and I hope she can help you.

Her name is Maria, known on here as Taralotti.

I had a collared dove a while ago that had a bad puncture wound to it's head around the eye and they third eye had closed up. I used Colloidal Silver to bathe that and it certainly helped.

Janet

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
Bad signs to watch for: massive new bleeding out the eye: massage bleeding out the mouth: a rapid change to a hot temperature and its one good eye blinking a whole lot. Don't fool with anything hanging from the eye at this time and do what you are doing by feeding it and making sure it is hydrated at all times. I would try to get some mix seed down its beaks but do it really gentle by holding the sides and trying to open it and putting seed into it and I am looking at this from a nutritional stand and keep it warm. I sure hope Amyable contact in New Zealand get connected to you and you also could pm message a person on this pigeon-talk by the name of feefo and keeps us posted as you are doing---could you take a picture of the side view to get the whole image of that eye.
This would be of great use for the professional people to take a look at the situation here on pigeon-talk. c.hert

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
If you note any kind of major play in that beak---then back off--you could get corn meal and oatmeal and peas and whole wheat and dog food dry and any other type of seed you might have and grind it really fine in a coffee grinder and put water to it and feed it at the tip of the beak and make sure it takes enough of it--little by little--You could get that baby formula for baby pigeons and doves as well and do little by little and you could add some hard boiled egg but once you do this you cannot keep it that long and will have to make a new batch so I would mix the egg up and try to feed the whole pieces as they may get in size after hard boiling it and try to gently put into the mouth---the less you can fool with that mouth the better. Take your time and it might take you awhile to get any quanity down but you need to in order for it to maintain its nutrition and I sure hope some rehabilition people come on to this thread to give you encouragement and good advice. Do you happen to have pedalyte in your area--this is a baby electrolyte mixture and ask the pharmacist in your area and use the plain no sugary one -plain and give it as water its a little thicker and you might be able to hydrate the baby better with this...See if you can get a picture of that eye from the side view so people can see it..c.hert

1 - 20 of 41 Posts