Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Can anyone pls tell what to give for cat attack. Is Amoxycillin better or enrofloxacin (Baytril)? Or both equal?
Also if any idea of dosage and duration?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,478 Posts
We use Synulox aka Clavamox aka Kesium aka Noroclav.

It is a combination of amoxycillin + clavulanic acid

Treats to prevent infection spreading from wounds (and other uses), whereas Baytril is fine for actual internal (systemic) bacteria.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
0.12 mg of Amoxycillin per gram birdweight twice a day for about 10 days. I've had success in the past with that formula. Right now I have a dove that weighs 100 gram and I'm giving him 12 mg twice daily.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We use Synulox aka Clavamox aka Kesium aka Noroclav.

It is a combination of amoxycillin + clavulanic acid

Treats to prevent infection spreading from wounds (and other uses), whereas Baytril is fine for actual internal (systemic) bacteria.
Thanks John,
I advised Amoxycillin in that pigeon rescue group but the rescuer said vet doesn't know much about pigeons and vet has started Baytril now, so I was worried if Baytril is going to work in that, tho I had doubts. Don't know if I should ask to use again for Amoxycillin or synulox or let the vet do where rescuer admits they both are learning together about pigeons.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
0.12 mg of Amoxycillin per gram birdweight twice a day for about 10 days. I've had success in the past with that formula. Right now I have a dove that weighs 100 gram and I'm giving him 12 mg twice daily.
Thanks Marina for guidance on dosage. Have you had any experience with Baytril in cat's cases too?

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
No, have never tried baytril. But if you can't get hold of amoxy, I suppose it's better to use baytril than not giving anything at all.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes thanks Marina, luckily the bird is doing better now. Wounds are drying up. May be the medicine is working or may be the injuries weren't from the cat as the rescuer said it seemed to be from cat claws but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK then great! Let's see, hopefully he should recover :)

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I agree with CBL. Some use one, some the other. They both usually work. I can get Amoxy here, but not amoxycillin + clavulanic acid. Wish I could.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I agree with CBL. Some use one, some the other. They both usually work. I can get Amoxy here, but not amoxycillin + clavulanic acid. Wish I could.

Jay ask ur vet for clavamox it is the same thing and they use it on cats I have some here in a blister pack that I have used for birds and cats. Comes in differnet strengths 62.5 and 125mg.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes we have it here I think for humans easily available.
Wish I could send but the shipping is very expensive... I confirmed... Did you get my message CBL over it?

Attachments

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
Yes, same as Clavamox, but don't have a vet that I could just get it from to have on hand.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pray for slash down in shipping charges, I will send it to you then . Lol

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
I won't hold my breath for that one. LOL.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So keep breathing. Lol. I don't know when you people order something online, what are the shipping charges normally?

·
Registered
29,797 Posts
So keep breathing. Lol. I don't know when you people order something online, what are the shipping charges normally?
Depends on distance and weight.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that came in my mind after I raised the question. Coz same is here too. Sometimes I sound alien to myself to ask such questions like I am out of planet.lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts