Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recieved this email a few days ago.

"Hello Brian, I was given your contact information by the AU. I have a pigeon in my care that is clearly a racing pigeon, however, I know little more information. The bird was surrendered the the animal hospital I manage in Gainesville, FL, by someone who had found him disoriented in her neighborhood. I have attempted to contact the owner, who I believe was from Sanford, but I was told he is deceased. My question to you is, would you be willing to take on another pigeon? I honestly have zero knowledge of bird care, and I really would like him/her (I don't even know how to sex the bird) have a great home. Any information or response would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time."

--
Shazara J. Mulchan
Westside Animal Hospital
Practice Manager

So we finally met up today to pick up the bird. Let me tell ya, I dont know what the bird looked like when she got it, but for a clinic who doesnt really deal with pigeons to often, this bird was in great form. Upon taking a chance on the AU Data Base, this is what we found out about our new arrival:

He is a Multiple Diploma Winner, placing: 2nd/128 mi, 10th/128 mi, 8th/266 mi, 3rd/316 mi, and 6th/316 mi, '08 YB's. He also placed 3rd/316 mi, 7th/492 mi, 3rd/492 mi, 16th/229 mi,and 8th/266 mi, '09 Yearlings!

Now its not everyday you rescue a bird like this!!! I dont have to tell you what section of the loft he's goin in....LOL.....Stock Perhaps???? LOL....

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Lucky for you. Thank you for taking the bird BEFORE you found out it's race record. One of my best breeders is a "stray"...........;)
However, SHAME on the club that it came from for not taking responsibility for a bird that belonged to one of their members that died, if in fact, that's what happened. They should be reported as far as I'm concerned.:mad:

· Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I thought the same. When I think about it, I probably take in 5-8 strays a year due to no owner contact or they simply dont want them back. This is the first time however, that I was rewarded with a diploma bird. LOL The couple that comes to cut my grass has a son about 13 who is always asking and wanting to see my birds. Ive talked to his parents who seem interested in getting some for him and I would be pleased to get him started with some from my loft. The ones that stay, become my step-sons breeders and between him and my daughter (we have 4 kids combined) they have almost as many as me...LOL

· Registered
15,608 Posts
Well, kudos to you. We need more people like you, but if we had LESS people like the uncaring owners, then we wouldn't NEED more like you.
People who don't retrieve their birds is a VERY sore spot with me. I'll shut up now.
The bird is lucky is all I can say.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Timber, Its really nice of you to take this pigeon in and now we know he will have a great forever home. If the owners club would have take it back, its future probably wouldn't be as good as your going to give him so the pigeon is very lucky. You know Reti has about 40 pigeons she needs to find homes for because of the wildlife center is being shut down. You by chance can't take in 40 more birds can you??? lol I know you would if you could. min

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.