Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my scalped babies have been hand fed by me and as you can see they are getting big and healthy but still missing feathers.

So this guy is now 27 days old. He has been in a nesting box locked up with the last guy below who is 20 days old. I take them out twice a day and exercise thier wings and put them in my landing board cage for 15 mins or so a day.

So my question is...the 27 day old guy....time to be all alone on the loft floor? Or wait another week. He doesnt have full flight yet but is almost there. He is also not weaned yet but I have seen him eat some random seeds and pellets. Also he still gets picked on when I try to leave him alone.
27dayold:

20 day old (the yellow stuff is medicine):

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
If he isn't weaned yet, and isn't really flying well, and still gets picked on when you leave him alone, Then why would you want to put him back on the floor? What do you suppose would happen?

·
Registered
13,047 Posts
I just didn't want to be over-protective.
When they are still babies, you can't be protective enough. They are pretty helpless.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I'd rather be over protective with live babies, than not protective enough, and have them killed or injured AGAIN.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
When I have an occasional oops baby, just before they leave the nest box, I bring them in to let them grow bigger and stronger, and learn to fly well, and be fully weaned. Then I slowly introduce them back to the other birds in the loft. By then, it's a month later, they fly well, eat well on their own, and are spunky enough to protect themselves from bullies, who won't bother them as much at this age anyway. I bring them in and stay with them. It's not hard, as I spend a lot of time with my birds anyway. Then I start to leave them out there for short periods, and watch to see what happens. After I'm convinced that the others are excepting of them, and that they can defend themselves if need be, then I will leave them in the loft. Not before. Now some would never take the time to do this, But my squeakers won't be getting scalped, or worse. And the time indoors with us also gives me more time to bond with them, and earn their trust. It pays off later, as they are friendlier and easier to catch and handle. And we build much more of a relationship. Now my birds are pets, not racers or show birds, so building a relationship is important to me. How can you ever be too protective when you are talking about keeping your birds safe from harm?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's a good plan. These two babies I have been hand raising are so incredibly nice compared to my other birds. If I set them down on them loft floor when I clean thier nest box they stand next to my leg and cry until I am holding them next to my chest. Did not expect to get this kind of warm experience raising pigeons! HAHA!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
When I have an occasional oops baby, just before they leave the nest box, I bring them in to let them grow bigger and stronger, and learn to fly well, and be fully weaned. Then I slowly introduce them back to the other birds in the loft. By then, it's a month later, they fly well, eat well on their own, and are spunky enough to protect themselves from bullies, who won't bother them as much at this age anyway. I bring them in and stay with them. It's not hard, as I spend a lot of time with my birds anyway. Then I start to leave them out there for short periods, and watch to see what happens. After I'm convinced that the others are excepting of them, and that they can defend themselves if need be, then I will leave them in the loft. Not before. Now some would never take the time to do this, But my squeakers won't be getting scalped, or worse. And the time indoors with us also gives me more time to bond with them, and earn their trust. It pays off later, as they are friendlier and easier to catch and handle. And we build much more of a relationship. Now my birds are pets, not racers or show birds, so building a relationship is important to me. How can you ever be too protective when you are talking about keeping your birds safe from harm?
Agree! 500%
You can never be too overprotective. Sometimes I keep mine inside too long just because they are sooo friendly and I have fun playing with them. They don't go into the loft until I see that they can stick up for themselves. I spend more time sitting inside my loft than I do inside my house :D

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Agree! 500%
You can never be too overprotective. Sometimes I keep mine inside too long just because they are sooo friendly and I have fun playing with them. They don't go into the loft until I see that they can stick up for themselves. I spend more time sitting inside my loft than I do inside my house :D
Waynette, that's funny. I know what you mean. LOL. Because my loft is so accessible from the house, I pop in and out. They're so used to seeing me, that they probably think I'm part of the flock.:p

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Waynette, that's funny. I know what you mean. LOL. Because my loft is so accessible from the house, I pop in and out. They're so used to seeing me, that they probably think I'm part of the flock.:p
LOL, whenever mine hear or see me outside they fly to the screen door on the loft and hang off the screen :eek: I have to shoo them off the door before I can open it - I think they like me :D (or I feed them too much)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Nah, if you fed them too much, they wouldn't be able to hang off the screen. LOL.

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
That's a good plan. These two babies I have been hand raising are so incredibly nice compared to my other birds. If I set them down on them loft floor when I clean thier nest box they stand next to my leg and cry until I am holding them next to my chest. Did not expect to get this kind of warm experience raising pigeons! HAHA!
Mine are pets, so I interact a lot with them. You'd be surprised how much they can bond with you if you spend a lot of time with them, and handle them a lot. Of course, when they start becoming more independent, you have to back off a bit and let them come to you. Most of them like it to be their idea and when THEY want to.:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts