Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help i have a fledgling dove and l gave it straiaght water.!! I live in arizona and its parents were set free (the person who let them free didnt know about the two babies.) and I found one dead and the other very weak.! It had been accidently abandoned three days ago. Here is exacly what i did.!! first this little white dove has all its feathers but still can not fly. When i found it i put it in my hand and got a lid from a water bottle and gently rubbed the side of its beak. it took it a second and then it stuck its bead in and started drinking the water up. I did this three times. I had some bread crumbs and i crushed them up. when i touched its beak with a litle of the bread. it pecked a few times and then i put it in a baseball hat with wood chips and grass. now i just read that the nest can make it sick!!! HAVE I DOOMED THIS BABY TO DEATH? I JUST DID THIS LESS THAN AN HOUR AGO... WHAT SHOULD I DO??:confused:

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Help i have a fledgling dove and l gave it straiaght water.!! I live in arizona and its parents were set free (the person who let them free didnt know about the two babies.) and I found one dead and the other very weak.! It had been accidently abandoned three days ago. Here is exacly what i did.!! first this little white dove has all its feathers but still can not fly. When i found it i put it in my hand and got a lid from a water bottle and gently rubbed the side of its beak. it took it a second and then it stuck its bead in and started drinking the water up. I did this three times. I had some bread crumbs and i crushed them up. when i touched its beak with a litle of the bread. it pecked a few times and then i put it in a baseball hat with wood chips and grass. now i just read that the nest can make it sick!!! HAVE I DOOMED THIS BABY TO DEATH? I JUST DID THIS LESS THAN AN HOUR AGO... WHAT SHOULD I DO??:confused:
Don't panic--wood shavings won't make it sick. Put it in something else. A small pet carrier or bird cage lined with an old towel or t-shirt is fine. Exactly how old is this youngster? If not yet eating on its own you may have to help until it figures out how to pick up seeds for itself.

Why in the world were the little dove's parents set free? They probably won't survive. Domestic doves are ill-equipped to survive in the wild, don't know where to find food and are easy pickings for predators. :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.