Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a very very very dominate male pigeon, he was the offspring of my female domesticated pigeon, once he grew they became a couple.

My doubt is, I have been substituting the eggs with fake ones, I keep them there for about 2 weeks and the 2 of them take turns sitting on them. When I take them away, they quickly have another 2 eggs....the male picks at my female all the time, chasing her back to the nest, seems as though he is really forcing her to lay eggs.

He is super aggressive but I am afraid because I won't let the eggs hatch, I abort them beforehand, that he will become relentless or more aggressive towards her in time.....

Should I let one of the eggs hatch? Or will he eventually leave her bc she doesn't have babies? lol :cool: he seems super frustrated with her.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
25,396 Posts
PLEASE do not remove the fake eggs. Let them continue to brood on them until they grow tired of them. If she keeps laying she will deplete her calcium reserves and eventually could cause infections and/or other issues. Make sure she has supplemental calcium.

How old is the male pigeon? As far as the male goes, does he continue to pick at her when they are laying brooding on dummy eggs, does he take his turn brooding them? It sounds like he needs time away from hen or to find something else to occupy his time. Do the birds have a large cage and do they have access to outdoor flight within a predator proof coop? Not sure if anything will change if they actually hatch a baby, and if they are mother/son that might cause inbreeding issues-not certain, so I would get a fertile egg from a pigeon fancier.

As long as any fertile egg/s are removed before brooding there is no life within, no aborting. If you remove real eggs for fakes, please do so before brooding commences.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for replying "skyeking"

They have a massive garage as their home just for them...

Outdoor garden and rooftop.
I have calcium blocks they eat all the time.

I was more concerned he would become super frustrated ...emotionally too...not having a baby.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Two birds aren't safe flying outside. Safer in a flock.
As was said by Sky, you don't remove the fake eggs. They will sit on them for the 18 days or so required to hatch real eggs. By taking them, you are making them lay sooner.
Some males are more aggressive than others. They can be a real pain. But if you let them hatch an egg, you will then need to find a mate for the young one once it grows up, or you will have problems. Better to keep all mated pairs and no singles. It would also be better to build an aviary outside the window, where they can go outside and enjoy the sun and fresh air, and bathe. They would be mach safer. Sometimes partners will split up if no hatches. Is 2 birds all you want to keep? What are these calcium blocks?

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Its not like that he is frustrated at her for not having babies. Almost all cock birds do chase and pick on their hens when they're mating and ready to lay. But some are more aggressive than others. Its comes natural to cocks to chase their hens so that other cocks don't mount their respective hens.
Keeping fake eggs until they abandon them on their own like advised would be a good option. Or you can physically restraint the cock bird by handcuffing its feet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had my female pigeon for 3 years and we finally let her mate once and she had 2 males, one she ended up pairing with. Both take turns in the nest with the eggs, they have tons of flying space, the free range of our massive house, a guest house just for them. The have a good life but what my concern was about the frequency of the female laying eggs and the male getting frustrated that nothing hatches bc we keep taking the newly laid eggs and substituting them with the fake ones.

Thanks for the feedback people :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
What happened to the original male?
You said you take the fake eggs away after just a couple of weeks. That will cause her to have more eggs, than if you just leave them there until they stop sitting on them.
Some males are more aggressive than others. That is what they do. When eggs don't hatch, after 18 days or so, they lay more. Even if they did hatch, about 2 or 3 weeks later the female will often lay again and sit on the eggs, while the male finishes raising them.

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
I have had my female pigeon for 3 years and we finally let her mate once and she had 2 males, one she ended up pairing with. Both take turns in the nest with the eggs, they have tons of flying space, the free range of our massive house, a guest house just for them. The have a good life but what my concern was about the frequency of the female laying eggs and the male getting frustrated that nothing hatches bc we keep taking the newly laid eggs and substituting them with the fake ones.

Thanks for the feedback people :D
I understand where you're coming from. You're worried about your hen's health. Don't worry so much, give her supplementary calcium with vitamin D3 and she will be fine. You're already giving her calcium blocks which is good. She may automatically stop laying or may lay less oftenly in moulting season and winters when days get shorter.

Raising young is far more stressful on pigeons then just laying eggs especially on hens. Some of my cocks will start to harrass their hens and chase-mount them when the young are only 15 days old. Then the hens lay before the young are even weaned. What if your cock made your hen lay again when the young are still in the nest,since he's so aggressive. Your hen's body will be already exhausted when she will have endure the stress of laying again. So I think its better if your hen lays and sits dummy eggs. Atleast that way she will get rest for 18-22 days and replenish her body when sitting dummies. Yes I do agree that letting them raise a clutch once in a while doesn't hurt but if you don't want more pigeons then what's the point?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
best advice

Hi Jass, thanks so much, your advise was the best I heard so far, I felt like nobody ready actually read what I wrote. I appreciate your feedback, my hens health was exactly what I was concerned about. Cheers ;)

·
Banned
569 Posts
Hi,

I have a very very very dominate male pigeon, he was the offspring of my female domesticated pigeon, once he grew they became a couple.

My doubt is, I have been substituting the eggs with fake ones, I keep them there for about 2 weeks and the 2 of them take turns sitting on them. When I take them away, they quickly have another 2 eggs....the male picks at my female all the time, chasing her back to the nest, seems as though he is really forcing her to lay eggs.

He is super aggressive but I am afraid because I won't let the eggs hatch, I abort them beforehand, that he will become relentless or more aggressive towards her in time.....

Should I let one of the eggs hatch? Or will he eventually leave her bc she doesn't have babies? lol :cool: he seems super frustrated with her.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

What you are seeing is normal pigeon behavior. The younger cock birds can be ESP aggressive. He needs to mature and mellow out with time. If raising young does this I do not know, but when those are weaned he would go back to forcing her to the nest, even biting behind the neck and relentless it seems. If you are worried for your hen then you can separate them for a few months to give her a break.

Also if you can provide diversions like maybe bath pans they will go to it and give her a break while they bath and then usually they like to sit and preen afterward. Giving some chopped greens in a shallow pan can get his attention too.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.