Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Boy, oh boy...it has been a soap opera here the past several days !!! A rehabbed feral who I released back in August (this thread here: http://www.pigeons.biz/forums/f6/we-have-a-situation-here-38041.html) took up residence in the eaves of the porch of my apt. building...also found himself a nice sweetheart and was having life go pretty darn well for himself over the past 6 months.....I see and feed Chroma on a regular basis along with the rest of the neighborhood regulars, and I always say g'night to him and Girlfriend as their favorite roosting spots are outside my front window and also my front porch (they alternate depending on the weather).

Noticed that he was hanging around the house vicinity more often the past couple of weeks. Also was noticing his droppings had loosened up and were becoming very messy. Sorta milky-green with a lotta fluid. But he still seemed spry and happy. Then about a week ago I saw that he was starting to fluff up during the day, and wouldn't go out as often with the rest of the flock. Couldn't be sure it wasn't the weather though, becaus eit has been a very, very wet and (relatively) cold winter here in SF.

But things sorta blew apart starting about Saturday. he really wasn't flying much at all, and when he was here he'd just stay in one place. next, other birds started bullying him off of roofs and such (THIS was unusual as he was pretty good at throwing his weight around and standing his ground).

So....I tried to add some meds to his daily feedings. This had worked once before, after his release. But this time around..dammit....he'd eat the unmedicated stuff but spit out anything with meds on it ! I tried this for 2 days and he just wouldn't consume any medicated food.

Then on super bowl Sunday (was that awesome, or what ?!!!) I saw that he didn't snuggle up for the night with Girlfriend. She went to one eave, and he didn't follow (which he customarily does). While I was eating dinner I heard something on the porch and noticed that he had actually almost fallen off of his sleeping spot (it's a beam under the roof). THAT was very uncharacteristic.

So I hatched my plan. Borrowed a huge catch net from member Elizabethy (thanks, you're a champ !) and figured I'd nab him at night on the porch. So (of course) first night comes along....and Girlfriend (rather than scooting off to the customary resting place) decides to spend the night near him on the porch. Ugh...it was sweet, really....because she had really been looking out for him while he was growing ill....BUT, dammit....she could also be his sentry at night !

So, I let Monday night pass....figuring I could have another go at it last night. But he had had a VERY baaaaaad Tuesday...there were times where I figured for sure I wouldn't see him again, ever. He was hiding in unusual, hard-to-see spots on the roofs of the surrounding buildings; just to avoid being bugged by other ferals. The weather didn't help...windy, cold, rainy. But he made it back to the porch at the end of the afternoon !

So last night they were both there. But this time I figured, even with Girlfriend as the sentry....his reactions would be slow and I could get him. My plan was to do it in the middle of the night.

I went to bed at about 11, woke up at about 1:30 to check if they were there (they always spend the whole night there once they decide that's their spot for the evening). Then I awoke at 3:30 to do the deed.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
....... the bugger wasn't there ! (He's always there w/ Girlfriend all night long ! But NOW....they were both nowhere to be seen !).

Something must have spooked 'em, and after walking across the street in sweats and socks..... I saw he was on the neighbor's roof.

Checked again at about 5:30...in between strange dreams. Then at 7AM.....he was nowhere to be found even though that's everyday feeding time....I was getting very low, because he was appearing weak yet, despite this, he NEVER misses breakfast. Walked around the block for a bit, seeing if maybe he was taking refuge on another usual pigeon-spot...while sort of coming to terms with the fact that I may never see him again.

When I returned home he popped down outta nowhere !

I took some seed from my pocket & fed him, and made no attempt to catch because I was just so glad to see him. He could still fly, albeit it wasn't snappy....and it was clear he was moving with effort in the air or on the ground. I got the net and kept feeding him, but then he seemed wily to the whole thing.

I had decided to just let him be, hopefully he can get thru the daylight hours again and make it to the porch this evening. He crossed the street and I followed him, dropping some seed. Then I went inside and watched him from my window.

He kept walking around the sidewalk, a bit aimlessly....but foraging nevertheless, and lo and behold...he went into a garage alcove (about 8' wide and 3' deep) of a building across the street.

