Pigeon-Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. We had a little accident tonight. Angie, our male King Pigeon follows my wife around constantly, and she accidentally backed up and stepped on his toe.

Afterwards he started limping, and standing on the other foot. He can walk on the bad foot, but he seems in pain.

I've attached some photos and it looks like that back right toe is going off to one side, instead of straight back. In the more out of focus photo it's the foot on the upper half of the photo and you can see the nail bends to the side. On the other photo it's the foot on the left, and you can see the toe is slightly bent and raised.

Angie Toe Injury 1.jpg

Angie Toe Injury 2.jpg

Obviously we both feel really bad, and my wife feels really bad.

Any suggestions on ways to calm the pain, or how to deal with it? She plans on taking Angie to the vet tomorrow.

Thanks,
Arthur

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Are u sure the nail wasn't like that before? Lots of pigeons have it turned on the side.

I think he will be fine in less than a week. You can warp his foot with bandage cloth a few times around each toe . And if you put more padding underneath that will make it easier for him putting less pressure on his toe when he walks.

If there's no swelling he will hop again soon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi.

No, the nail was like the other one, straight back.

My wife took Angie to PetCo where a vet adjusted the toe (after administering anaesthesia) and gave us some medicines/antibiotics.

He should be fine. We're keeping him in the cage for a day or two so he can try to rest and not do too much on his feet.

-Arthur

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Hi.

No, the nail was like the other one, straight back.

My wife took Angie to PetCo where a vet adjusted the toe (after administering anaesthesia) and gave us some medicines/antibiotics.

He should be fine. We're keeping him in the cage for a day or two so he can try to rest and not do too much on his feet.

-Arthur
Hi Arthur,

What do you mean adjusting his toe? Was it broken?
As far as i know anaesthesia could be fatal to pigeons. Can you give more description of what the vet did, for the records?

Thank you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts