Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an interesting and hopefully useful topic. All animals have built in instinct to feed. This is a primary instinct. A secondary instinct is what the individual animal identifies as food. The target of this feeding is formed by the environment. Piranha are a good example. The fish has a primary instinct to feed on moving items in the water column. If the piranha is living in the wild this will come in the form of smaller fish, aquatic crustaceans, and some vegetation. In captivity the piranha have been reared in an artificial environment. The target food item is a pellet or flake food (to avoid infection from living feeder organisms). The primary instinct to feed is shaped to identify these unnatural items as prey. Sometimes a predator fish will have a “pet” goldfish in their area for years without eating them. As long as the primary instinct to eat is satisfied they have no need to look for alternatives. If the primary instinct is unsatisfied, with a change in feeding regimen or other stressors, the piranha will look for alternatives. Usually this means that the “pet” becomes prey and alas a long friendship is gobbled up. This is a good argument for feeding pelleted foods only. If the racing pigeon only identifies pellets as food then they will not be distracted by other food sources in the environment. They will not identify wild seeds or garden birdfeeders as food and race home to satisfy the primary instinct to feed. Birds are not sensitive to smell or flavor but they are to color and shape.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
My mentor did a test a couple years ago, half the OB team got grain half got pellets.
On the 400, 500, and the 600 the birds that got only pellets always came home with muddy feet. When they stop for water they lose the race. Pellets are ok for YB but if you want them to go the distance they need grain.
Dave

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wonder if coloring the grain would make a difference? Use food color mixed in the seed container.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps use pellets while trap training and then switch over to grain as they age.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why would you need to do that?
Dave
I started this thread after reading about birds that go astray. I just wonder how many find a food source and stay rather than coming home.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
I don't think just finding a food sourse would stop them from comong home but, it does make you wonder why the don't come home.
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
One could feed pellets for years. yet the birds would go right after any grain based feed if offered. It is like the dog eating dog food It eats what it has to to survive. If it is pellets for pigeons in the loft Sure they must eat it. Far as sating down for water Weather temps sure makes this happen more then pellets. PLUS a handler that did not feed or water the birds before the release. I will say pellets you have to find the right ration to keep weights right or the birds do get FAT.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
We have a great driver he feeds them on Friday and they have water at all times. Our last 600 is in 2 weeks from Ft. Worth Texas. So heat does play a big part.
Dave

·
Banned
267 Posts
I have used different pellets in the past and just to be frank, I didn’t like the mess & smell. I have always thought and I know I’m probably wrong, the method used to produce & processing the pellets may involve Chemical agents & other byproducts & supplements. But I guess you can say the same when processing Feeds & Grains, but which I consider is too a lesser degree??? Because I think that the Feeds or grains fore the most part retain their natural proteins’ and pellets because of the processing involved, grains & others feeds lose their natural proteins’ thus other artificial supplements & additives are added to replicate natural proteins’ that are lost… AHHHH, and its just a hypothesize theory of mine and really not set on any facts that I have ventured or actually studied,,,, Any Hoot, I’ll just stick to my grains & feeds because I don’t like the Mess & smell of Pellets which just seems unnatural to me…!!!

Louie

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lafebers is a primium pellet for parrots. it is much better than the cheaper brands such as Kaytee. I wonder about the premium brands of pigeon foods found in Pure Bred Pigeon mag. etc.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
I have used different pellets in the past and just to be frank, I didn’t like the mess & smell. I have always thought and I know I’m probably wrong, the method used to produce & processing the pellets may involve Chemical agents & other byproducts & supplements. But I guess you can say the same when processing Feeds & Grains, but which I consider is too a lesser degree??? Because I think that the Feeds or grains fore the most part retain their natural proteins’ and pellets because of the processing involved, grains & others feeds lose their natural proteins’ thus other artificial supplements & additives are added to replicate natural proteins’ that are lost… AHHHH, and its just a hypothesize theory of mine and really not set on any facts that I have ventured or actually studied,,,, Any Hoot, I’ll just stick to my grains & feeds because I don’t like the Mess & smell of Pellets which just seems unnatural to me…!!!

Louie

I know what you mean, I go back and forth with it..and do put pellets in with the grains to make up for what grains lack, like calcium.. non breeding birds do fine on grains..breeding birds seem to have really healthy fast growing squabs if offerd the pellets while feeding young, so both are good depending on what your doing with your birds... mine sometimes get harrison's all organic high potency fine pellet when feeding young..expensive but I give it to only a few that are feeding young and they really go after in a seperate croc in the nest box.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Is Harrison's pellets like calfmama?
no, it is for birds only, this is what it has in it.

Ingredients: *Ground Hulled White Millet (Proso), *Ground Shelled Sunflower Seeds, *Ground Hulless Barley, *Ground Yellow Corn, *Ground Soybeans, *Ground Shelled Peanuts, *Ground Rice, *Ground Green Peas, *Ground Lentils, *Ground Toasted Oat Groats, Chia Seed, *Ground Alfalfa, Calcium Carbonate, Montmorillonite Clay, Spirulina, Ground Dried Sea Kelp, Vitamin E Supplement, Sea Salt, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, d-Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Sodium Selenite.
*CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT

http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/products/hpf.html

·
Banned
267 Posts
Hey Spirit Wings, Would you know if the source of calcium or the supplement calcium compounds or other supplement elements that’s added too or found in the “Harrison's all organic high potency fine pellet” differs from the calcium compounds found in seashells / oyster shells I add to my grit… because I do know that other pellets brands CO. boast to have contain grit in the pellets or just a artificial calcium compound supplement Additive,,, or maybe even both??? Because I guess we both know that there are other different ways and Sources that calcium “Ca” elements can be administered & adsorbed like different beans, grains, legumes, seashells, minerals’ ETC,,, by our birds??? But I guess if “Harrison pellets” say they are Organic, but can it be only that it holds truth only in the Processing & not the additional Additives??? Because a lot of so called Organic co. or products boast about the Organic Processing or the Product, but fail to mention the additional Additives especially if the product is being feed to animals that are not used for Human consumption as maybe regulated by the FDA and or USDA, when placing a claim or boasting in writing of such, that when the product(s) states that’s its an all Organic product no artificial supplements’ can be added…???

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Hey Spirit Wings, Would you know if the source of calcium or the supplement calcium compounds or other supplement elements that’s added too or found in the “Harrison's all organic high potency fine pellet” differs from the calcium compounds found in seashells / oyster shells I add to my grit… because I do know that other pellets brands CO. boast to have contain grit in the pellets or just a artificial calcium compound supplement Additive,,, or maybe even both??? Because I guess we both know that there are other different ways and Sources that calcium “Ca” elements can be administered & adsorbed like different beans, grains, legumes, seashells, minerals’ ETC,,, by our birds??? But I guess if “Harrison pellets” say they are Organic, but can it be only that it holds truth only in the Processing & not the additional Additives??? Because a lot of so called Organic co. or products boast about the Organic Processing or the Product, but fail to mention the additional Additives especially if the product is being feed to animals that are not used for Human consumption as maybe regulated by the FDA and or USDA, when placing a claim or boasting in writing of such, that when the product(s) states that’s its an all Organic product no artificial supplements’ can be added…???
I do not know, you would have to ask the company, but assumed it was from
shells of marine organisms. we have to add calcium suppliment to all grain diets and if that is all you use then the oystershell would do the trick if the bird is eating enough..sometimes they don't though.

·
Banned
267 Posts
Ok spirit wings, I found the Calcium source additives that are contain in the Harrison’s pellets one is Calcium carbonate and d-Calcium Pantothenate also called pantothenate or vitamin B5 both compounds of which can be artificially replicated in the Lab or can be extracted naturally and either one can be used when processing feeds for animals or humans as a calcium supplement … I guess I answered my own Question when I seen that you listed the Ingredients’ then I also seen that they say “CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT” By whom??? Would be my next Question? But over all, from what I have read I wound lean more to using this Harrison pellets then any other product I have seen or that maybe out on the Market…!… Thank you Louie

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Ok spirit wings, I found the Calcium source additives that are contain in the Harrison’s pellets one is Calcium carbonate and d-Calcium Pantothenate also called pantothenate or vitamin B5 both compounds of which can be artificially replicated in the Lab or can be extracted naturally and either one can be used when processing feeds for animals or humans as a calcium supplement … I guess I answered my own Question when I seen that you listed the Ingredients’ then I also seen that they say “CERTIFIED ORGANIC INGREDIENT” By whom??? Would be my next Question? But over all, from what I have read I wound lean more to using this Harrison pellets then any other product I have seen or that maybe out on the Market…!… Thank you Louie
http://www.harrisonsbirdfoods.com/learningcenter/why-organic.html

1 - 20 of 71 Posts