Lightbulb went on in my head....he was surrounded on 3 sides plus a ceiling....

Grabbed the net again and as I was leaving the building.... the friggin' jackass neighbor upstairs (who always tries to get me in trouble with the
landlord for the pigeons) was coming back from a run. I had to ditch the net and go back inside.
Then the fool decided to stretch outside the front door....and here I am, trapped in my flat and watching Chroma across the street walking around in that alcove. What seemed like an eternity passed, although it probably was only about a minute and a half...and I was about to say 'screw it' and just take the net and walk past the neighbor regardless...when he went inside.

I grabbed the net and ran across the street. I sorta approached gently but cornered him in the alcove while I dropped some seed to distract him. He knew something was up..... and he kept looking like he was gonna bolt, but I just tried to cut off his angles with my body and the net. He tried to jump up and I basically corralled him near a corner. Almost slipped away but I pinned him between net and ground. Grabbed him to my chest....then ran back across the street with him in my arms.

A few folks were on the sidewalk, and some cars were driving by as well...musta been a site to see...

Vet visit says Coccidia plus perhaps very early signs of Canker. Got a blood test as well, results back tom'w. Also, he tore a toenail somehow.....it was healing, not showing infection, but it was bothering him. 275 grams...which was a bit of a shock...cuz' he's a big fella ! He was way thinner than I thought he was...even though had always had ample food I supplied and he would eat with gusto, on a daily basis...good pigeon food, too.

Gotta say...I really didn't think I'd be able to bring him in, in time. I was just having that bad sorta feeling about the whole situation. So...although it's NOT the circumstances I would like to have him here visiting me...whew....seems things are gonna be OK.

Thanks for sticking with the story all the way through. Jeez...I dunno how many more days my heart and head could have taken it.....

Cheers.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Nice job and good story, glad he's in your hands once more. I am sure you will have his weight back up and his health back in proper condition in short order.

Good luck with him,

Karyn

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it was a nerve-wracking 3 days there.....

Well, blood tests are back and the poor guy is a mess. Besides the Coccidia and beginnings of canker, tests show an elevated uric acid level as well as elevated amylase. So....there's something going on it the "gut" as well.

Also...oddly.....it could be that in addition to being thin, he was also dehydrated...as the doc indicated that the high levels can also be caused by dehydration.

Interesting...because if anything, there has been no shortage of water around here lately and I always leave a dish of water outside my porch which pigeons drink from now and again. BUT...he has been drinking like mad since I brought him in.....tons of water.

With so many multiples, it's hard to determine what brought on what, exactly....as when one or two systems start becoming compromised, it can have a cascading effect (although the canker seems to be the most recent thing to appear). So, in addition to Baycox (last dose due today) and Ronidazole, he is gonna start on a course of Cipro today, and then have a blood recheck in a week. Hopefully, the blood levels and other vitals will be moving in the right direction on the recheck.

He seems much better already....drinking alot, eating a good amount and is in a nice warm cage. He's alert, giving me attitude.... and not fluffing so much anymore....

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
If you can get nystatin, give him that while you are giving the cipro so he doesn't get a yeast infection.
I think he wanted you to catch hm all along. He was just playing hard to get.
Great catch.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip- Jedd's has 'Medistatin' - I'll order some of that :eek:

·
Registered
13,047 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Jaye, Your my hero, your just super. Loved the story, glad it ended well. Hate reading stories that end bad. I just weighed all my pigeons and he is really light. My biggest is my King ****** at 653 grams. I just found a wild starling in the dumpster, named him dumpster dan, plan on keeping him until spring he only weighed 73 grams. Found him in a garbage bag feeding on left overs. Actually very calm for being a wild starling. With over 2 feet of snow on the ground probably not much food out there.

Thanks for being a great guy. min

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
good job!!! and great save birds are sooo hard to catch when they can fly still.
hope your little guy feels better real soon

·
Registered
450 Posts
Hi Jaye, I'm so happy that you were able to catch Chroma again, I really hope all the guys that you get at home get better, you are the best!!!

Ivette

1 - 11 of 11 Posts