Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
please help last year my husband was taking the ivy down from the front of our house and came across which we thought was a dead bird we then saw it moving.We put it into a cage and fed it egg food from the local pet shop,his feathers started to grow and found outhe was a pigeon. It took a few weeks learning to fly in the end he was off on top of the roof tops with the others we wondered if he would come back and to this day he still is,sometimes he goes away for 3-4 weeks and at a time sometimes he is here all the time as soon as he sees me he flys to me making very odd sounds sits on my head as to say well where tea? he wont go to anyone else and seems quite happy with the rest of the pigeons around here BUT we are moving about 70 miles away soon and don't know what to with him should we take him with us or leave him here I don't want to put him in a cage when we move to me he should be free to fly the skys of course quite happy to take him in cage to our new home but will he try to get back to where he was born maybe we should leave him here and guess he will soon forget me and live happily with his mates
please help
sally

·
Registered
64 Posts
if i were you i would take it with me and let it free there..it will find another pigeons there too...as long as you feed it the bird things you are a God:p

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If the bird goes away for 3-4 weeks at a time, probably he has a mate and is nesting somewhere. If this was an unattached bird, I would say, take him with you but I don't think it i and so I think you should leave him when you move.
Pigeons do mate for life and it would be a shame to separate him from his mate and perhaps even leave the mate with young ones to feed all on her own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks everyone still really don't know what do I do feel it would be best to take him if I can although now reading the last post maybe he does have a mate and should leave him
also he might be a she...how do you tell?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Hi Sallyjayne,
It is difficult to tell, and difficult to give advice. I would guess it is male as the sons are more attached to their mothers. :D
Ask yourself if this is your son, and he is grown, having a family would you take him with you and separate him from family, if decision is to be made?
If you take him with you, that means cage for months and stil no guarantee that he will stay if you let him out.
I would adopt another pigeon or pigeons in the new house and save another life.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
omg this is becoming such a difficult decision-people think I am mad! But what worries me is that if I do take him he will not find his way back to me at the new house also won't find his way back to our old house if that makes sense but then I worry that he will not understand where I am when he comes back looking for me -head tells me he is a pigeon and will still find food with all the others around here but my heart tells me that he is like a pet to me and I would not leave one of my dogs behind.
thanks everyone please continue with all your advise

·
Registered
240 Posts
I agree with what Charis said, if he/she disappears 3-weeks at a time this means he's pretty independent and has a life of his own, and who knows, maybe even a family. I can imagine it must be very hard for you, especially since you saved the little fellow!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I agree with some of the posts. I would leave it behind...it must have a flock that it stays with, so it has friends. It probably also has a mate...even if it is a male or a female. If it is a female...she could have young.

I wouldn't confuse her with the move, she has adapted to being feral even though you view her as a friend and companion. To take her/him with you would up root the bird from it knows as a normal life. It will move on and become feral once it is left, which could be a good thing, depending on how you view it.

If it never bonded to the flock or another pigeon, then it would have never adapted to being outside and surviving. I recommend you leave it there, and just remember it. Some pigeons are born to be pets and some are born to be free...and make huge, wonderful changes in our lifes and our views.

-Hilly

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
Hi sallyjayne,

Is this a feral pigeon? I may be completely wrong, I don't even know where you are, but the fact that it was found in ivy and makes a funny noise when it lands suggests to me that it is a collared dove. Is the noise a loud and rather triumphant "aaark!", or a co-cooo-coo? Does he have a ring on his neck?

I ask this because collared doves are not homing birds and dislike being in cages, although they can settle in a small aviary. Also they although they may gather together to feed they are not flock birds, settling usually for being single or in pairs, so he might find it difficult to integrate elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi,
I am in middlesex, england.
We do get a lot of pigeons around here and before we cut back the ivy we had alot of pigeons trying to nest in there when we did start to remove the ivy one of the pigeons went a bit crazy how we know why her baby pigeon was there. We did hope that mum would see her in the back garden and keep a eye on him but could not leave him as we knew the foxes would be around that night and in fact one night the fox did try to get him out of the cage so we used to put him into the shed where he was safe at night.
He make a rather quiet squeak sound mainly I think because he wants help to get onto the bird table he flys onto my head then can from there get onto the bird table even through there is bird food on the floor too.
Its interesting as I have not seen him since friday so he must go off somewhere-which I knew where.
I think I am going to leave him ,He sits quite happily with all the others and is not on his own but wonder now if I should stop letting him fly to me and make him eat from the floor with the others-I think he thinks he is the king!!!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Any way you look at it, That Pigeon is Not going to Forget you!
Where ever you go, Some day a Pigeon Will Land On Your Head, and It Will Be Your Friend! :)

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I feel its better to leave behind the pigeon. As suggested by other members, the frequency of the pigeon's visit is a strong indication of a mate, and if it has a mate then its some miles far, because if it was on the neighbours' roof top it would come to you every day :)

Since its now healthy, grown up and able to take care of himself, its better not to change the life pattern now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts