Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea what I can feed a squab of 2-3 weeks?

I used to feed them with moisted bread and I will do the same (also some boiled peas) but maybe someone has a better idea.

Or maybe he is big enough for seeds? This is him:

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
He is starving, squaking continously for food. I gave him bread and peas but apparently are not consistent enough (the crop emptied fastly)so giving him seeds would help, but I'm not sure if he is able to digest hard food.

He has some serious disease, maybe salmonella considering the aspect of droppings:

which look similar with the photo from Chevita page:
http://www.chevita.com/en/pigeons/treatment-plan/digestivetract-salmonellosis.php

He also has a canker nodule or ingested object in crop (is felt through skin) so I gave him a Lincospectin injection and metronidazole.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
He looks old enough to be eating seeds. I won't give bread to a young bird, only peas. Leave some peas in a little bowl and mix some seeds in, he will try eating by himself.

If he's always hungry, he can't be that sick?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Emergency Pls give solution.

I have lose many pigeon in one month due to diseases the symptoms was wait losses in three days and his head is get shaking i don't no how to treat them and what medicine want to give and to avoid diseases to other birds i am in India pls help to save birds i dont no what to do pls if u know send me treatment method to my id [email protected] help to save birds and me.

thanks&regards
k.nagaraj
+919942462600

·
Registered
29,795 Posts
I would give the defrosted peas, which are soft. Then leave some for him to pick up. They often learn quickly with defrosted peas, after being hand fed with them, because they are soft and easy to pick up. Then, as suggested, you could also leave some seed. He is old enough for solid food.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think giving bread was not a good idea, vomited some piece and in crop seems to get a little compacted. I will give only peas and if things don't turn bad, seeds after 2-3 days.

Other problem is that I have read many times that you have to wait the crop to get empty before feeding. His crop is not yet empty and he is crying for food. I saw that when a baby is feeded by his parents, they don't wait the crop to empty, the crop is always full.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think giving bread was not a good idea, vomited some piece and in crop seems to get a little compacted. I will give only peas and if things don't turn bad, seeds after 2-3 days.

Other problem is that I have read many times that you have to wait the crop to get empty before feeding. His crop is not yet empty and he is crying for food. I saw that when a baby is feeded by his parents, they don't wait the crop to empty, the crop is always full.
Don't give peas in a crop compacted with bread.

Wash out the crop first - someone else will have to give you the ratios because I have never done it myself - but people have suggested apple sauce in water in the crop, and a massage to dislodge the food

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I have lose many pigeon in one month due to diseases the symptoms was wait losses in three days and his head is get shaking i don't no how to treat them and what medicine want to give and to avoid diseases to other birds i am in India pls help to save birds i dont no what to do pls if u know send me treatment method to my id [email protected] help to save birds and me.

thanks&regards
k.nagaraj
+919942462600
You need to start your own thread.

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

You do need to wait for the crop to empty before adding more food. The reason being, adding new food to old food can cause a bacterial infection and or sour crop.
You don't need to flush the crop.To get the crop moving, give the baby some warmed applesauce...the kind with no sugar. Gently massage the crop to help get things moving.The applesauce will change the ph balance in the crop which is also helpful if canker is also an issue.
In addition, as the bird has canker, start him on metronidazole. it needs to be a dose that is appropriate to his weight. If the dose is too small, it won't help.
I agree...don't feed bread. It has not a bit of nutritional value.

I'm giving you pre-written feeding instructions. They work if you follow them.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Don't cook them. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. With babies that have been hand raised, this won't be necessary. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 30-40 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own. I buy the petite variety of peas.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.
In addition, you will need to sprinkle a pinch of powdered oyster shell on the peas one time a day for calcium.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't give peas in a crop compacted with bread.

Wash out the crop first - someone else will have to give you the ratios because I have never done it myself - but people have suggested apple sauce in water in the crop, and a massage to dislodge the food
Over night, the crop emptied, both bread and peas.

Today early in the morning I gave him peeled wheat and again peas - some 10 ml (I boiled, then peeled the peas and made them a paste, than used a syringe with tube). Some hours later, it seems the digestion goes well, by the volume of droppings and of the crop.

He has (at least) two canker nodules in crop, one in the upper part and one in the lower part, which apparently don't obstruct (yet) the passing of food.
You do need to wait for the crop to empty before adding more food. The reason being, adding new food to old food can cause a bacterial infection and or sour crop.
You don't need to flush the crop.To get the crop moving, give the baby some warmed applesauce...the kind with no sugar. Gently massage the crop to help get things moving.The applesauce will change the ph balance in the crop which is also helpful if canker is also an issue.
In addition, as the bird has canker, start him on metronidazole. it needs to be a dose that is appropriate to his weight. If the dose is too small, it won't help.
I agree...don't feed bread. It has not a bit of nutritional value.

I'm giving you pre-written feeding instructions. They work if you follow them.

You can hand feed defrosted corn and peas. Run some hot water over them until they are defrosted and slightly warmed. Don't cook them. Put the bird on your lap and hold it next to your body. If it helps, you can wrap a towel around it or put it in the sleeve of a tee shirt, with the head out the wrist. That confines them without hurting them and makes it easier to handle. With babies that have been hand raised, this won't be necessary. Gently open the beak and pop the piece of corn and peas at the back of the mouth and over the throat. You will need to feed 30-40 per feeding and every time the bird’s crop empties until you know it is eating on their own. I buy the petite variety of peas.
This is a wonderful method for teaching babies to eat because they feel the whole food in their mouth and it’s soft and easy to pick up and hang on to. The next step… seeds.
The crop is located right below the throat and with food it fills up like a little balloon. The peas and corn make it lumpy and squishy.
In addition, you will need to sprinkle a pinch of powdered oyster shell on the peas one time a day for calcium.
I will keep in mind that with the apple sauce (is the first time I learn it has influence on ph). I already started giving him metronidazole, around 50 mg / day.

I boiled the peas and made them a paste to be sure they are well digested. Is something wrong with this? I know that by boiling they lose much nutritional value, yet I afraid to give such big things like pea grains, which may not pass from crop into gissard.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
You don't need the mash up the peas, rather give them whole. They are soft and easy to swallow. When I first read about this, I was not convinced. But then I gave it a try, and it worked wonderfull! He will start eating them by himself within about 2 days and then it will be easier for him to start eating seeds by himself.

The peas go thru the system fairly quick and the poo will resemble the colour of the peas, but that's normal.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Three days later, digestion works normally but the bird became very dizzy and wobbling. The droppings looks sometimes normal, only the urates being too yellowish but sometimes the urates are very yellowish, like the white part received a yellow liquid. Sometimes the urates are yellow and brown, almost reddish brown.

I gave him some 35 mg of metronidazole, could this been an overdose and caused this?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can a pigeon have canker nodules in crop and the mouth not to smell at all?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts