Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
could you please advise...
I have had a flightless pigeon (penny) for a couple of years, I keep her in my indoor aviary, where she has paired up....I have let them hatch 1 egg, The chick is 4 days old and seems to be doing well, Today however penny and her mate have been busy building another nest (about 2 feet away from the chick) Penny has sat on it all morning, the mate has been hanging with the other birds in the aviary. At about 1 o,clock I decided to take away the new nest, Penny went straight back to the chick. At 5o,clock they had built another, the chick was alone and Penny was on her new nest. I don't know if I did the right thing but I took away the nest again. She went straight back to the chick and sat on her.
I am worried that she is going to neglect her chick, What should I do?
many thanks
Jayne

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
Hi Jayne,

Sorry I'm not able to offer you any advice on this but hopefully someone will be able to soon. Just wanted to get this back up to the top in case it gets missed.

I'm intrigued to hear how this turns out though! :confused:

All the best.

Janet

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Well, I don't know how to correct this problem, but at four days of age, the baby is too young to be left unattended by the parents. Perhaps segregating the parents and the baby in a separate cage/enclosure with no nesting material would do the trick ??? Don't know. Hopefully some of our members will know better how to deal with this. Good luck, and please keep us posted.

Terry

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
I'm not sure either except keep taking away the new nest. My Satinettes actually did the same thing, twice, except they at least waiting until the baby was 7 days old. It was the dead of winter too, so I wound up bringing the babies inside to raise. I don't know that I would move the baby and the nest, but if you can set a cage or something over it..........wow, I really don't know either. If you can convince her to stay for a few more days and if the weather is warm there? they might still feed it but just not set on it all the time.
Just keep an eye out and get the syringe ready.....sounds like you may become a pigeon mom pretty soon. ;)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for your advice, I do have another really good mum who is presently sitting plastic eggs, would she know if I put the chick into the nest and removed an egg??...........would she 'foster' it
Jayne

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
Thank you all for your advice, I do have another really good mum who is presently sitting plastic eggs, would she know if I put the chick into the nest and removed an egg??...........would she 'foster' it
Jayne
It will depend upon how long the foster Mom has been sitting on her fake eggs. If she has just started the "incubation", then she won't have any crop milk to feed the baby with. On the other hand, if she's been sitting long enough for her eggs to have hatched if they were real, it just might work.

Terry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
HI Thanks for that, I will watch her very closely today, if mum doesn't tow the line, I will try the fostering approach, The mum I have in mind has been sitting plastic eggs for about 10 days now. She is a doting mum. If not then I will bring bad mum and dad and chick inside so I can watch her constantly. Failing that I am going to need a crash course in chick parenting....like what do I feed it on and how...and where do I get it on a Sunday?.....OH HELP

·
Registered
21,207 Posts
HI Thanks for that, I will watch her very closely today, if mum doesn't tow the line, I will try the fostering approach, The mum I have in mind has been sitting plastic eggs for about 10 days now. She is a doting mum. If not then I will bring bad mum and dad and chick inside so I can watch her constantly. Failing that I am going to need a crash course in chick parenting....like what do I feed it on and how...and where do I get it on a Sunday?.....OH HELP
Well, our UK members will be better at telling you what is available and where to get it with regard to feeding the baby if it comes to that. I'm sure Cynthia (cyro51) has a number of threads here that detail products that are readily available, and she and others also have terrific videos showing easy and safe ways to feed a baby. I'll see if I can find some of those links for you in just a few minutes.

Off the top of my head, human baby cereal can be used (the powder/flake type you mix with warm water), chick crumbles that have been mixed with water and blenderized, and something that I think is called Ready-Brek or something like that .. :eek: Of course, Kaytee Exact if you have it in your local pet stores.

In addition to food and a method of feeding the baby, you would also need a way to keep it nice and toasty warm.

Terry

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Terry, thank you so much for the time you have taken to help me.
I have been out and checked the chick and sure enough mum and dad were building yet another nest, so I picked the chick up, and stuck it under Flora's bum, first removing her plastic eggs. She gave it a quick once- over, snuggled it in and within 5 minutes was feeding it (I assume she was as it had its head in her mouth and she was doing a kind of vomiting action....does this mean she is able to feed it?) Her partner is watching lovingly from his roost just next to her, and their own chicks (about 12 weeks old ) are sitting on the side of her box watching. They all seem very pleased with their new addition.....How do I know if it is getting enough food? oh and also, the bad parents are busy building another nest!.no more chicks for them!! (I feel like social services of the pigeon world!)
Thanks again
Jayne

·
Registered
15,536 Posts
Hi Terry, thank you so much for the time you have taken to help me.
I have been out and checked the chick and sure enough mum and dad were building yet another nest, so I picked the chick up, and stuck it under Flora's bum, first removing her plastic eggs. She gave it a quick once- over, snuggled it in and within 5 minutes was feeding it (I assume she was as it had its head in her mouth and she was doing a kind of vomiting action....does this mean she is able to feed it?) Her partner is watching lovingly from his roost just next to her, and their own chicks (about 12 weeks old ) are sitting on the side of her box watching. They all seem very pleased with their new addition.....How do I know if it is getting enough food? oh and also, the bad parents are busy building another nest!.no more chicks for them!! (I feel like social services of the pigeon world!)
Thanks again
Jayne

Morning Jayne.............I once moved some eggs to a pair that had only been sitting on dummies for 11 days and they did just fine. If I remember, they only raised one baby for me, and everything turned out good. What I would do is watch her and the next time she feeds the baby, pull it out and check it's crop to make SURE that it's getting fed and she's not just going through the motions. If she IS feeding the baby, you should be fine.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Renee, thank you,
That has answered a big question, foster dad is on her at the minute, I will check later..and post
Thanks again
Jayne

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi again,
checked chick, foster parents seem to be doing a fantastic job, the chic seems fine, from what I can see it is good and active and feeding well.
thanks again
Jayne

1 - 16 of 16 Posts