Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'd like to ask for some advice about a pigeon I came across yesterday.

I was walking past a church in inner Melbourne when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I did a double take - it was a big, pure white, well-feathered & unbanded pigeon under the eaves of the church. S/he looked liked she had returned home and was waiting outside.

Long story short, I knocked on the door of the presbytery and enquired of the gentleman who opened the door, whether or not the white pigeon lived there?
Apparently the pigeon has been hanging around the presbytery after being evicted from the church. The theory is that pidgy was one of a group released at a recent wedding at the church.
Pidgy doesn't look like a feral and seems comfortable around humans, although he won't let me get too near him. He appears able-bodied and can fly.

I was asked if I know much about pigeons, in order to help solve the issue of what to do with pidgy, if anything.
Unfortunately I don't know what to do in this case. I have some rescue pidgies of my own, but as I'm staying in temporary accomodation I can't take on any more.

Of course, maybe pidgy can just be left alone to eventually join the local ferals.
Also, the church is considering contacting the bride and groom to obtain the details of the pigeon providers for that wedding.

My concern is that pidgy may not fare well as a feral, or that the wedding pigeon breeders (if they can be contacted) may not be especially glad to see him given that he didn't do his 'job' of returning to the home loft.

I was wondering what the forum members think, or if there is anyone who lives nearby who might be interested to rescue a beautiful white pigeon.

Thank-you,
Bronnie

·
Registered
13,048 Posts
That's a great idea for the church to contact the bride and groom to find out who they used as a dove release. I can't understand why they haven't done it sooner.
The bird may take up with ferals and survive but it likely will be a merger existence if he does. With all the poisoning of feral Pigeons in Australia, this one may not live long at all.
Please follow up on this and let us know what happens.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.