Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. i dont remember if it was on this message board, but I once saw that someone posted pics of baby pigeons at different ages (several days, weeks, months).

I found a baby pij outside (with one leg!) and I think it is about 5 weeks old, but a pic to compare it to would help a lot.

thanks!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! I thought he had one leg, that they other leg was a stump, but it was just that he was tucking his leg so far inside and in such an odd way. It's ok, he has 2 good legs, and he appears to be about 23 days old! He was starving, but he is eating like a champ now. He's going to be a happy and healthy little pij! :)

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
That's wonderful. Have you hand fed before? If not we can give you some important tips to help them stay alive and healthy. Baby pigeons can go downhill very fast if they don't have just the right care. Of course keep him warm (heating pad on low with a towel is great), use thick towels or layers of paper towels in his box/cage to prevent splay leg. A specialized baby bird formula should be used for feeding, and you can add 1/4 teaspoon of (organic) plain yogurt to help with digestion once a day, just add to the baby mix. Feed until crop is full but not stuffed, and don't feed until the crop has gone down flat again. At this age you can even start feeding seeds, just use your finger to "peck" at the seeds and he will start to pick it up, though it will take at least a few days for him to get it. You can give him defrosted frozen peas and/or corn, 100 of either a day broken up into three or four feedings (25-30 at a time). You can easily pop these into his beak and he will swallow if you're having trouble with the baby bird formula (he may be too old to get into that). Keep us posted and please ask any questions you think of.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.