Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here is a member of the ARPU? What are the advantages? Is it worth it? I have my registration ready to go. I just wanted to make sure it was worth the $25.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I am but I didnt have to get the membership on my own
IF you are planing on racing pigeons with a club you should be able to give then the money and they can get the membership for you
My club was able to do that for me

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In my opinion it is the best $25 you could spend in relation to our pigeon hobby. There is no other organization that is doing more for advocacy on a national level than the AU. They have their own lobyist that works on capital hill working on bahalf of the racing pigeon activity. The AU provides information and support in regards to teaching, trraining and growth of the hobby. They also provide guidance and materials to help if local zoning ordinances become particularly ugly towards pigeon fanciers. I don't think you could spend your money more wisely.

Dan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. Putting it in the mail.

What type of literature do you get? Could anyone tell me what to expect?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I think you get a yearbook with your membership

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
If I remember correctly, they sent me several very good brochures on the care and maintenance of pigeons along with the AU window sticker and your membership card. I can't remember what else but they have lots of materials on their website that are there for the asking.

Dan

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't belong to club yet, but I'm in contact with a couple. There aren't any super close to me, so I'm having trouble deciding to join... I guess when you send in your membership you can ask for them to have the closest club contact you. So, I'm waiting for that.

I have white homers right now. I guess I could race, but I'm not sure my homers are good enough quality. Once I get my loft built I hope to buy the best quality whites I can find. Maybe then I'll have something good enough to race. I hope to do a few white dove releases with my birds to help with upkeep expenses.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
It makes a difference witch club you join. Find out witch direction they fly from, if possible you want to be in the middle to the long end. On the 100 mi race i'm only 82 mi, thats a lot of time for my birds to try to make up
Dave

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm an AU and an IF member but I don't have to be in any club to get the AU bands...I was told by the club that I can only use my birds in any race ONCE if I join their club, that is something I am wondering...I have to join their club in able for me to race each particular bird in any race...For now it is not my priority to race or join any pigeon clubs (tight budget)...I can get AU or IF bands direct from the source and don't have to race...I don't think it is mandatory to join the race even though I banded my birds with either AU or IF...What matters to me is when they are lost and if someone found them then my birds can be trace, once the founder call the union or the organization...That's my opinion about the advantage being a member of either one...Yes they will send you a yearbook updates in the mail to know what is going on...

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
You are correct you can band from either org. with out belonging to a club, i banded A.U. four about 3 years, at least part of the time, before i ever Raced. But to race in most clubs, the birds must have the A.U or I.F. bands on them. Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, all my birds are banded AU. I banded my squab AU too because it seems to be the prominent club.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
The only advantage, if any, to the club band is, is they indicate what combine the bird flying in. so if you lost, or found, a bird and you know your local combine/club,you could call the combine/club secretary direct to find the owner of the bird. It is kind of a mute point tho, since the A.U. can tell you who owns the bird, even if does not designate the combine on the band. Dave

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
I guess that is what i was trying to say, you contact the A.U., they tell you what club bought that series of bands, give you the race sec's number, and you can find out who owns it, i guess my point was if you know the letters of your local clubs, you could go direct to the club, and save a step, by the way you can join most clubs and not race, "social" members we called them, and it does not cost much, and you can buy club bands. Dave

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The 07 pair of white homers that I bought at a swap were sold by someone who had them given to him. I used the AU bands and by calling foy's I was able to find out who the original owner was.

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
In my opinion it is the best $25 you could spend in relation to our pigeon hobby. There is no other organization that is doing more for advocacy on a national level than the AU. They have their own lobyist that works on capital hill working on bahalf of the racing pigeon activity. The AU provides information and support in regards to teaching, trraining and growth of the hobby. They also provide guidance and materials to help if local zoning ordinances become particularly ugly towards pigeon fanciers. I don't think you could spend your money more wisely.

Dan
I 2nd that also !!

My club and I have both gotten a lot of hands on support from the American Racing Pigeon Union. They even came to our aid when we were working on a Pet Expo project. They showed up in person, supplied equipment, manpower, materials, etc. We also extended an invite, and request for help from the other National group, and they said they would, but then only 1/2 of the equipment they promised showed up, and on that big day, they were a No Show....:( After that experience we said, why are we paying dues to them ?...so our whole club went 100% AU. Been happy ever since.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts