Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I found a baby dove last friday all alone, it's been storming like crazy here and the nest most likely got destroyec (i searched everywhere) so i've been taking care of it.

I've been doing tons of research on what i could feed it, i started with dog food since that's all i had mixed with water and now i'm feeding it oatmeal mixed with water and a raw egg. But i've been told pigeons/doves can't digest the oatmeal well? So i'm looking for alternatives, also i can't get the kaytee formula since i'm not from the us and i haven't found anything like it online. I found a recipe that might be good but i'm not sure: gram flour, wheat flour and cerelac (i would also add the egg for extra protein but idk)

Here are some pics of the baby! it's very cute and active so far, i wanna make sure it has a good diet
Bird Beak Feather Natural material Terrestrial animal
Bird Beak Feather Tail Fur

·
Registered
6,715 Posts
Are you feeding him with the cut-off syringe method where he sticks his beak inside to eat? If so, you can make a blend of the following: small seeds and defrosted green peas (remove the skins before blending). Make this blend the consistency of tomato ketchup. To this you can add a little bit of human baby applesauce (once a day) to help with digestion.

Can you post a photo of his droppings? There should be plenty inbetween feedings then you know food is getting digested. The crop should empty completely overnight.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts