Pigeon-Talk banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sharing a pic of my little black Ancient hen.

I worked very very hard for this bird. She came in with a group of 3 very sick birds that ended up costing me countless hours of intensive care (including force feeding so they would survive) and over $300 in medical expenses. Ugh. She was the last to fall ill, so when the other three were finally well enough to return to the seller, she was still sick - so I ended up letting her stay. (Yep, I received 4 sick birds, and sent back 3 parasite-free, vaccinated, healthy birds, up-to-date on meds, I'm a sucker LOL)

Well, the upside was she ended up laying two eggs after I sent back the others. One egg was fertile. I have it being fostered under a friend's racers, I really hope it hatches!

Anyway, here she is (in her glamour shot, LOL)
I named her The GooGoo Muck, she is super tiny and a real handful - all attitude but because she has been in quarantine for so long she has gotten to where she hops out of the cage now and lets me pick her up, even though she grumbles and grunts when I put her back to make sure I don't mistakenly think she might like me. :eek:

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
how adorable!, wish I could see a pic of you holding her to get the size. will you be breeding any of this breed?....how did you come up with googoo muck:p:D

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks! I'll get a pic holding her so you can see how small she is. I am breeding the Ancients, though I have to get a new cockbird for her - hopefully in the next few weeks. Right now I am hoping her one good egg hatches! Now that will be one cute baby.

The Goo Goo Muck is a song by one of my all time favorite old bands - the singer died recently and the name suits her funny little personality.

·
Registered
20,301 Posts
Thanks! I'll get a pic holding her so you can see how small she is. I am breeding the Ancients, though I have to get a new cockbird for her - hopefully in the next few weeks. Right now I am hoping her one good egg hatches! Now that will be one cute baby.

The Goo Goo Muck is a song by one of my all time favorite old bands - the singer died recently and the name suits her funny little personality.
hope the egg hatches, that would be great, she kind of remindes me of a warsaw butterfly or "polishowl" here is a pic of one, if you have not seen them before, I would like to get a pair when my breeding loft is finished.
http://www.polishowls.com/zdjecia/young/(66).jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love the Warsaw Butterflies! Beautiful birds!

Ancients have large eyes, but not like the Budapests. You can see great pics of Ancients at the ESF Club site:

http://www.esfclub.info/ancient.html

She's actually a really excellent representation of the breed. She should produce some really great show birds if paired with the right cockbird.
:)

·
Registered
11,455 Posts
Ah, I see :) I think I saw some old pictures once in a magazine of both budapests and ancients in the same page. Probably got them confused.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the egg is hatching today!! Yay! I hope the little one survives!! It's torture not being there while it's hatching, but I was just at my friend's yesterday... and it's a good 45min drive. He keeps calling to report, apparently she's 2/3 the way out! I'm excited! I can't wait to see this little baby.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My first Ancient baby hatched!!! My friend is going to get a picture, but apparently she is SUPER EENY TEENY! "Like a piece of dust!" he said. He's used to big racers, LOL.
Pics soon I hope!

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Bless you karijo for helping that bird! Frankly I've never heard of ancient pigeon. LOL! For the moment there I thought it was Oriental Roller because they are known to be really an old breed.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks! :)

I think the thing I love about Ancients most is the way they stand. They are so tiny, but they stand like they are saying "I'm the best!". It cracks me up.

I'll get pics of this eensy weensy baby soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts