Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Pigeon Talk members!

First of all thank you for all the information. My baby pigeons and many before him have greatly benefitted. So, onto this baby pigeon:

I have recently moved to Oman (= no animal rescue facility). Some children found a fledgling (about 20 days) wandering in a museum and gave it to me for care. It appeared the pigeon has poxvirus quite badly (cutaneous form, not wet), notably some infected enormous warts on his anus, but also all under his stomach, wings, on his crop, eye, head and beak. There is a wart just at the entrance of his beak, which means even if he tries he struggles to pick seeds as his beak does not close. On top of this he got I think samonella infection, he suddenly started having totally clear runny droppings, I never knew there was so much liquid in a bird! He was totally soaked in a space of few hours. I treated with Baytril and iodine on the pox lesions, plus hand feed him home made pigeon food enriched with vitamines and omega 3. He is doing better, normal droppings, warts from the pox have dried, flapping wings and perching up, goes to drink on his own but a bit skinny still (I have had him 1 week). He still has the wart in his beak, and not feeding on his own, although he does try.

I keep him in a room in a little house in the garden (with the supposed salmonella I cannot risk keeping him with us as I have a small baby), there is a window opened with mosquito screen so he can interact with the other birds outside. I also have a smallish outdoor pigeon cage (about 1m2) that I plan to put him in when he fully recovers and can eat on his own.

My problem:

This cannot be a life-long pet bird, as we are not planning to stay in the country for more than 1 year. I need to release him, and have been handling him only for food and treatment, so he is not very attached to me (he is not scared but he won't really come to me by himself, plus I had him when he was already quite big). In Oman there are few wild pigeons, I don't know of any flock around here. In addition, in the summer the temperature raises to 50 degrees celcius, and water may not be so easy to access if he doesn't know where to look. There are however many stray cats and dogs.
I think it would be quite risky to do a soft release from my house as there are stray cats right here on the prowl (not to mention my own cat who loves pigeons:()
I have thought to purchase a couple of pigeons that are destined for food, and keep them together with mine so that they could all go together to find a flock, is that a crazy idea? Otherwise I could look for someone to keep my pigeon as a caged bird, but it is really not my favourite option...

Other question: what age is appropriate to release a pigeon?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
11,336 Posts
He might be a bit young to release to fend for himself. This link explains how they keave the nest and their parents, I got the information from a book written after observation of feral pigeons and their nests in Bratislava.

http://www.pigeonrescue.co.uk/theferalpigeon.htm

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the answer and the link. I gather from it i should keep him unril 50 days more or less, which is totally fine.

What do you think of my idea to buy a couple of adult pigeons to keep and release with him? Here they sell pigeons for human consumption.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh this is not looking good today. Pigeon is not digesting anything! He threw up all the seeds and peas from yesterday and is having green watery poo... he has been on baytril for 3 days now, at the end of the first day he was much better and making normal droppings... help?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
How much Baytril are you giving him, and how often? It could be the Baytril that is making him vomit, or could also be he has canker as well, which is possible, as the occurrence of canker comes about when pigeons are stressed. Food should be given before giving the Baytril, And a couple of drops of Pepto Bismul, 30 minutes before feeding helps to stop the vomiting. But don't know what you have there that would be like Pepto.

Also, he should be fed only after the crop has emptied.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
You have 2 different posts going at once on this bird. That gets too confusing. Try to keep it to one post so people aren't repeating info in both posts.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I had taken care of a juvenile with pox, and when I got him, he had heavily runny greenish poop...I don't know if it was because of pox or secondary bacterial infection, but as the pox lesions dried off, the poop became better.
The vomiting may be due to the bitter taste of baytril. Give the baytril early in the morning, then give food three hours later. You can also treat with metronidazole for canker. Canker sometimes causes crop issues and leads to vomiting.
Metronidazole can also cause vomiting in some birds, so that too can be given on an empty stomach. You can give the metro and baytril together.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry i did move my question to the sick pigeon section because i realised that release was not the main problem right now... thank you for your answers i will give updates on the other thread only from now on.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I had taken care of a juvenile with pox, and when I got him, he had heavily runny greenish poop...I don't know if it was because of pox or secondary bacterial infection, but as the pox lesions dried off, the poop became better.
The vomiting may be due to the bitter taste of baytril. Give the baytril early in the morning, then give food three hours later. You can also treat with metronidazole for canker. Canker sometimes causes crop issues and leads to vomiting.
Metronidazole can also cause vomiting in some birds, so that too can be given on an empty stomach. You can give the metro and baytril together.

Actually, giving the Baytril on an empty stomach will usually cause the bird to vomit more. Feeding first, is better, as it puts something in there before the med. Even with people, if the drug causes vomiting, then you take it with food.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is useful, yesterday i gave baytril alone and the bord vomited. Today i gave with food, for now ir has not vomited.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Good job!..............

1 - 11 of 11 Posts