Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the site because i'm a new trainer, but I think I'm allergic to pigeons :confused: Is this possible? I'm breaking out in hives severly and I don't think i'm allergic to anything else besides motrin. If i'm allergic to these birds that I really want to train.. This is really going to suck. -_-

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I know of lung problems from long term exposure to pigeons, Some I think get allergies sooner than others but its from the dust, I have not heard of the skin side of things, Is it possible its from the wheat?, nesting materials or something else in the loft? That would be easy to test.

In saying all this, I was allergic to horses, But my love for them was stronger and I found within about a month ( way back when I was 8 yrs old ) of being exposed daily I built a resistance and showed no signs, With working fulltime I had no time for my horses, Sold them and now days If I am around a horse the allergies flare up again.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
New to the site because i'm a new trainer, but I think I'm allergic to pigeons :confused: Is this possible? I'm breaking out in hives severly and I don't think i'm allergic to anything else besides motrin. If i'm allergic to these birds that I really want to train.. This is really going to suck. -_-
I would talk to your doctor about it , maybe they can pinpoint what it may be before getting rid of the birds, but yes people are allergic to all kinds of things, sometimes developing later in life.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I am allergic to feathers and there dander. Use a face mask and wash real well after being with them. Stinks you cant use allergy medicine because that really helps me. I agree a dr might to help you out. I also developed these allergies late in life but it seems the are under control and subsiding somewhat as I get older

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
You say you are breaking out in hives...could be you are being bitten by some of the mites or lice that can live on pigeons. Many are very difficult to see because they are not much larger that the size of a pin head. When they bite me, I get hive like things fro the bite. Try dusting your pigeons, with poultry dust and see if that helps.
I use a powder puff, that Jay3 sent me. It works great. I start at the vent area and work my way up the chest and under the wings, re-dipping the puff as needed. Put a white cloth or towel under the bird as you dust and if the bird as bugs, they will fall off and you will see them then.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
You say you are breaking out in hives...could be you are being bitten by some of the mites or lice that can live on pigeons. Many are very difficult to see because they are not much larger that the size of a pin head. When they bite me, I get hive like things fro the bite. Try dusting your pigeons, with poultry dust and see if that helps.
I use a powder puff, that Jay3 sent me. It works great. I start at the vent area and work my way up the chest and under the wings, re-dipping the puff as needed. Put a white cloth or towel under the bird as you dust and if the bird as bugs, they will fall off and you will see them then.
I am inclined to agree with this scenareo.....I've read in other threads where others won't entertain this idea , but I know different .

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the reply guys. I just went to the doctors and they said there's a lot of possibilities to why I broke out in hives. Might be something I ate., working out (which I started doing again), or it might really be the birds. I also read that it could be pigeon droppings from not washing your hands thoroughly. Kinda disgusting, but could be that. I don't know i'm going to take an allergy test soon to see what i'm allergic to. If it's not the birds I'd be happy as hell and keep going. But for now I have to stay away from them for a bit and have my brother and pops take care of them.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
Just try dusting them. Look for a dust called Sevin in the garden store. It's only about 10 bucks and it will last a good long time.

·
Registered
47 Posts
i'm not allergic to pigeon dust but I wear a surgical face mask every time i'm with my pigeon/loft. And, especially when cleaning the loft.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Im glad you did the testing to find out. so what are you allergic too?:)
I started breaking out because I started working out again. The doc told me that happens to some people. I never stopped caring for my pigeons even though I thought I was allergic to them. haha

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
I have allergies, but don't have a problem with the dust. I have a BIG problem with the 'tiny tiny feathers' that float around in the air. Don't know what you call them, but they are very small feathers (almost microscopic) that float around. If I inhale them, I have trouble breathing. I have to wear a surgical mask when I go into the loft.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts