Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sad day for me today as 5 days ago I noticed a sick pigeon in the garden visiting with the small feral flock that comes daily. Usual signs all is not well i.e. puffed up, lethargic and not flying off each day. The pigeon also found refuge in an open window in one of my spare bedrooms which it would stay in during the day if it rained (it does a lot here in the UK despite being summer!). It also stayed overnight occasionally and I noticed very runny green/yellow poo. I left the window open so that it could come and go and I eventually was able to catch it. The pigeon was emaciated (breast bone sticking out) and the clear, runny droppings progressed to sticky, dark green droppings. She would not drink and seemed only to be able to eat a few seeds at a time. I put her in a cat carrier covered on 3 sides, put her on a covered hot water bottle and tried to rehydrate her by dipping her beak into a hydration mixture of salt, honey & water a few times a day. She would sip sometimes but would not eat or drink on her own. I also made up a kaytee mixture and she in the 5 days had a few drinks of this but not long, good drinks just sips. I thought things were picking up yesterday when she starting pecking at the seeds on her own and ate a small amount of bread crumbs. I continued to give her a hot water bottle and place to move off is he wanted to. This morning she was perched on a little platform I made and seemed less puffed up. As per the daily routine of a few times a day, I took her out of the cage, wrapped in a small warmed towel so that I could hold her to give her the kaytee drops into her mouth. Before I could do this she stuck her neck out, started gurgling and blood spurted from her mouth and she basically suffocated and died. I am devastated and wonder if there is something that I did that caused the bleeding. It was so sudden and I am so sad as I did think she was improving. I am torn up because I am wondering if I did something to cause this bleeding or her sudden death. It really was sudden and totally unexpected. So sad :(

PS I have previously and successfully nursed two other pigeons both for over 7 months each back to health. The one still visits today 2 years later!

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
The poor thing was sick and needed medication. If sick, then keeping it warm and not getting food and medicine into her isn't going to do any good. The dark green droppings were from starvation. Food was important to get into her. Wish you had come on sooner.
It could have been something easily treated, like canker, worms, cocci.........................

1 - 6 of 6 Posts